Leaf Spring, Normal? Safe? Replace?

Yesterday I used my comanche to haul a pretty sizeable load. And I fear I may have inverted my leaf springs, However they may be like this normally or could have been damaged prior and I just never noticed. I've tried to find photos on the net for comparison but most seem to not show a good angle.

So in my photo i placed a level for a straight edge on the top of the main spring. The bed is unloaded and I'm SOA, as you can see it appears the main leaf actually bends down at the end of the 2nd leaf (assuming main is #1) it even appears this at the front mount too. I'm using XJ shackles to minimize the SOA lift.

The reason I question it is because the bends seem pretty uniform (meaning both sets of leafs and at both ends), but it doesnt make sense that they would turn down unless damaged.

Options for replacement:

I do not want to add any more lift in the rear. I'd love to have more hauling capacity (swapped in D44 2 years ago). I've been looking at the Hellcreek MT and Motion Offroad MT spring sets. I know they give about 1" lift due to spring ratios, but then because I'm SOA there will also be added lift due to the increase in thickness, and added leaf. Other Options?

Does anyone have the measurements of the total pack of the 3+2 metric ton so I know the material lift difference.

There are no u-pull wrecking yards around me, so building up a spring pack is out. I've also called the good old boy parts stores and they didn't know of any spring places that could reshape them.

418841_3028748872369_1072232659_2784785_899293304_n.jpg

394099_3028748232353_1072232659_2784782_401556931_n.jpg

426046_3028749312380_1072232659_2784787_826583377_n.jpg

398528_3028750192402_1072232659_2784789_165091766_n.jpg

Thanks for the fast response. You'd replied prior to me finishing correcting my gramer and adding a question regarding replacement packs, but those are moot if my springs are in "typical" condition and safe to drive.

The wife will let me get new springs if it's unsafe, I'd love new MT springs, but $500 for springs by the time they're shipped is a lot.

Although new MT springs mean more potential headache with added lift etc. I managed to get my SOA to about a 4 inch lift, and adding the mt may create a 2" increase in rake and I'm not a fan of that much more rake.

I would think that more important than a little sag would be cracks. Clean the leaves up and look for hair line cracks running across the leaf.

I could not find any cracks, however I do think the springs are toast after my haul. Was under it today trying to find the cracks and decided to measure from top of tube to inside frame from bump stop. and am only measuring 11.75" at best. I thought this seemed really odd, so I looked it up and on the Info pages 9.2" is stock.

I'm running SOA and should have 4.5" lift in the rear from axle tube and leaf pack relocation then xj shackles to reduce some.

so the springs are flattened by almost 2".

This is what happens when you don't account for moisture content in sand. Yes it was stupid, but I hauled a yard of sand/decomposed granite in my truck about 2 miles. On their board it showed about 1500 lbs... so i figured ah it's close and i'm close but i'm pretty sure it was closer to 2200 lbs.

It did drive surprisingly well thought with the weight.

Motion Off Road MT springs vs. HellCreek MT?? As far as springs they are both to factory spec, however HellCreek uses smaller bushings than OEM and Motion is a bit cheaper..... PROs Cons of either?

HellCreek has awesome customer service. And I'm leaning heavily towards them.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18111&start=15

980 lb. capacity = 7.62" free arch, OEM part #89-52-002-312, 3+1 configuration

1100 lb. capacity = 8.75" free arch, OEM part #89-52-001-240, 3+1 configuration

1160 lb. capacity = 9.25" free arch, OEM part #89-52-002-351, 3+1 configuration

1220 lb. capacity = 9.75" free arch, OEM part #89-52-001-824, 3=1 configuration

1280 lb. capacity = 10.25" free arch, OEM part #89-52-002-350, 3+1 configuration

1440 lb. capacity = 9.12" free arch, OEM part #89-52-001-825, 4+1 configuration

1700 lb. capacity = 9.50" free arch, OEM part #89-52-003-676, 3+2 configuration

Are the metric ton spring Packs that are new rated at 2200lbs? Isn't that a metric ton? Or is it a metric ton minus 1/4 us ton :)

1500lbs for 2 miles and your worried!? I haul up to 2300lbs in my truck 3 times a week over 50 miles with no issues! I am NOT kidding when I say the lightest load I have ever carried in the bed was 1500..

are you running metric ton springs?

might want to look into doing that. :thumbsup:

just so you know, the bolts holding the bumpstops up like to snap. an alternative is to weld a bracket to the axle. after mine snapped off, I moved the whole bumpstop down to the axle. :yes:

Pete, This may sound like a dumb question, but how did you determine the height of the bump stop.

what i was thinking... when sua the bump hit the axle tube, now that i'm SOa I need to add about 2.75 inches above the spring pack for the bump stop to engage on???

I agree with all before, check carefully for cracks though especially on top of the main leaf under the u-bracket bolt. That bolt will actually wear down the top of the main leaf creating a weak spot. Happens over years of heavy use though, not on one load. If you get new springs and heavy hauling is in your future I'd look for military wraps.

We've got a set of air bags sitting on the shelf from the ford. Debating on making a quick removable setup with it so i could through on the airbags for hauling if need and swap out with typical bump stop in everyday driving.

the only down side to the air bag is i'm still using the portion valve in the rear and if i held the truck higher with the airbags the rear brakes wouldn't increase.

once it reaches the bumpstops, it matters less how much more you add. :D

Is that a half yard of 3/4 minus?

I've been researching some numbers vs weights of materials....

1 cuyd 3/4 minus 2800lbs

1 cuyd sand 2600lbs (Low Moisture/Dry)

1 cuyd decom granite 2700lbs (Low Moisture/Dry)

So by my own admission I hauled 1/2 a yard of sand and 1/2 a yard of decom granite at the same time w/o bump stops and SOA. The bed did not rub on the tires. I ended up hauling 2650lbs minimum, let alone the sand and granite were damp.

I plan to replace my springs as I'm uncomfortable with them after examining two comanches at my local home Depot that were pretty loaded. Their springs did not have a downward turn in the last 4" of spring. My concern is there is now a weak point in the main spring and it will snap when i'm taking my dirt bike up the hill.

I really want hellcreek MT springs. And have every intention of buying them, however UPS seems to think they need lots of money to ship them and it just makes it over an acceptable investment into the truck. So now the debates begin... Get rid of it, get used springs from junk yard, or bite the bullet and get hellcreeks.

I just really can't understand how I can get so much weight in my MJs!? I have a scrap metal receipt showing 2560lbs in my MJ last week and the bump stops were still not even close to touching the axle. I scrap metal 3 to 4 times a week and have never turned anything in unless it was 1500lbs or more. My MJ is known around this area for being "One of the toughest little trucks".