Draining the gas tank

I need to drain the fuel tank so I can drop it tomorrow, unfortunately it's at 3/4 right now. I tried a siphon tonight, but could never get it down to the fuel, there must be something there blocking it. Can I simply disconnect the fuel line at the pump, point the hose into my gas can, and fill it up? All I would have to do is turn the key I think, because that usually pressurizes the fuel system. Am I not thinking of something that would prevent from draining it this way?

There's a block built into the filler tube to prevent siphoning. I remove the filler tube from the tank, insert a hose into the tank, then pressurize the tank with an air hose. Your way will work but with a 3/8 inch hose it will take a little time.

I need to drain the fuel tank so I can drop it tomorrow, unfortunately it's at 3/4 right now. I tried a siphon tonight, but could never get it down to the fuel, there must be something there blocking it. Can I simply disconnect the fuel line at the pump, point the hose into my gas can, and fill it up? All I would have to do is turn the key I think, because that usually pressurizes the fuel system. Am I not thinking of something that would prevent from draining it this way?

Yes, it will work.

Might want to wear some eye protection just in case it gets crazy down there.

Turning the key on without starting the engine will only turn the pump on for a second or so, then it'll shut off. When I did it I unplugged the harness by the tank and hotwired the pump to keep running. I guess you could do it at the fuel pump relay as well.

I've used one of these drill pump for years. It's good for draining gas tanks, auto trannys, changing oil, and real good for motorcycle forks as you can suck everything out w/o pulling the fork/wheel. I've even used it for pumping water from heat pump condensation pans out the window. It'll pump anything and pumps surprisingly fast. You can use 1/2" garden hose and it comes with reducers for smaller hoses too. One of the best tools in my box.

ITT-17250-0003_lg.jpg

in addition to having the best looking MJ? :bowdown:

Thanks but even I don't believe that. :D

Notice Bama's already woopin' up on Michigan? 21-0 and that's just the 1st quarter. The only way Michigan can move the ball is backwards. It will be a boring second half as Bama will downshift to the mercy mode.

I lied. While I was typing Bama just scored a field goal; 24-0. :yes:

Ah well, all schools all go through those football cycles to the nadir then back out. It's rare here though when both UA and Auburn are in the pits together. Since both my daughters are Bama graduates and we have attended a lot of games in Tuscaloosa, it's difficult to be an Auburn fan when the Tide is having a bad year. But we suck it up. Mo betta than Florida, Georgia, and especially Tennessee winning the SEC. :D

Okay, thread hijack complete. Sorry.........