XJ snorkel kit

Would an XJ snorkel kit fit my 89 Comanche? I see them up for sale alot used so I thought if it would fit right then I could get one used instead of spending 300+ on a new one. I've never seen a home made one turn out any good and I will be putting one on ASAP after the new motor go's in. Thanks!

Brandon

Would an XJ snorkel kit fit my 89 Comanche? I see them up for sale alot used so I thought if it would fit right then I could get one used instead of spending 300+ on a new one. I've never seen a home made one turn out any good and I will be putting one on ASAP after the new motor go's in. Thanks!

Brandon

I just ordered the ARB Safari Snorkel For Jeep Cherokee Xj 1984- Jan 95 (SS1100HF) from NorthRidge 4x4 and I fully expect it will fit my 89 MJ just fine.

-mel

Short answer, yes it will fit. The front of the Comanche and Cherokee are pretty much identical (The frame from the upper control arm back and the body from the quarter panel back are the only places where they really differ from each others).

try to avoid the Chinese ones. I have heard they are poor build quality/poor materials. I know that the ARB will not fit with bushwhackers and probably if you have trimmed your wheel wells. I cannot bring myself to pay 300+ for a snorkel, but If I found a use airflow for the right price I would jump on it.

I totally agree that most of the PVC, dryer vent, cheap crap you see a lot of people do looks dumb. but I have found one guy that made a very nice one and I plan on using his as a starting point for me to make one. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/bes ... ost8190125

That looked very clean and nice. I had never known of the ARB snorkel not working with bushwackers :dunno: But I would hope that me trimming up the fenders would not effect it. I think that IF I could get it to look right I would try to make one but if I could find a used one that would be best. Thanks for the thoughts and helpfull info :wrench:

Brandon

the bushwhackers mount and go up to the body line above the wheel opening, the ARB has a small indent in the bottom to allow it to go over that body line. it looks like you can make them work together but you have to trim the bushwhackers.

in my opinion thought the airflow looks a ton better.

and the ARB may fit with trimmed fenders, I was thinking about mine but I trimmed a lot off so a little cutting would probably be fine.

ARB:

ARB-SS1195HF-2.jpg

Bushwhackers:

Bushwhackers and airflow:

KMcGeeJeep.jpg

The only thing I don't like about the metal one is the 90 degree bends. If you round those bends then it would look better and perform a hell of a lot better.

I agree, I just have no idea if you can even bend 3 inch tubing like that.

btm24, where did you see them used at? The best deal I got was years ago on my TJ, when I bought a BEST TOP sail cloth top, the arb snorkel was $185. They did alright I guess since the top was $700. I bought it but thought it was over priced then. I work in a fab shop and still have not made one I liked [ out of metal]. I'm not into the sewer pvp pipe thing. If come across another use one call me or send me an e-mail.

The only thing I don't like about the metal one is the 90 degree bends. If you round those bends then it would look better and perform a hell of a lot better.

I agree, I just have no idea if you can even bend 3 inch tubing like that.

Flexible tubing perhaps? Also there are other bends besides 90* Still, nice looking job.

It's not "all the time" that I see them up for sale just every once in a while on places like Cherokeeforum.com, and eBay. I'll do alot more digging and post up what I find.

Also I've never heard of any thing bad about the cheep Chinese snorkel, do u have any links with more info? Thanks

Brandon

quick search looks like the first 2 may be not as bad as I thought. they are made of LLDPE (Linear low-density polyethylene) (thanks wiki)

which is similar to the material the "real" snorkels are made of. the fiberglass would most likely not hold up to a hit as well as this stuff and could crack compromising the waterproof aspect of the snorkel which would mean dead engine.

Brandon

I just ordered the ARB Safari Snorkel For Jeep Cherokee Xj 1984- Jan 95 (SS1100HF) from NorthRidge 4x4 and I fully expect it will fit my 89 MJ just fine.

-mel

I suspect it will as mine fit like a glove.

There is a ton more stuff you have to do to your truck to make it water tight before you do deep water... 

You need a lot more than just slapping some random snorkel on it. 

Rob

Thanks Rob for the thought but I've already done Most every thug I can do. I've moved all my vent lines supper High up, I took what jpnjim said for distributor cap water proofing and did it, the only other thing I need to worry about now is the intake, and the exhaust. For the exhaust I was thinking about making a temporary extension.

Brandon

Ok so I found some one selling a chinese snorkel copy of the ARB one. He's selling it for 130+ shipping, do you think I should go for it? It's from these guys http://rv4x4.net/cn/ he bought it from them and never put it on. Do you think it's a good deal? Here are some pics

I've heard mixed opinions about these. Any thoughts would be nice thanks.

Brandon

Why not go for it? On their web site they ran it over several times with an XJ. Looks like it popped back with no holes at the seams. Worst case scenario you are out the cash and a fender (if the ARB hole is in a different location).

theres a guy running one but ive never talked to him. or her. the jeep is always outside lowes down here. ive got out and gave it a looking over. it seems alright. if you really want. i can see if i can track them down and talk to them about it

• 6 years later...