another bent d30 question

ok guys d30 in my Comanche is bent to the point that i eat tires in a week or so. guys at shop say its FUBR and i believe as i myself set the alignment within 1/8th in and still eats tires.

Local JY has a housing in the pick in pull for $30. so if i get just the housing, could i swap my internals with out much problem? my Comanche is 86 and so is the XJ

Can the internals be swapped? Sure. Is it a good idea? Not really. Swapping gears still requires a gear setup, and it's not really a good idea to put used gears into an axle they didn't come out of. Now, if the donor has the same gearing you do, then there's no problem, just swap the axles.

was kinda thinking about that but was trying to save cash (unemployed) an they want another $30 for the ring/pinon/carrier bringing total to $60 when i can get a good used one for $100 off CL.

don't really have the extra cash to buy a whole axle..so was thinking the $30 sounded pretty good with my parts in it. :wrench:

Thanks

You can't just bolt your gears in. They have to be re set-up, and used gears are harder to set up that new ones. Average gear setups run about $600.

How'd you bend your axle? They don't just do that by themselves.

$600 bucks? you sure you got that number right? pretty sure amco or the race shop down the street does it for 125 plus parts. so maybe $325 total

as far as how it bent, the PO put it in a ditch twice in the same day. out playing in the snow he hit a ice patch on the way up and put it in ditch, pulled it out and continued playing. way back down hit the same patch and put the other side in the ditch. one hell of a body man tho, when i first got it it looked good with a few imperfections, but during hunting season a 1 1/2 in thick SLAB of bondo fell off the bed while driving down a washed out road.

maybe i'll jus buy the housing and tinker with it till i can find work.

thanks guys

imo spend the 100 on cl and get a good used one. to be honest i don't feel so bad about reseting used gears, ive had good luck so far, but i also have a full shop and lots of shims and know what I'm doing. if you try and set up the old gears in your diff you might still need some new shims and what not. that cost money... an install kit has got to be more than 30 bucks i assume. so you may find your into the old axle for the same if not more money then a good used one. gl

Also if your in that much of a pinch i would try and straighten it. take lots of time and a good amount of common sence but it can be done. things will be even weaker then the bent axle but its essentially a free fix. Seems a bit strange you can eat a tire in a week but not any bearings in the axle??? Must be a huge bend and I'm sure internals are taking a beating as well... fortune cookies says... I SEE NEW AXLE IN YOUR NEAR FUTURE .. OH AND LUCKY NUMBERS ARE 4.10-4.88

:doh: please...next time if its not making sence please put the beer down an re-read the thread :shake:

Finished the beer and read it again but it still doesn't make sence.

You cannot properly install your gears in another housing for less money then you can get a housing with gears already in it.

Installing your gears in a straight housing may save your truck from "eating" tires, but then you'll just create another problem - "eating" gears. Properly setting up gears requires time and someone with patience, experience, and the right set of tools.

yea its pretty bad nothing i can c with my eye but will post pics of the tires when i get on a comp :)

If the internals are not destroying themselves and you can't see the housing being bent, did you look at/eliminate something

else that could be throwing the camber out like bad ball joints?