302 Swaps

Has anyone done one? I have a line on one out of a fox body with the computer for cheap. I figure if nobody wants to buy my damn truck I may as well replace the 2.8 with a 5.0! :D I'm wondering what trans(auto) I should use with it. its mainly gonna be my back burner play toy as I have my XJ and Subie to drive as well.

Why is is when anybody mentions a swap, with a motor they have available to them, somebody always says to put a 350 in it???? Yes maybe adapter parts are more readilly available, but thats not the point or the original posters question. I think Advance adapters has a kit for the 302, but you would have to look it up to be sure. If an adapter is available, then an AX15 or NV3500 setup from an XJ would be best as you wouldnt have to worry about making them fit. Making the electrics work with the Jeep will be the hard part. You may be able to find more info on a swap like this on www.greatlakes4x4.com . They are much bigger sites with a much broader range of info on topics like this that are a little out of the ordinary for our sweet little home, comancheclub. Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing!

Why is is when anybody mentions a swap, with a motor they have available to them, somebody always says to put a 350 in it???? Yes maybe adapter parts are more readilly available, but thats not the point or the original posters question. I think Advance adapters has a kit for the 302, but you would have to look it up to be sure. If an adapter is available, then an AX15 or NV3500 setup from an XJ would be best as you wouldnt have to worry about making them fit. Making the electrics work with the Jeep will be the hard part. You may be able to find more info on a swap like this on http://www.greatlakes4x4.com . They are much bigger sites with a much broader range of info on topics like this that are a little out of the ordinary for our sweet little home, comancheclub. Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing!

Agreed.

I wouldn't do a chevy 350 just because it has been done so many times.

If you can get the 5.0 to fit and the electronics figured out, the aftermarket for it is just about as good as the Chebby.

Sorry, should have mentioned it has to be an auto. I believe the older AOD trans is hydraulic so getting it to work won't be an issue other than fitment. As for chevy swaps, I would do a 5.3 or 6.0. Truthfully, All its gonna be is a putting around truck it doesn't need to make nasty power, just get me to the camping spot or fishing hole. My Subie, once i get the overheating issues lined out, will be the fun toy! :D

I agree with the 5.0 swap :thumbsup: If you can find a junked v8 explorer, the whole drivetrain would be of use to you. 96+ has a disc brake 8.8 rear end and you can find them with limited slips. and you can use the tranny and transfer case as well :D

sounds like a great project!! :wrench: 350 has been done way too many times, and its nice to see a good Ford motor put back to work jamminz.gif

have fun with it!

I agree with the 5.0 swap :thumbsup: If you can find a junked v8 explorer, the whole drivetrain would be of use to you. 96+ has a disc brake 8.8 rear end and you can find them with limited slips. and you can use the tranny and transfer case as well :D

sounds like a great project!! :wrench: 350 has been done way too many times, and its nice to see a good Ford motor put back to work jamminz.gif

have fun with it!

I know all about 8.8 swaps, I have one laying in the garage for my XJ! :D I didn't realize that explorers ever had a 5.0 in them. is the trans hydraulic?

The exploder trans is electronic.

I'm kinda amazed noone suggested a C-6... But I have feeling you were looking for something with O/D. IIRC, the oldest versions of the AOD were hydraulically controlled.

The exploder trans is electronic.

I'm kinda amazed noone suggested a C-6... But I have feeling you were looking for something with O/D. IIRC, the oldest versions of the AOD were hydraulically controlled.

I thought C6 as the easiest route but I do want OD just in case i want to road trip it for a camping expedition.