2.5L 1990 MJ. Noise after Shutdown?

Hey all,

So...recently the truck has developed a noise after shutdown. Hard to describe the noise exactly. Sounds like a slight grinding noise, rather than a squeal. Happens for a few seconds almost every time. Currently its about 10 degrees out here, so I have not had time or warmth enough to check it out further. I thought Id get some opinions on where to look first. My only 2 thoughts are: Stuck starter gear? OR Fan clutch bearings?

-Erin

Starter has absolutely nothing to do with shutdown or running. It's used for startup..

Fan clutch could be a good bet. I would start it up, let it warm up, pop the hood, and have someone shut it off while you listen for the noise in the engine bay.

If the gear stays engaged after startup it could be the starter, with the noise not being noticeable over the engine. If it is, it will almost certainly burn up in the next few days.

Fan clutch can be checked by hand in about 2 seconds.

Could also be the throwout bearing.

no weird noise coming from the throwout bearing otherwise (ie, when I press in the clutch) I will check the fan clutch when I get a helper to turn off the engine while I have my head under the hood. I have had the "stuck" starter gear before, and it sounds similar....Thanks for the tips! I'll report back when I know more.

Yes...Like a half second after shutdown. And...also...why check the gas pedal? I'll know more tomorrow when I have a helper, but any additional info would be appreciated. I suppose a sound like a clicking relay (only really loud) From inside the cab it sounds like its coming from the drivers side?!?

-E.

There is a little motor that sets the throttle under the hood at shutoff [on drivers side, top of engine]. It moves the throttle cable about a quarter of an inch so you should feel the gas pedal move. Mine has 'buzzed' since day one, and only buzzes [for lack of better description] about a half-second after shutoff, for about a second. If you have a helper, have them shut off the engine while you are looking under the hood. It'll be easy to spot.

Not sure what it's called, or if they're available. I'm sure a salvage yard will produce several, but they may be in similar condition. I'm sure one of the veterans around here will come up with the correct name for it. I considered greasing/lubing/somethinging mine to lessen the noise since the plunger that moves appears 'dry'... it may be a friction situation but am hesitant to put anything flammable on it due to the proximity of the engine to it [inches]... so I just live with it and consider it just another 'quirk' of the truck.

I'll see if I can get a pic of the little beastie.

Ok, I went out to get a pic of it... used a LED flashlight and cell phone camera so sorry if its not the best pic in the world. I hope this is the same part that is what is making noise on your rig once you check it out at your end.

Image Not Found

I have a similar problem with my 88 pioneer 4 liter. It's the servo for the electronic cruise control. If I turn off the cruise control on the turn signal mounted control, the noise stops immediately. I don't have the noise after every shut down even if the cruise is on. I am curious, by the way, of any others who have this system. It appears to be factory installed but I have never seen any reference to it in any of the repair manuals.

I'm pretty sure this is it:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0336299362

They also show one with a new bracket for $150!!! I'll have to call and make sure this is in fact the right one. It looks like the one in the truck. I did confirm that is the noise. Looks easy enough to replace....Id also like to know if any of the "gurus" know of any place to get it cheaper....

-E.

What threw me off is you described it as a "grinding" noise. Mine sounds more like a CD player loading or ejecting a CD. Mine is 25 years old, I think it's allowed to make a bit of noise. When it quits making noise is when I will start to worry about it.

If you really listen to it, it sounds like a frozen DC motor, which is exactly what it really is. Buzzing/grinding, CD ejecting....could all describe the noise, from different perspectives really. I did confirm that is the problem....Any idea if the link I have is the correct part?