Three problems at once

We got the boat out of the lake with much spinning of tires and burning of clutch with our 91 2wd Eliminator. Up on land we let the clutch cool down sitting in neutral engine idling. Then the engine reved up a bit on its own and stopped. Tow truck tried to pull but one tire was dragging. Pulled release handle on E Brake, on third attempt the handle wirh a short piece of cable came off. Truck on flat bed to cottage. Engine turns over but will not start. Questions 1) probable cause of no start? 2) are release handles available ? 3) How can I release the E brake? Thanks Gord

No start may be caused by a dirty CPS. If you were slipping the clutch it is possible you flung some crud on it.

You can release the ebrake by applying some pressure to the foot pedal and pushing up on the brake clamping mechanism. This would be easiest with a helper.

Release handles can only be found used.

The first sounds like something in the fuel system gave up. The fact that it reved up on its own and then died seems like ran out of gas and went lean for a sec before shutting down. The second is like stated above, can't buy new ones anymore, but if you poke your head down there and see how it hooks up you might a very simple replacement cable. Ive got the same problem and will make a new pull cable soon. Nothing fancy just want to have it function again. The third is simple as well. if you look below the dash where the cable would normally go you will find a small lever with a hole in it where the old cable went through. If you manually pull that lever forward it should pop your e-brake. BE CAREFULL..... when the pedal is reliesed it will come up with some serious force so make sure you face isn't in the way of the pedal when you do this. I almost lost a tooth over it lol gl :D

Thanks for the advice. Where is the CPS located and what does it look like? I thought it seemed like it may be a lack of gas. How do I check to see if fuel is at the injectors? Did any other Jeeps use the same E brake release? This is supposed to be my reliable parts pickup. Gord

Whens the last time you did a tune up? maybe something let loose in the distributor. i would pull the distributor cap off and take a peek. Don't hold me to it, but I am pretty sure that the CPS doesn't control whether you have spark or not, just tells the ECM where the flywheel is at for timing? just a guess. Anyway, good luck!