Holy mainstream attention.

Automan2164

From Automobile magazines "10 cars we want back":

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/n ... anche.html

Jeep Comanche

GONE SINCE: 1993

WHY IT'S TIME: America needs a reasonably sized pickup truck again. We've watched the Toyota Tacoma morph from a smallish truck to something almost as big as a half-ton. Meanwhile, Ford, a brand synonymous with pickups, recently abandoned the segment completely. Jeep is the only brand that can get away with a back-to-basics pickup in its portfolio, and basing the pickup on the next-generation Wrangler makes a ton of sense. The Comanche was affordable, had very respectable payload ratings, and never succumbed to the size creep that essentially killed the small-pickup segment. For a modern interpretation, a turbo four-cylinder from Fiat would give the Comanche enough power to haul cargo without swilling too much gasoline. Keep the options list limited to functional upgrades, and make sure it's offered straight from the assembly line instead of through a complicated Mopar kit, a la JK-8.

THE BOTTOM LINE: The only way to curb America's appetite for oversize trucks is to offer a credible small truck that actually uses less fuel than a full-size.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/features/n ... z1oWjnAq4U

Friggen sweet!

Rob

When was jeep ever independent? Willys-Overland produced makes other than the Jeep. Kaiser Motors sold cars under the Kaiser and Willys nameplates while they made Jeeps as will as their many industrial ventures...AMC made cars under the company name of AMC, Nash, Hudson before and after buying jeep as well as making military vehicles, buses and delivery vehicles, major home appliances, commercial refrigeration, and lawn care products. After 1980 and during the formation of the XJ/MJ Jeep was under French control via AMC/Renault much as it is under Italian control now.... Although it was closest to being an independent under Willys-Overland it has actually been small sub-division of a corporation forever and especially every since 1953 when Kaiser took control of Willys....

I think the fact that they have more parts-bin availability than before as well as a new leadership makes it more likely now than ever.

I hate the suggestion to use the Wrangler platform would be an obvious choice to make a pickup. Honestly the Wrangler has grown into a $35k Jeep like any other. The key word to selling a compact pickup is cheap! I never liked the JK8 in any format just because it'll cost a mint and it's huge! If someone wants to spend the cash for Chrysler to hack up their new Wrangler just to put a shorter than 6' useless bed aka Jeep H3 SUT. The market went upscale and expensive, not the auto companies. We just showed them the way in lackluster sales. That being said they killed the Cherokee and that sold like crazy right up to the end. At first sight of the current Commander I thought it would be a direct replacement for the Cherokee, later did I know it would be an inflated expensive flop.

I'm all for the new Comanche but the car companies aren't, it's too much a niche market not unlike this forum.

I hate the suggestion to use the Wrangler platform would be an obvious choice to make a pickup. Honestly the Wrangler has grown into a $35k Jeep like any other. The key word to selling a compact pickup is cheap! I never liked the JK8 in any format just because it'll cost a mint and it's huge! If someone wants to spend the cash for Chrysler to hack up their new Wrangler just to put a shorter than 6' useless bed aka Jeep H3 SUT. The market went upscale and expensive, not the auto companies. We just showed them the way in lackluster sales. That being said they killed the Cherokee and that sold like crazy right up to the end. At first sight of the current Commander I thought it would be a direct replacement for the Cherokee, later did I know it would be an inflated expensive flop.

I'm all for the new Comanche but the car companies aren't, it's too much a niche market not unlike this forum.

I have to agree here. Good points. If jeep were to make an INEXPENSIVE COMPACT pick up they could really do well. Look at companies who use fleets, a small pickup with decent fuel efficiency is needed, exterminators, construction, DOT, etc all use small pickups. Ford no longer has one. The Dakota is too big really the only thing I see in this segment is the colorado and toyota. If jeep did it right and offered a truly rugged compact pickup they can't lose soapbox.gif

Someone came up with this a while ago, I kinda like it... Because it matches my WK :shake:

It needs more ground clearance and bigger tires, It would look better with the 08-10 style WK headlights instead of the 05-07 style.

but for a SRT-8 concept that would be awesome

416928_3395532007601_1248744812_3449357_2138814783_n.jpg

that happened to that Photoshopped J-10, that would be a good FSJ, lol

If you want to make a new Comanche... The Liberty platform is significantly stronger than the XJ was and could be moded just like the XJ was modded to turn it into the MJ..... image_209027.gif

Bingo

Brandon