Bumper Stumper

My name inspiration came from Mitch's comment.

Anyway, time for an update. Lots has happened in the past few months with the ole MJ. Nothing that I had planned either, but It's probably for the best. This truck is my daily driver, and I put around 1000 km a week on it. The wear and tear has taken it's toll. In the past 3 months I have replaced the clutch and clutch master, starter, battery, fuel pump, plugs, wires, cap rotor, rear shocks, steering wheel (finally), tape deck, speakers, wheels and tires.

I have new parts to do the entire front end waiting to get installed. I'm still on the lookout for a set of suitable bucket seats, and bumpers. In the next month or so it will be heading to the paint shop for derustification, and repainting. I think I'm sticking with red, but have been tempted to go black, just cause I love black trucks.

Currently the guage cluster is dead. I fill up the tank every other day just to be sure I don't run out of gas. Probably a fuse, but I did smell some kind of burning a couple weeks ago. All the warning lights and shift lights are also dead. The speedo never really worked. It moves, but not past 60. So I'm also hunting for a metric cluster with cable driven speedo.

I'll post some new pic's soon.

Project Hella Ugly update,

Well this morning crusin' along the hi-way in 98deg weather my rad finally decided it couldn't take anymore. It split right under the top tank. Thankfully traffic wasn't too bad today. I was able to get out of the fast lane and move over 6 more to the next ramp before the engine conked out from the carb getting wet.

Now I got a new all aluminum rad. The rad shop guy said that this rad would be fine to run in front of a 350. Looks great too.

I don't like the feel of this one it's too skinny.

I agree. I put me one of them fancy steerin' wheel cover/wrap thingies on mine about 5 years ago to thicken it up some....it's held up surprisingly well....

I've been scouting the 'yards in search of a good condition newer style black 3 spoke wheel, but haven't found one yet that's been worth pulling. I like the looks of them better than the 2 spoke. Maybe I'll get lucky this weekend <>

Image Not Found

Pretty sure I have like 4-5 of em laying around on columns. If only I can figure a way to separate the wheel from the column, to make shipment easier....

you need yerself one-a-them fancy bolt pullers I think. I finally got around to swapping mine, and it was so loose all it needed was a bit of wiggle, and a hammer. I went with a 12" black and red leather wheel. I fit it up with a grant adapter + a custom one I had fab'd out of a hunk of stainless steel + a quick release. Looks great, but now I need a tilt column so it doesn't feel like I'm driving a "Sports Bus"

A steering wheel puller kit is less than $10 guys :D

However, you can most times get the wheel off the shaft with a small hammer....tap the shaft quickly and lightly directly in the center, and it will impart vibrations that will walk the wheel up the splines on the shaft. The big problem with that method is being too ham-handed with the hammer, and you end up mushrooming the end of the shaft, or fubaring the threads.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
Yay! another all-black (AMC) interior. That makes 3 of us that I know of here that have it :D

Jeff

Make that four of us :chillin:

within a week make that 5.

I have the dash, seat belts, and steering column to go black with the 3800. everything else is already in.

well back to the bumper thing the late 80's and early 90's dodge ram bumpers fit (not to ruin your giys conversation or anything) lol

Dodge Ram or Dakota? Seems Ram would be too wide? ( I have the black interior as well)

Good eye ComancheRob. The I'm in Whitby. The truck is in Stoufville until tomorrow.

Not too far from me, we should start a Ontario MJ Club, Seems to be a lot of MJ's in Ontario, mostly southern and central ontario.

I'm a stone's throw away from Ontario... Well, OK, about 3 football fields away... Damn river....