Help! Belt problem...

I have a 1991 with belt problem. I purchased a year ago and previous owner warned of belt problem. Belt was squeaking and replaced several times due to squeaking to no avail. Belt dressing works for a while. I had no problems until last week, I just let it squeek, but gave a liberal soaking and squeek free for a few days then frayed. I replaced belt with best quality belt and it frayed again a few days later? All pulleys seem to be in proper alignment and are tight. I do not see a belt tensioner. Any advice or assistance would be appreciated.

There is a tension bolt beneath the P/S reservoir behind/below the pulley. Remove the air box and auxiliary fan for easy access to the bolt and to the anchor nut the bolt rides through. Test your belt tension or use the rough rule-of-thumb by twisting the belt at the long span between pulleys. 90 degrees is your goal. Less is too tight and past 90 is too loose. Also, clean all the grooved pulleys out with a wire brush or pick to get any rubber build-up.

Jeep10 had the exact same symptoms, and belt eating.

It was the PS pump pulley not on quite far enough on a replacement pump done before he got the mj.

Pay very good attention to the pulley alignment.

The belt is riding up on the balancer some now so I will replace balancer. My usual mechanic will not do this repair. What is going rate for this? Is it possible to do this without removing the bumper or too many other components? Any walk-thrus for this? Just pull balancer and replace? Size of bolt? Torque required? Any advice would be appreciated...

• 2 weeks later...

I called mechanic. He replaced balancer but unable to bolt it back on properly. He tells me that the threads on the crankshaft are damaged. He purchased another bolt but same. The alignment is one groove off. I think what he means is that the bolt is not gripping deep inside and so the balancer can not be properly tightened all the way down.

I was waiting for someone else to comment.......

I know full well what he did, he used the bolt to draw up the HB. Either the HB was not aligned or the bolt was cross threaded, either way he stripped the threads out.

How's he gonna fix it?

I know what I would do.......but then I'm not an animal that would have done what he did.

You know if things aren't going well.......ya stop and have a smoke and come back to it in a few minutes....but no, some guys just plow ahead.

• 4 weeks later...