AX5 oil?

I can't find my Hayne's right now but I think you use 75W90 gear oil, either standard or synthetic. If anyone has other advice, feel free to correct me. Walmart has a decent selection and prices.

What worries me is that gear oil (no matter what weight), just like motor oil, nowadays has different additive packages than they did 17 years ago (the AX5 is from 94). And with the introduction of the new superlow ZDDP/no ZDDP oils, they are not backward compatible with the older stuff. As for gear oil, they added a bunch of sulphur to it over the years. I've heard this high sulphur content will eat the brass synchros in the AX15. Don't know if the AX5 has this problem or not.

My current AX4 has Mobil-1 10w30 full synthetic in it, but it already didn't have a 4th gear synchro and all the bearings are shot. The PO used that to try to extend the life a few more months, but if it didn't work, the transmission was shot already to begin with, so no big deal.

I'm not 100% sure on this but i keep thinking i heard of some people using deisel oil in some of there older applications because of the zinc and sulfer contents. I know in a lot of the super old cars i maintain we have been using Joe Gibs racing oil because of the high zinc content, its not legal for street use but i don't see any dipstick police running around. Just a thought good luck :wrench:

What worries me is that gear oil (no matter what weight), just like motor oil, nowadays has different additive packages than they did 17 years ago (the AX5 is from 94). And with the introduction of the new superlow ZDDP/no ZDDP oils, they are not backward compatible with the older stuff. As for gear oil, they added a bunch of sulphur to it over the years. I've heard this high sulphur content will eat the brass synchros in the AX15. Don't know if the AX5 has this problem or not.

The high sulpher gear oil is a known problem for the AX-15, so it is reasonable to conclude that it's probably also a problem for the AX-5. Red Line or Amsoil full synthtic gear oil are safe for the AX-15. I'd suggest one of those.

Marcel... anything GL-5 rated is going to be high sulfur content gear lube.

You are looking for oils that are GL-4 compliant, but not GL-5

Amsoil Manual Transmission/ Transaxle MTG

or

Redline MT-90 or MTL

are all gear lubes that meet the GL-4 but no GL-5 tag.