aw4 swap, pending deal: VERY IMPORTANT!

I apologize if the topic title makes me sound a little demanding, but it is time crucial. I have posted on Craigslist an ad to trade or sell my AX-15 and i recieved a call from a fellow this evening. Here is what he said.

He said he has a 94 Grand Cherokee 4x4 that has the 4.0 HO with an automatic Trans, I assume it is the AW4.

He is willing to give me the ENTIRE vehicle, minus the axles, coil spring setup, and something else, can't remember, nothing that I would need for the swap, in exchange for JUST my transmission, no T-case.

before i go any farther with this deal there are several things i would like to have clarified.

1. Isnt 94 before the Grand cherokee (ZJ?) came out?

2. If yes, i've never heard of them coming with the 4.0

3. Did any Grand cherokee come with the AW4?

4. If the everything checks out and it is just what he says it is, is this something that could be swap-able???

I have a 1990 eliminator it will be going in that has be gutted to the max.

thanks for all the help guys

:thumbsup:

The factory manual only lists the 42RE, 42RH and 46RH for 1993ZJ. It may be possible a PO swapped in a AW4.Or maybe he has a XJ and doesn't know the difference. Make sure you know what a AW4 looks like and go look at it.

Thanks guys i really appreciate the information :cheers: , I will let the guy know that unless he can send pictures to prove it is an AW4 100% I won't be able to do a swap with him.

Unfortunetly, the gentleman is over 3hrs away :( so i can't exactly walk over and take a look for myself. But barring the fact that the transmission has a high percentage of not working, if I did the swap anyways I could probably get over 400 in just scrap for the thing and local junkyards are asking between 250 to 325 for their AW4. Not to mention i wouldnt mind getting the head off of that HO for my stroker build.

I will ask him to send pictures just to be sure he doesnt have his jeeps confused, just in case he is mistaken and he has the typical cherokee were there any other transmissions that came in them besides the AW4?