drive shaft help

ok this is on my 88 comanche 4.0 auto long wheel base 2x4.

i thought my driveshaft was out of balance. i took it to the shop. they said it was in balance, but its slipping on the inside the rubber part i guess. they said they could make a new one for 250 - 300 bucks. my question is would this cause my truck to vibrate really bad at 55 mph? i need my truck fixed and i don't have alot of money to do it.

that would be the first time I've ever heard of a 2-piece driveshaft coming apart at the rubber isolator. :dunno: not saying it isn't possible, but that does sound shady.

55mph is a common speed for tire imbalances to show themselves.

Is it lifted? That can cause vibes too. Mine has the rubber insert too probably. Shops won't cut those down because the rubber heats up and EXPLODES the 2 pieces apart while welding (I saw 1 bust through a shop wall back when I did driveshafts. Wasn't in my lathe, thank goodness!)

no its not lifted. I'm picking it up today. I'm going to ask them how they came to the decision that i need a new one, and how they tested it. going to check the tires and the sleeve in the trans. what am i looking for when i check the sleeve? i just remember when my uncle owned the jeep it had a bent driveshaft in it. also the tank is all smashed in.

ok this is on my 88 comanche 4.0 auto long wheel base 2x4.

i thought my driveshaft was out of balance. i took it to the shop. they said it was in balance, but its slipping on the inside the rubber part i guess. they said they could make a new one for 250 - 300 bucks. my question is would this cause my truck to vibrate really bad at 55 mph? i need my truck fixed and i don't have alot of money to do it.

That DS is a POS.......get a new one made and never look back.

u-joints are pretty good. the part at the end of the drive shaft that hold the u-joint in is a little lose. why they said they wanted to build another one. so there is nothing wrong with the driveshaft. ill check the tires next

Your DS is bad. The rubber the WAS compressed between the two tubes is now hard and has shrunk in size and is no longer keeping the two tubes centered, this is why it is out of balance. Eventually the two tubes will spin out from each other.

Heating it will only destroy what is left of the rubber. The steel will not shrink around the rubber when heated and cooled. Heat expands metal. The only thing you will do is melt the rubber and destroy the tinsel strength of the steel by cooling it too rapidly as you stated.

Mine was in the same condition and I had a new one built for a different reason but I had no idea how bad it was until I got the new one installed.

You ignored my comment and went on to talk about heating and cooling.............to each his own........but big mistake.

When i switched my YJ over to new axles they didnt come with locking hubs so the front end was always turning.

driving the front ds back thru the transfer.the new front axle was a 44 so it was a little longer in the yoke. i just took the ds out and uct about an inch off of it at the splines. this loosened the blue plastic that is there so i just pulled it off. it worked great until i drove it on the road.where it vibrated really bad.once we figured out what was happening i had a new one made and it drove smooth as could be after that.

• 2 weeks later...