Remove Tail Gate?

My buddy gave me a call to say there was an MJ with a good tail gate at a local wrecking yard.

My MJ never had a tail gate so I don't know what it required to remove it.

I'm guessing there is not much to it but just in case...

Do I need any specific tools or special driver bits or anything like that or is it just normal wrench work?

Thanks!

Don't even need a tool at all. Drop the gate, pull it up by the pivot in the limiting straps so they bend up, this should allow you to take those off. With the gate at about 45 degrees, pull at the 45 degree angle on the right side, and it should just pop out. Then shift the whole thing to the right to get it off the other side.

Rob

God I wish I read this read 2 days ago. I stripped both the pass side bolts on the bottom and side of tailgate trying to remove it. One is still stuck halfway out. The drv side came off fine. FYI the bolts require Torx 40 screw. FML :doh:

just about every truck tailgate comes off this way. maybe there are some that don't, but none that i know of :dunno: but yeah, thats why most of the new trucks on the road today have locks on the tailgate....because you only need your own two hands to remove a tailgate, as long as you can drop it. and unfortunately, we need every bit of theft protection we can get these days because :USAflag: isnt what it used to be

just about every truck tailgate comes off this way. maybe there are some that don't, but none that i know of :dunno:

Early model Chevy S-10s don't have a pop off tailgate..you have to unbolt them.

Ask me how I know. :yes: