Can this be done and how much is involved?

AX-5 is also 21 spline and AX-15 is 23 spline (both 4x4 versions). I've had people claim there are 21 spline ones (factory replacements when the BA 1/5 died under warranty) but no photographic proof yet.

The BA 10/5 shifter is held on with 3 bolts (and they only came 21 spline in 4x4 version). The AX series are held on with 4 bolts. AX-5 shifter *might* work on the AX-15.

Looking at the bell of the trans, check where the starter goes. The 4 cy/2.8 V6 bell has no holes to bolt the starter on with. The 4.0L bell does.

HO and Renix flywheels and CPS are NOT interchangeable. The '89 I recently bought has an HO motor the PO couldn't get running and I lay odds it's the wrong flexplate (looking at it through the starter hole)

AX4/5 and AX15 shifters look similar, but are not really interchangeable although they are close enough to "kinda" work.

Haven't tried an AX4/5 shifter in an AX15, but it would be tight. Using an AX15 shifter in an AX4 or 5 the vinyl "ball" on the end doesn't quite completely reach into the cup of the mechanism. It's okay in 3rd and 4th, but 1st, 2nd, 5th and reverse it might pop out. If the vinyl piece pops off the end (as happened to me), the metal behind it is too short to reach anything and you're stuck in whatever gear you happen to be in. My clutch hated me having to drive home from the store with just 3rd gear.

• 1 month later...