Project "vasi" 1987 Comanche

Had alot of jeeps, but never an mj. Picking it up Thursday night. It will be a daily driver/competent trail rig. As soon as I got pics I'll post them. It's a 4.0 with an auto tranny. Now I need to acquire the 231shortshaft/teralow I sold to my pops a couple years ago.

• 2 months later...

Tuneup and all fluids changed today. Hell creek suspension should ship next week. Maxxis 255 85 16 tires will be in on Monday. Got my second set of rubicon Moab wheels last week so that's what the maxxis tires are going on. Pics soon!

pics coming next week. tires picked up today, maxxis 255 85 16 on rubicon moab wheels. Hellcreek sent me my tracking number at 1700 today! crazy busy the next few weeks but I am going to try to get started on it asap. I'll get up before during and after pics.

• 1 month later...

SO I decided to leave it at the height of the 4.5 to 5" lift. Put 32"s on instead and kept the 33's for my TJ. I like the ride and the height, power is good with the aw4 and overdrive is still useable. I also put a new muffler, tailpipe, alternator, idler pulley, and a new belt on.

Digging it! It's turned into my daily driver, and I have hauled two 1400-1600 pound loads of wood home on my 127 mile return trip.

No spacers. Front has no issues and the rear kissed the frame at single sided full flex. But it seems fine. I could eliminate it with spacers or bump stops. Haven't decided which route I want to go just yet. Next is a new header

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Work is continuing, albeit it slowly with my work status on disability. I am going in for surgery later this month, and thinking of dropping the truck off for paint at a buddy's shop. He will be painting the exterior, interior door panels, fender wells etc.. Also thinking of having him paint the shell, and apply the vinyl stripes and "CHIEF" on the door panels. They will be installing a lund visor, Bushwackers, line- x'ing the bed and the floorboards, after repairing the floorboards rust.

Need a little help from all of you:

1.Where can I find the CHIEF lettering and Vinyl Stripes for my truck? The vinyl can be done by my paint guy, but the "CHIEF" letters for both doors.......

2. Where can I find a bumper / tire carrier? I don't want it in the back of the bed, and it won't fit underneath, I got to have a good tire Carrier. I like Hanson type bumper / carriers

3. Where I find a two slide, rear sliding glass window be found? I have a single piece sliding window, but I'd like to get one with two as it will match the wildernest

4. I have a noise/clank/rattle whatever when cranking the steering from left to right or when steering while driving, and I cannot figure out what it is. I have new steering, new control arms, new track bar. It was there when I got the truck and is still there.....................

5. Would you have the wilderness painted to match your truck? I am leaning toward yes, and toward 2014 toxic orange / ppg 921365

​6. Any alternative or aftermarket grills out there?

6. Lastly, thinking of going crazy and painting a lot parts underneath. Whats the best way to paint bolt heads without getting too much paint on them?

Edited by Usamedic

Make sure the trackbar bracket to frame bolts are as tight as possible. And by that I mean go to town with an impact if you can get one in there. If you search, redwolf had a huge thread about this, called "loud pop" or something like that.

I like that tent :) where did you get it?

It's a wildernest. They went out of business in 92 or 93, and have a cult like following not unlike Comanches. Fairly simple really, but it can be hard to find parts in good condition. They were made for full size and small pickups in both long and short bed.

Couple dedicated websites for them out there too so some good info is available