Ranger 60/40 Bench Seat Installed

My bench seat kinda gave up the ghost so I decided to upgrade to a 60/40 with a center console and headrests. Unfortunately my drivers' side seat is damaged and missing the center console lid, but I only paid 20$ for both of the seats, and it took me approximately 3 hours to install the driver...20 minutes to install the passenger. If people are interested I'll post up better pictures.

I just wanted to post this because there isn't much info about the seats on here.

General info:

Comanche seatbelt buckles won't work, you'd be better off with a set of cherokee seat belt buckles because they're an inch or two longer. I'm also considering getting the ranger buckles and making the integrated seat belts work(easily removed or installed otherwise).

This isn't a bolt up application; if you're really patient you 'could' make this work using bolts...but I opted to just weld everything.

The fit isn't absolutely perfect(see pictures), but it's very close, seats are decent and it adds a very modern feel to the truck. The transmission tunnel proves to be difficult with our truck and these seats.

If you're tall, this may not be the best option for you. I'm 5'8", 5'9" on a good day...I can touch the ceiling with my head if I really try(sitting up straight, ect) That might just be because my bench was saggy as can be.

The seats move forward dramatically 'and' they flip forward - easy access to behind your seats.

Overall I'd call it a 7/10. I'm fairly happy with the results considering 20$ spent. :thumbsup:

my 2 cents: MJ bench seatbelts and MJ bucket seatbelt are different. and I'm assuming MJ bucket seatbelts are the same as XJ seatbelts. just an fli for anyone raiding the junkyards :thumbsup:

I really like this swap , as I would like to have buckets ,but need a bench at times so this setup would be ideal :thumbsup: I'm vertically challenged at 5'7" so the higher seat works for me . Could you give more detail /pics of your install ? :cheers:

I'll do my best to explain; it's sort of hard to convey it, but mounting the seats was terribly easy.

Ranger seats have 4x brackets per seat; one of them requires removal, two of them require modification; the rear most outters locate the seat almost perfectly on both sides.

First off, I removed the inner front bracket(the one that hits the transmission tunnel....I cut it, hit it with a hammer and then welded it to the outer most front bracket(Put it over the bolt with the seat in, vice grip it, then remove it and weld/bolt it). See here:

For the rear; make sure the sliders are aligned and then make some sort of tab that'll reach the rear mount and the bolt, vice grip it, weld it. See here:

Bolts right in now. Make sure you use washers.

Ranger seats have integrated safety systems(Auto adjusting seat belts and fully framed for collision strength), luckily the opening for our belt buckles is exactly where it needs to be..slip the belt through(this is why you need cherokee buckles, they're longer), and bolt it down.

That's really all there is to it. The ranger bench is 1" shorter in width, you'll most likely notice it on the passenger side, but who cares? I don't sit on that side!

I took it wheeling today, the easily adjusting back is 'great' for setting yourself where you need to be; I also had a passenger for a portion of the ride..he stands at probably 5'11" - 6'0 maybe more, he had no clearance issues as far as his head. I think the seats needed to be broken in a little.

Hope this helps!

How's the height on the Dakota seats?

Those look great.

How much would a set of those cost?

My MJ had some crappy chevy car seats screwed to wood blocks in it when I got it so I don't know how they compare to stock but I think the hieght is similair to my XJs factory buckets.

I'm 6'0" and they feel alright to me.

Prices vary depending where you get them,I scored mine for free.

I got mine out of a late model...I think it was a 2000?

I like the ranger seats better than the dakota seats mainly because 1. I'm not a fan of the style of the dakota seats(I just don't like the colorful gray fabric that Chrysler uses), and I like the 'bench' being the same height as the buckets. Reason being is I have a habit of laying across my front seats for whatever reason; that was the main reason for keeping the bench instead of making Cherokee buckets work.

That, and there's nothing like having a girl snuggle up while doing 65 down the freeway in an MJ. :D

I did also mention that my tall friend has no problems with height in my jeep; I can touch the ceiling if I try my absolute best to, as in sitting on the highest point of the seat and sitting upright....I did a comparison and the ranger seats only sit about an inch or two higher than my old bench seat.

My seats aren't colorful,they are just gray. The center seat would normally be level with the buckets but I offset mine to get the buckets a little lower.

The Dakota seats also have built in retractable adjustable cup holders and adjustable lumbar supports.