4.0 alternator

I have a 88 comanche. Ive tried everything i can think of and can't get my alternator to charge. I have been told you can convert a stock alternator to a one wire. Wondering if this is true. Or how much trouble it would be to run a gm one wire

I just replaced the batt for that reason. I had it tested before i brought it home. Does the computer control the charging system.

No. If the alternator is good, it should be charging if you have voltage at the stud all the time and 12 volts at the yellow wire with the key on.

I just replaced the batt for that reason. I had it tested before i brought it home. Does the computer control the charging system.

No. On the GM alternators, the voltage regulator is built into the alternator. The ECU has nothing to do with it.

If the battery tests good and the alternator tests good, there's obviously a wiring problem in the vehicle.

No. On the GM alternators, the voltage regulator is built into the alternator. The ECU has nothing to do with it.

If the battery tests good and the alternator tests good, there's obviously a wiring problem in the vehicle.

And according to the OP, the wiring is good...........

And according to the OP, the wiring is good...........

No, he said he checked the fused [sic] link. That's only one of the wires in the charging circuit.

The direct answer to the original question, though, is that the alternator can be replaced with a delco one-wire. But, with an undiagnosed problem lurking somewhere, I'm not convinced that doing so is a good idea.

On the other hand, it could be brilliant.

:???:

FWIW, I've had two NEW (not rebuilt) alternators from Auto Zone (their Durolast Gold line) that were DOA out of the box. And people to whom I have mentioned that typically respond with, 'Yeah ... that's normal."