Bench Seat Options

I know we've covered this before but I'm bringing it back. Just looking for ideas on what kind of bench seats work in the MJ.

I just removed my buckets so I could fit two munchkins in the MJ and now I'm missing my center console storage and arm rest. Plus, I've got a gray interior and a god awful tan bench, aghhh.

Here's some pics of Dakota and S-10 seats. Wondering what other possibilities are out there. I'd like headrests, some storage, drink holders are nice, but it must seat an adult driver and two little ones. I don't care about ease of install, I'll fab something up using MJ brackets.

Here's a Dakota seat, forgot the year. Its just sitting there so I may grab it anyway since it almost matches the MJ's gray and has a pull down arm rest.

8117548487_a856692047_z.jpg

Another Dakota seat but it has no console.

8117560694_b6f8469642_z.jpg

A pretty awesome S-10 bench. Has the arm rest and integrated drink holder and storage compartment, as well as headrests.

8117562242_42875b84d9_z.jpg

Maybe,its seperate from the seats.

Only real issue is it kinda tall once you put it on the trans tunnel,I set my seats pretty low which is why they don't line up with the console but I think they still sit higher then factory seats. So it might not line up very well with XJ seats.

How tall are you Mnky? I'm 6'2" and I love the added leg room my worn out and sagging MJ bench offers over the buckets. How is the legroom with those seats compared to MJ buckets or an MJ bench? And you can still throw a little tyke in the center right, it has a belt, he's 8 yrs old btw so he should fit. Also, seems like a Dakota seat may be too wide, how's the fit on the sides?

Thanks!

Jay

I'm 6'0" the truck had some old GM car seats in it when I got it so I've never had factory seats. The leg room feel comperable to my XJ though, It does have a belt and my 9 year old fits in it. I have had small adults sit there in a pinch.

The seats are a little wide but seem to fit ok,Also with the seats setting a little higher I get lots of comments on the visability especially when off road,people can't believe how much better you can see just from sitting a little higher.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just gonna go ahead and admit that I'm quite silly when it comes to keeping original fit/finish on things like this. I love my factory buckets (need reupholstered) and I just know it would drive me crazy to have some different seats in there that either sat too high or were offset to either direction. It seems that with every "custom" seat install I've seen on here you're gonna be faced with that to some degree. I'm just too sceptical of my ability to arrange custom bracketry to my satisfaction.

But the ability to carry along my soon-to-arrive mini me is something I'm really wanting to have, so I need to do something. I'd go with a factory bench seat if they had offered a 60/40 split with a center console and headrests.

The only thing I can come up with right this moment is building a very basic, narrow, fold-down jump seat for the 8" wide spot between the factory buckets (don't need to have a storage console) and have a professional upholster it when I get my seats redone.

Thoughts?

oh yea and a cupholder integrated would be nice

Edited by A-man930

I don't know how stringent things are with car seats in the states, but the new Canadian standards are enough that seats from a couple years ago don't meet them. I don't know how well you could rig something up in that space that would meet them. That being said, I also really like my crappy torn buckets. Could you get a commercial rear-facing infant seat and then build up some kind of secure mounting system into the eight inches?

I like my worn out bench because it gives me more leg room and my fat 6'2" backside could use it. Still have my buckets up in the attic and they really never wore out as far as I can tell. I just want a place to put my elbow on and something to hold my drink.

I said "drink", not "beer"! I know what you were thinking! :cheers:

I don't know how stringent things are with car seats in the states, but the new Canadian standards are enough that seats from a couple years ago don't meet them. I don't know how well you could rig something up in that space that would meet them. That being said, I also really like my crappy torn buckets. Could you get a commercial rear-facing infant seat and then build up some kind of secure mounting system into the eight inches?

I'm thinking like 5-6 years from now when he/she is well out of a carseat. No shortcuts on safety for a little-bitty one!

I like my worn out bench because it gives me more leg room and my fat 6'2" backside could use it. Still have my buckets up in the attic and they really never wore out as far as I can tell. I just want a place to put my elbow on and something to hold my drink.

I said "drink", not "beer"! I know what you were thinking! :cheers:

:cheers: what?! :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...