"too High To Get It Right" Portal Comanche

8407738699_0453e8c617_z.jpg

I'm going to follow your lead on this.....I've got three switches to mount and I refuse to mutilate the dash or instrument cluster any further.  I've already got my ARB switches in where the fog light and trans power switch would go.  I've got a couple of spare small consoles to work with so what the hay?

and some more details on that TC mounted E brake set up would be nice.  It's reminiscent of the old Willys WWII ebrake system.  

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the first test drive today.... and i need to do something about the brake, pedal went down to the floor, so have to buy a bigger master cylinder. 

8683278682_a8a109b325.jpg

May or may not have let out a slight moan when I saw that. Can you feel my jealousy radiating across the big pond?  :bowdown:

I'm going to follow your lead on this.....I've got three switches to mount and I refuse to mutilate the dash or instrument cluster any further.  I've already got my ARB switches in where the fog light and trans power switch would go.  I've got a couple of spare small consoles to work with so what the hay?

and some more details on that TC mounted E brake set up would be nice.  It's reminiscent of the old Willys WWII ebrake system.  

Good :) I got the idea from this site http://www.prime4x4.com/shop/Switch--Control-Panels/Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-84--96-Coin-Cup-CC-Series/p/8496-Cherokee-4-Illuminated-Rocker-Switch-Panel-sku-SP8496XJ-CC002.htm

Regret that I didn't use switches like that, at least the bottom one...

More details on the E-brake will come...

Did the first test drive today.... and i need to do something about the brake, pedal went down to the floor, so have to buy a bigger master cylinder. 

May or may not have let out a slight moan when I saw that. Can you feel my jealousy radiating across the big pond?  :bowdown:

Well when it comes to Jeep and 4x4 we have a lot more things to be jealous at you people over there :)

• 1 month later...

Well here some new picture, have painted the front axle, installed a snorkel, made some adjustment to the handbrake ( lock up the tire easy on gravel :)  )   installed the new 1-1/8" master cylinder but the pedal still goes to the floor.... must be some air somewhere in the system...   the portal axle are hard to bleed because two of the wheel cylinder is upside down.

9106566895_d28cc9ba64_z.jpg

9108794518_ffc6473db9_z.jpg

Not offroad friendly but easy to remove :)

9106567985_1ec2f492f8_z.jpg

The snorkel

9106568677_c502b3ff11_z.jpg

CB-Radio and a Psycadelic fire extinguisher

9108795532_bb5bf58ce0_z.jpg

220v converter

9106569693_e179f33940_z.jpg

the handbrake or e-brake    uses ford scorpio rear caliper.

9108796614_308266ed5a_z.jpg

A view of the rear.. nothing fancy....

9106570107_d2c4ef49a7_z.jpg

9108797120_b1991675b8_z.jpg

9106570809_5461f7b6d5_z.jpg

The front driveshaft is pretty close to the exhaust system but it won`t hit

9106570577_6605d2723b_z.jpg

Well the car cost me 15000:- And the Axle 20000:- ....   But a Front Dana 44 and 2 ARB and new gear would have cost alot more...

I really, really hope that is not the cost in USD... :ack:   If it is, it makes all of the money I have in my Cherokee look like pennies.

Well the car cost me 15000:- And the Axle 20000:- ....   But a Front Dana 44 and 2 ARB and new gear would have cost alot more...

I really, really hope that is not the cost in USD... :ack:   If it is, it makes all of the money I have in my Cherokee look like pennies.

Hehe no its in SEK   here you have it in US Dollar  2300   3088

• 2 weeks later...

Did a highspeed test a couple of days ago.... And it gets deatwobble, but the trackbar and one tierod was in bad condition so I order new ones, will have them later this week.

And still don`t know what tire to buy....

Pitbull Rocker 39.5x16.5       A little to big and Expensive

Superswamper LTB 40x16    To high and they seem to lie ALOT about the how wide it is?

Nitto Mud Grappler LT385/70R16 D130Q Good Price but don`t know if they Really are 37.72x15.35?

I think some Baja Claws would look mean on it but I can't comment on them beyond that. Most aggressive tire I've ever had was made by a now defunct company, so I'll be weighing my options as well once I need new tires and do my lift.

I think some Baja Claws would look mean on it but I can't comment on them beyond that. Most aggressive tire I've ever had was made by a now defunct company, so I'll be weighing my options as well once I need new tires and do my lift.

Yeah Baja Claw would look good but I`can't find any that are 15" wide or more? and under 40" tall.

Yea, seems most of those that are 35"+ are 12.5" or so. Looks like the width really cuts into what is out there, not even BFG's famous T/A KOs come in that width. Their Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 comes very close at 14.5 but then the rim size would be all wrong for ya.

Yea, seems most of those that are 35"+ are 12.5" or so. Looks like the width really cuts into what is out there, not even BFG's famous T/A KOs come in that width. Their Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 comes very close at 14.5 but then the rim size would be all wrong for ya.

Exactly must be 16" rim  

Super Swamper trxus sts have some good size but I think the tread are a little to street friendly

Yea, not very off-road aggressive looking, kind of the same reason I don't like the BFG T/A KOs. Not aggressive enough in my eyes and, in my experience, not very good in off-road conditions that count most to me. Mud and snow.

There has to be something out there, check out companies like Cooper (have some pretty sick ones called Wildcats, not sure the sizes though) and such. The smaller brands have always been what I preferred, and most are actually owned by the big name brands.

• 2 weeks later...

Well replaced the trackbar and steering tierod, but had to change back to the old trackbar because the new one had some super soft rubber bushing... think i gonna replace it with some polerythane.  The good news is that their is no more deathwobble :)  but it got bad vibrations in some speeds but i think i blame the tires for that :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well havent made much progress....  Use it as daily driver when the weather is tough..   

Made some small adjustments to the E-brake so now it work a little bit better,Had some vibration from the rear driveshaft so i made a new one with just a single joint and now it is vibration free.