Can this be done and how much is involved?

I just picked up a 1989 short bed Comanche with a 4.0, 2wd, Pukegeod :ack: transmission. My questions to you gents are following:

Does a 1996 XJ Transmission and Tcase just bolt on to the Comanche?

Will I need a new wiring Harness

What other foreseeable issues may I come across during this project (drive shafts, clearance, etc)

The day I picked her up.

Towing it with my Cherokee

Most of the Body work has been completed.... Working on the engine now (only 129K miles on it)

I don't see any problems with swapping in a 96 manual transmission (AX15). The 96 transfer case uses an electronic speed sensor, though, while your speedometer needs a mechanical one. I know the 92 and 93 transfer cases they can be swapped, but don't know if it's that simple in a 94 or newer one as they changed some things inside the transfer case.

patience my good man. contrary to appearances, we don't live in front of our computers. :D is the XJ an auto or a manual trans?

I'm an IT guy, so I'm always in front of a computer :hateputers: Anyway, the XJ is an automatic and my MJ is manual.

That would be an AW4, and I'm fairly sure for 91 through 96 that the TCU is party of the ECU. You'd want an 87 through 90 one with a stand alone TCU.

Good to know.... Sounds like I need to sale the parts I currently have and find me an 87 - 90 XJ. Thanks

That would be an AW4, and I'm fairly sure for 91 through 96 that the TCU is party of the ECU. You'd want an 87 through 90 one with a stand alone TCU.

91-95 OBDI models all had separate stand-alone TCUs and will interchange throughout the OBDI years even though they have different part numbers. You can use the 96 AW4 in your 89 IF your existing wiring harness has the TCU connector wired-in to the existing harness. I'm not sure if it is. Look up under the lower dash, right side, and see if there is a 26-pin rectangular connector hanging there.

Do the OBD I TCUs need vehicle speed input? If so, does the transmission have a separate output shaft speed sensor for this, or does it rely on the speedometer one?

If it relies on the speedometer one, then how do you work around this, as his dash needs a mechanical one for the speedometer to work?

[hijack]

Out of curiosity (and for my own need, as i still need to get one to swap into Sparkles), am I correct, then, to assume for 96 it is part of the ECU? And more importantly, is the 91 through 95 AW4 transmissions fully compatible in a 96 XJ, or are there problems with missing sensors and/or different wiring harnesses.

[/hijack]

Do the OBD I TCUs need vehicle speed input? If so, does the transmission have a separate output shaft speed sensor for this, or does it rely on the speedometer one?

If it relies on the speedometer one, then how do you work around this, as his dash needs a mechanical one for the speedometer to work?

Don't think this is a problem. To lock/unlock the torque converter the OBDI AW4 TCU uses the signal from the electro-mechanical speed sensor in the tailshaft housing (2WD) or T-case adapter housing (4WD), same as the Renix AW4s, same part number even.

Out of curiosity (and for my own need, as i still need to get one to swap into Sparkles), am I correct, then, to assume for 96 it is part of the ECU? And more importantly, is the 91 through 95 AW4 transmissions fully compatible in a 96 XJ, or are there problems with missing sensors and/or different wiring harnesses.

Not sure about the 96 OBDII TCU/ECU integration. They do use the same tranny speed sensor as the older models however. IIRC, the control electronics in the AW4s are all the same; it doesn't care if signals to the four solenoids come from a separate TCU or from a TCU/ECU if the appropriate vehicle wiring harness is used.

AX-15 and NV3550 will be the same amount of work. The only electronics for them are the CPS (which depends on what year wiring you have), and the reverse light switch, which worse case will require splicing wires.

I believe the NV3550 is stronger than the AX-15, but not a concern unless you really need it. (I'd probably have to burn up two AX-15s to justify hunting down an NV3550)

Really the only other consideration is the gearing.

AX-15

1st - 3.83:1

2nd - 2.33:1

3rd - 1.44:1

4th - 1:1

5th - 0.79:1

Rev - 4.22:1

NV3550

1st - 4.01:1

2nd - 2.33:1

3rd - 1.39:1

4th - 1:1

5th - 0.78:1

Rev - 3.57:1

Main difference being a slightly lower 1st in the NV, although if you're running 4.10s on stock tires with a 4.0, you're probably not gonna be too worried about 1st's gearing much.

just make sure it's not an AX-5. they look kinda similar (and lord knows I can't tell the difference without seeing them next to each other) and are NOT interchangeable.

If the XJ had a 4.0, then it's definitely an AX-15. :thumbsup:

Some key differences between the AX-4/5 and AX-15 :

Shifter mount / midplate:

The AX-4/5 has a raised tower where the shifter mounts, while the AX-15 is nearly flush with the rest of the case.

The AX-4/5 has a cast iron midplate, and is usually given away by surface rust. The AX-15 has a cast aluminum midplate, and is generally the same color as the rest of the trans.

ax15_jeep_transmission.254131554_std.jpg

ax5_jeep_transmission.254131149_std.jpg

I finally got the new tranny and tcase from the trailer into my garage. I also confirmed and it is definitely a 1993 XJ 4.0 AX15 (Serial Number - 53009528). :thumbsup:

Now I just need to collect the additional parts for it.

Can I use any of the parts from my current Peugeot 2 WD tranny (shifter / brackets)?

Can I use any of the parts from my current Peugeot 2 WD tranny (shifter / brackets)?

I reused my clutch since it was almost new. beyond that, nothing swaps over that I can think of. :dunno:

edit: you do have to retain your current CPS. :thumbsup: