The Wyomanche

New build thread with actual progress happening!

Circa: 2008

I bought this truck a few years ago. I moved from Northern MN to Casper, Wyoming a few years ago to work as a welder for a company that builds mining equipment.

I was looking at CL one day and spotted this truck on there for 800 bucks. Drove 200 miles in a snowstorm to go look at it at a creepy junkyard in Cheyanne by myself. I bought it the next weekend and drove it 200 miles home. (to casper) Truck had 212k. 88/4.0/pukey/2wd.

I ended up moving back home shortly after buying this pretty much rust free, awesome running, grandpa owned since new, truck. A buddy of mine's boss drives OTR; he hauled it home for me.

Pic the day after I got it at my apartment in Casper.

After I got it home to MN. With the painted snowflake wheels gone! Overlooking a local steel mine.

I used the truck as a couple times a week DD for work which was a 40 mile one way commute. I did regular small fixes on the truck but it proved its stone dead relibility over and over.

Changed the rear main seal on a sheet of plywood in my parents dirt driveway was the biggest fix to date. Did nothing but change oil and put gas in, in 2009, 2010. 2011, I found some turbines with decent tires and mounted them up.

Pulls my ATV trailer nice.

Sold my DD XJ. Been driving my CTD as a DD most of this winter. Working on my MJ plow truck and wheeling XJ took up most of my time this winter. Finally got the garage cleaned out last week and pulled it inside. Started pulling parts.

2wd front gone!

Ordered some parts,

More pics of what I'm dealing with:

Under passenger side rear window. Cracks.....

Tail lights need attention

Thats pretty much all I got for now.

Plans: "Restomod"

Combination IRO/Hell Creek suspension parts to get to 3" of lift

New UCAs and LCAs

New ball joints, hubs, brakes on 98 XJ HP Dana 30, 3.55

New brake lines

Replace all hoses/vaccum lines

Valve cover (97+ steel) with new gasket

Open cooling conversion

Fix Drivers door hinge

New driver front fender

Might replace doors or at least the driver door

New bumpers F and R JCR front basic and homebrew rear bumper with receiver hitch

Get rid of junky tool box and replace with MJ rollbars or new toolbox

265/75/16 tires on TJ Rubicon wheels

Chysler 8.25 swap with disc brakes

Bright White paint

New windshield and rear slider

New WJ master cylinder/booster (gotta do more research on brakes)

Maybe a clutch (hoping this one will make it to the trans swap)

These are the plans for now to get the Jeep roadworthy again. I have not decided what I would like to do for a transmission/t-case yet so it will stay 2wd for now. I plan to use as a DD in the warm months.

Future hopeful plans,

NSG370/NV3550/AX-15 swap with 231 or 242 case

Line X bed liner

Interior work, rebuild bench seat, new steering wheel, shift boots

4:10 gears (axles have 3.55s now)

Bushwacker Flat Flares

I'm not very good at telling 'stories' like this so please if I missed something important, please speak up. :wavey:

Stay tuned...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was the junkyard owners truck. It was not in a area that could of been pilfered for parts. His grandson was driving it for a few weeks and decided he didnt want a truck, wanted a car. :doh:

Stripped the donor 30 tonight and got it laying under the jeep. Got forced to go out to dinner with my sister and brother in law. :shake:

Worked for a bit today to finish up the front suspension save for the track bar. Got a call to go into work tomorrow so It killed my ju ju for the day.

Back on four wheels for now.

Also spent a little time attempting to clean up the greasy mess on the drivers side of the engine compartment and the frame rail where the track bar mounts and back. Had a beer and called it a day.

Still gotta order spring perches and Hell Creek 3" leafs. Maybe next week.

Good eye. There is actually 3 of them there. 2 whites and a red. One white is going on the first scrap load this spring due to serious rust issues. I gotta get my parts inside been everything has been kinda mess lately.

Called Hell Creek today to order my 3" lift leaf springs.

2 weeks late. Now I may have to wait up to 6 weeks for them. :wall: Oh well. Talked too a guy by the name of Tom for about a half hour on the phone. Very nice guy!! I couldnt help but order the springs from him. Hes "Hell Creek" on here.

Anyway, since I'm probably not going to be seeing my suspension till the end of April or beginning of May, I started working on other things. Replaced the two vacuum harnesses today, along with installing a 97+ valve cover with new fancy fel pro gasket. Ran some engine flush through the engine, and changed the oil.

Looking at this last pic, it should be white in the battery compartment. I need to find a good degreaser...I've tryed most everything I can use with my low pressure garden hose. Think ill have to load it up and haul it to a carwash....

Also did some research on brake upgrades. Picking up a master/booster out of a 01 WJ tomorrow. Should be able to get that bolted in, then Ill be on the hunt for a Liberty to steal the rear brakes off of for the disc swap on the 8.25 this truck is getting.

Found my tires that I'm going to run on this truck. Jeep club member bought a new tow pig (traded a LB7 D-max in for a 6.7 Mega CTD) and took his tires off his old truck before he let it go. 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATs. Once my buddy buys my built D44, ill pick them up. Sometimes deals just fall into your lap....

• 2 weeks later...

Little teaser pic I took for myself of the new to me Hankook Dynapros on the Rubi wheels. Will not be able to fit them on till the springs arrive. They are 265/75/16s which are like a 32/10.50/16. Tires are load range E so they are HEAVY.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a small electric pressure washer and some more degreaser and went to town under the hood. Looks good now. Did I take a pic no. This is the only one I have. Box is coming off tomorrow.

don't mind my finger in the pic

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a solid day of work on this! jamminz.gif

First project was to get the WJ Master/Booster installed.

Used a step bit to drill hole out to 5/8.

Little firewall pinch seam massaging.

Next project was to get the IRO Double Shear Track Bar installed and finish up the front suspension. (for now)

Box coming off.

Bought some of this after 3 hours of sanding on the paint and really not getting anywhere.

Tried it out on a spare (junk) tailgate I had laying around. (Not yours Ben..)

You can see in this picture that stripper stuff made short work of the hockey stick stickers on the side of the box. Also takes the paint off, but leaves the factory primer. I will still sand down the whole box. Found some bondo, in goofy spots around the gas filler door. Factory maybe?!

That was the day. I have a solid few hours of pressure washing to do on the truck and finish stripping paint off the rest of the truck. Then off to body work, and finally paint. Gotta go get a new driver fender yet and some material to fix the drivers door hinges.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a bunch of powerwashing after I pulled the bed off.

Some awesome welding skill I found

Check out the heavy spatter! Wow!

Pulled the drivers door, driver fender, header panel and radiator yesterday. No pics, you guys seen that before... I have some hinge work to do and I have to replace the drivers side fender. Will be going to open cooling system.

On a side note, my Hell Creek springs shipped today! jamminz.gif

Got the new springs in the mail last week.

But I couldnt really do nothing till I ordered spring perches for the donor 8.25. Quick run to Ruff Stuff site took care of that in the form of a 3" axle tube simple swap kit. Very nice kit; almost didnt want to weld on these fancy plates!

This was extremely easy with the bed off! I carefully unbolted all the brake lines and such.

Notice my awesome pink project admirring chair. I sit in that and drink beer and stare at my project. I have a green one too but the pink one is more comfy for some odd reason!

Perches and shock mounts installed.

Axle loaded in the Eliminator to be brought in for sand blasting later this week.

Heading off on a vacation next week so there will be no forward progress for a bit. :(

Next up is a new aluminum raditor, hoses, water pump, t-stat, and the conversion to an open cooling system. -boring stuff-

Took a day of vacation to get caught up with somethings around the house. Wanted to mow grass but the freak out of nowhere thunderstorm shut that down. So perfect time to throw the MJ back together quick to get it on its own wheels.

I painted the 8.25, and also my Hell Creek springs due to some slight surface rust.

Bro in law stopped over this morning to help me set the box back on the truck to see how its going to look.

I think it looks great. :chillin:

Next on the list is getting it running again with a new water pump, raditor, (open cooling).

Then the bodywork and paint. Something I have NEVER done before.... :(

I do plan, just for heck of it, to get a estimate on a pro paint job. But I really want to learn how to do it myself...

• 2 weeks later...
Local parts company is advertising an 02 Liberty if you are still looking for the brakes. http://omaha.craigslist.org/ptd/3002019420.html

Yes I'm looking for brake parts. Most folks parting vehicles will not just sell the parts I need. They want to sell me the whole rear end. I will not pay 500 for a 8.25....

Took a few pics today of the 91 next to the 88 in the garage too see the difference the 3" lift made....Pretty surprising...