Steering Wheel replacement

Hello Folks,

After four years of tar like goo ruining my shirts and pants, my wife has demanded that I get a new steering wheel. My poor old steering wheel emits a tar like goo when it is a hot day, and has ruined anything that it touches. I am looking at some grant cherrywood replacement steering wheels,but I would love to hear from my Comanche colleagues for suggesgions. I was leaning towards the below...what do folks think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/14-JEEP- ... 2eb59b464f

Thanks!

Dog

Hello Folks,

After four years of tar like goo ruining my shirts and pants, my wife has demanded that I get a new steering wheel. My poor old steering wheel emits a tar like goo when it is a hot day, and has ruined anything that it touches. I am looking at some grant cherrywood replacement steering wheels,but I would love to hear from my Comanche colleagues for suggesgions. I was leaning towards the below...what do folks think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/14-JEEP- ... 2eb59b464f

Thanks!

Dog

That is one seriously nice steering wheel :eek: :eek: :thumbsup:

What's the interior color of your truck now? The Infiniti would look good if you had faux wood / a tan interior IMO.

I had an 1131 for a while. Had a few problems. The install kit for the jeep mounted the wheel further out, which might create a problem if you are tall. Wheel is smaller than stock which makes the steering more twitchy. After about 18 months the gray started to rub off the high quality chinese leather. Ended up going back to a stock wheel. Will be getting the leather re-done at an interior place, will probably be less than a grant plus install kit. you live and learn.

I had an 1131 for a while. Had a few problems. The install kit for the jeep mounted the wheel further out, which might create a problem if you are tall. Wheel is smaller than stock which makes the steering more twitchy. After about 18 months the gray started to rub off the high quality chinese leather. Ended up going back to a stock wheel. Will be getting the leather re-done at an interior place, will probably be less than a grant plus install kit. you live and learn.

Yeah Joe, I agree with Limey above. Grant steering wheels used to be of good quality, but have deteriorated to just more offshore junk now. I prefer to keep the stock Jeep leather 3-spoke steering wheel look, gray in your case would be best, be it an OEM Jeep wheel or like the NOS Buick wheel I just put on mine. MJs just don't look right with aftermarket faux wood grain wheels IMHO. If you can't find find one you like, I'd get your existing wheel refurbished in gray leather. Would look great on your truck. :cheers:

Yeah Joe, I agree with Limey above. Grant steering wheels used to be of good quality, but have deteriorated to just more offshore junk now. I prefer to keep the stock Jeep leather 3-spoke steering wheel look, gray in your case would be best, be it an OEM Jeep wheel or like the NOS Buick wheel I just put on mine. MJs just don't look right with aftermarket faux wood grain wheels IMHO. If you can't find find one you like, I'd get your existing wheel refurbished in gray leather. Would look great on your truck. :cheers:

Thanks Don,

You are right it is not worth spending money on junk, I am leaning on having mine refurbished.

:yes:

While you contemplate your options, you can remove the leather wrap from your wheel and clean all of the tar goop off. The wheel should be a white version of the non wrapped Jeep wheel. I did this in my truck for the same reason. At least you could drive the truck in nice clothing and not worry about trashing them.