Weight Amounts - Engines

I'm thinking of possibly getting another 2.5 engine down the road to tinker with / disassemble to add things to my own. How much does a fully dressed 2.5 weigh? And by "fully dressed" I mean, a complete block w/out a tranny, with full options on the motor (a/c components etc.)? Just want to get a rough estimate to see if I can just use my MJ to go pick it up. I read on a post a while back that it weighs close to 800 lbs, but I can't remember if that's with or w/out the tranny; is that right?

On a related note, if I were to pick up a 4.0, how much does that weigh in at? Same conditions as the 2.5.

A 4.0L with transmission and accessories is around 750 pounds.

think.gif

So it's probably safe to assume that a 2.5 with transmission and accessories is just shy of 650 lbs most likely? Also, on an unrelated note, is your icon from an anime, or from a very detailed drawing? I've been wondering that for the longest time now... :yes:

I'm thinking of possibly getting another 2.5 engine down the road to tinker with / disassemble to add things to my own. How much does a fully dressed 2.5 weigh? And by "fully dressed" I mean, a complete block w/out a tranny, with full options on the motor (a/c components etc.)? Just want to get a rough estimate to see if I can just use my MJ to go pick it up. I read on a post a while back that it weighs close to 800 lbs, but I can't remember if that's with or w/out the tranny; is that right?

On a related note, if I were to pick up a 4.0, how much does that weigh in at? Same conditions as the 2.5.

I picked up a 2.5L with auto tranny (but no transfer case) in my MJ and didn't even know it was there. Also hauled a 4.0L with 5-speed & transfer case with no problems. You're looking at maybe half the rated capacity of your MJ.

• 2 weeks later...

Red Rocker79:

Do us all a favor when you load that 2.5 into your truck by running the truck over some scales with the load and then with the truck empty. That way, we will all have a valid weight for next time the question comes up!

Well my Comanche has hauled AMC-V8s around, It actually carried one all day every day for 5mo nobody would help unload it ! I actually herniated my groin when I unloaded it myself ! !

I also used to load a pallet of salt on the bed for salting commercial sized condo walks in the winter time ! ! ! Truck's previous owner towed his fishing boat with it all the time too.

My truck is a shortbed 2wd, AMC-2.5 I4, AX-4 4spd, D35 with 3.73s comanche.gif

Mike