Pukey to AX-15 Issue

Okay, so... here's the deal: I found another Comanche and it's an '88. It has the Pukey trans and the owner swapped in an AX-15 from a '93 XJ. He did the whole pilot bearing swap, changed the flywheel, and bled out the lines but it doesn't engage into gear. He also said that if you raise up the rear with the tires off the ground, then everything works fine. Back down on the ground, push in the clutch, and it's like the shifter hits a wall and you get nothing.

I'm thinking that there may be an issue with the master cylinder or the hydraulics, but I want to throw this out to everyone. Thoughts?

So you can or cannot push the clutch pedal to the floor?

Pretty basic swap, hard to mess up the hydraulics. Possibly an issue with the clutch disc and pressure plate, maybe the wrong one?

A "non-driving" vehicle is a good way to knock some $$$ off quickly.

Does it run? Did he put the HO flywheel back on it or keep it Renix?

Oops... sorry everyone. Yup, AX-15. :oops:

So you can or cannot push the clutch pedal to the floor?... Does it run? Did he put the HO flywheel back on it or keep it Renix?

He said that he can push the clutch and it has a solid feel. It does run. As far as I understand, he changed the flywheel over from the '93.

Okay, so... here's the deal: I found another Comanche and it's an '88. It has the Pukey trans and the owner swapped in an AX-15 from a '93 XJ. He did the whole pilot bearing swap, changed the flywheel, and bled out the lines but it doesn't engage into gear. He also said that if you raise up the rear with the tires off the ground, then everything works fine. Back down on the ground, push in the clutch, and it's like the shifter hits a wall and you get nothing.

I'm thinking that there may be an issue with the master cylinder or the hydraulics, but I want to throw this out to everyone. Thoughts?

It won't go into any gear?

Sounds like the shifter is hitting the floor...........as jacking the rear up takes some stress off the drive train.

Motor mounts? Drive shaft too long forcing the engine and tranny forward an inch?

if he put the '93 flywheel in, it won't run.

ask him what he did for a input shaft bearing, since the '93 trans has a .750 thick tip on the input, and the renix is much smaller.

I'm wondering if it's not clutch issues from a lack of even having an input bearing (a.k.a. pilot bearing)

if he put the '93 flywheel in, it won't run.

ask him what he did for a input shaft bearing, since the '93 trans has a .750 thick tip on the input, and the renix is much smaller.

I'm wondering if it's not clutch issues from a lack of even having an input bearing (a.k.a. pilot bearing)

Just talked to him: '73 CJ5 pilot bearing for the V8 is what he used. I also asked the question again on the flywheel and he kept the renix. It runs. Also, when he got the trans, he got it as a matching set of trans and transfer case.

It should have th renix flywheel, but the clutch for a '93... correct? What about the master cylinder? Would that remain stock or would that need to be changed as well?

Found something funny while looking around. The guy's name that I've been talking to is Clay. Hmm... this member's username is Clay...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30771&hilit

After reading all that, I'm agree on the clutch not disengaging.I think I'd want to start with the slave. How long has this thing been sitting?! Oh, Clay... :doh:

I think I'm going to go for it... really, who doesn't need another MJ?

Well, this went down today: I went down there to take a look at it and saw that this thing needs way more than just the clutch figured out. The wiring was a major hack, I don't think the alternator was charging, and it was just running kinda rough. I offered a couple hundred to take it today but he wasn't there yet. He's got another guy looking at it tomorrow and we'll call me if he does or doesn't sell it. If not, I told him to sleep on it for a while, but if the snow starts flying and he still has it then to give me a call. Solid frame and floors, but what tis thing needs is a full swap of everything from the firewall forward. Oh well... maybe next time.

I love buying these kinds of Jeeps. Especially if the owner is reasonable. Offer him a couple bucks more than scrap price. If he sells it to some one else then it's their problem. Usually, but not always, there is nothing wrong with the parts. They were just assembled wrong. It once took me seven months from the time I made the offer until I got the Jeep. He finally realized all he had was a Junk Jeep. Not the treasure chest he thought he had. A little help from the city citing him for a inoperable vehicle on his premises helped. I wonder how the city found out about it? :yes: Solid frame and doors is certainly worth something.

I love buying these kinds of Jeeps. Especially if the owner is reasonable. Offer him a couple bucks more than scrap price. If he sells it to some one else then it's their problem. Usually, but not always, there is nothing wrong with the parts. They were just assembled wrong. It once took me seven months from the time I made the offer until I got the Jeep. He finally realized all he had was a Junk Jeep. Not the treasure chest he thought he had. A little help from the city citing him for a inoperable vehicle on his premises helped. I wonder how the city found out about it? :yes: Solid frame and doors is certainly worth something.

I offered him scrap price just because I really don't have time to deal with a project right now. I'd love to have it and just sit on it until I have time to gut the whole thing and do a full wiring and drive swap, but if he can get more out of someone else, then that's fine too as I still don't have time to deal with it... it would also save me another 240 mile trip and a dolly rental! If he still has it in a couple weeks and he's a little more desperate to get rid of it, then sure!