Chrysler 8.25 rear axle

This is my first post on the Comanche Club forum. I have a d35 rear axle that is leaking and has bent shafts. I want to swap out the d35 for a Chrysler 8.25 out of a 97+ xj. I know it will need new perches welded on. What other modification will need to be done? Will this be an easy swap? Any info regarding brakes and fit would be helpful. My Comanche is an 87 4x4 with a 3.55 gear ratio. It also has a 2.5 inch lift. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks! -joe

I elongated the stock shock mount holes to fit a larger diameter axle tube. worked ok. :thumbsup: new perches would be better. pay attention to the orientation of the shock lower mounts as they are different than XJs.

I thought the 8.25 had a slightly longer snout on it?

I elongated the stock shock mount holes to fit a larger diameter axle tube. worked ok.

I did the same with my 8.25 swap.

I thought the 8.25 had a slightly longer snout on it?

It does. I had my driveshaft made up when I did my 4wd swap years ago. At that time, I kept with the dana 35 and I had a couple inches of lift. Since then, I've swapped to an 8.25 and about another inch and a half of lift due to my Metric Ton springs. The driveshaft was a little short for comfort after the springs, but after the different axle went in the shaft was just about right.

Clean off all of the mounts before anything else. I want to say that there would be clearance issues with the u-bolts otherwise. Also, if you're going as far as an axle swap, might as well add some dana 35 Grand Cherokee disk brakes too. Easy enough to do... just enlarge the center hole a but and everything just bolts in place.

... and don't be silly with yourself like I did. If you're going spring under or over, just add the spring perches that you need. Hauling around extra steel that'll never get used... all I'm doin now... why would I think that was a good idea anyhow?... should've just left it alone... I digress...

I did not elongate the holes any more than they already had been from the factory and the 3" diameter u bolts fit through the plate no problem.

The 8.25" does have a 1" longer nose, so you *may* have to shorten your driveshaft a bit.

I located my axle and I’m going to get it this Friday. They have already pulled it from what they say is a 97 XJ. I want to make sure I’m getting the one with the 29 spline count. Is there a way to tell the difference other than size?

$25 a piece for u bolts is not a good deal. I have my u bolts custom made while I wait locally. 4 bolts, 8 washers and 8 tall nuts usually run ~$27 total.

I do like Ruffstuff Specialties spring perches and shock mounts, though. They are what I run.

I located my axle and I’m going to get it this Friday. They have already pulled it from what they say is a 97 XJ. I want to make sure I’m getting the one with the 29 spline count. Is there a way to tell the difference other than size?

97+ should be the better ones. :thumbsup: far as I know, they are all identical on the outside. maybe the tag has some info? :dunno:

IIRC barnes4wd.com is cheaper then ruff stuff and just grab the spring plates from the xj the axle came out of. ubolts are a toss up. most are around the same price. i got some from autozone because i needed them that day.

I cannot get ubolts locally without waiting.....I have got lucky in the past and have bought them from the autoparts store for 22-25 apiece. Its nice to have a turn key setup. Ruff Stuff is high quality parts. Discount is nice too...search for discount codes..

I have not tried to hook the DS up yet....if its too short, ill just have the stock shaft shortened but that entails driving 70 miles one way so I hope it just works. After the small suspension lift I have my fingers crossed.