Stock coils...

• 1 month later...

I am pretty sure why he is asking is because I traded him a set of V8 ZJ coils and they actually lowered his truck an inch.

I know the coils came out of a V8 ZJ (see the Betty build to see pics of it before I stripped it). I feel terrible about the whole thing. I remember the coils I sent were heavier than stock MJ coils. But, can't remember if they still had the part number tags on them.

Anyone out that has any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a set of NEW (never installed) XJ Up Country coils in the garage somewhere. I'll try to remember to measure one in the morning. I am certain they are XJ Up Country because I took the part numbers of my then-new 2000 XJ before I had it rust-proofed, and I ordered the same part number. XJ Up Country used the same front coils as ZJ V8 standard suspension.

With the spring resting on the closed coil, for a used, standard XJ 4.0L spring the free length is 17-1/2" to the top of the open end. For a NEW Up Country coil, the free length to the top of the open coil is 17" (even). I wasn't equipped to measure the wire thickness, but it looks and feels like the Up Country spring is thicker (which makes sense).

• 4 weeks later...
Is there a part number on them? 2wd and 4wd are different too.

I'm not so sure there is much of a difference. Might be 1/2" or so. I have 2wd MJ springs outa my 88 laying next to 4x4 XJ springs out of a 98, and they are VERY close. I'm thinking the 1/2' difference is because the settling of the MJ from the last 24 years.

Is there a part number on them? 2wd and 4wd are different too.

I'm not so sure there is much of a difference. Might be 1/2" or so. I have 2wd MJ springs outa my 88 laying next to 4x4 XJ springs out of a 98, and they are VERY close. I'm thinking the 1/2' difference is because the settling of the MJ from the last 24 years.

Maybe ... maybe not.

Note that when I measured a used standard front coil and a new Up Country front coil, although the Up Country suspension sits 1" higher than standard the Up Country coil was 1/2" shorter. But it was also visibly thicker wire.

You can look up the formula for coil springs on the Internet. The point is that free length is not the only factor. The variables in the formula are coil diameter, wire diameter, free length, and number of coils. Change ANY one of those and you have a different spring. The only variable that's usually constant with XJ/MJ/ZJ springs is the coil diameter. The others are all subject to change, so just knowing the free length really doesn't tell you anything.