what is a good size rim and tire for my jeep with a 6in lift

I'm about to lift my jeep 6 inches and i want maybe 33 inch tires but my original rim are only 7 inches wide and i don't i can find tires that tall for rims that small and i would like my tires to be a little wider. thanks guys :D

You should be able to run a 10.5 tire on that rim. Can you afford to sell the 7 inch rims and buy some 8 or 9 wide's? maybe with a little more backspace so they stick out a little as well?

I think the best overall tire for DD and wheeling is hands down the Cooper SST's. I've watched them walk all over Moab and run some of the nasty muddy trails here in washington well.

I got a set of soft 8's for $50 Craigslist some rims 5 on 4.5 are pretty available out there.

You should be able to run a 10.5 tire on that rim. Can you afford to sell the 7 inch rims and buy some 8 or 9 wide's? maybe with a little more backspace so they stick out a little as well?

I think the best overall tire for DD and wheeling is hands down the Cooper SST's. I've watched them walk all over Moab and run some of the nasty muddy trails here in washington well. And they have great road manners.

I got a set of soft 8's for $50 Craigslist some rims 5 on 4.5 are pretty available out there.

The rule of thumb is that you can run tires up to 4 inches wider than your rims, so with 7-inch rims you can run up to 11-inch tires. I have seen 33x9.50-15 tires on XJs, but I don't know if they are still available. I'm pretty sure that 33x10.50-15 is an available size.

However ... if I may, I'd like to propose that you seem to be approaching this backwards. The goal should be to lift as little as possible to run the tire size you need to get the vehicle where you'll be going. That means you should select the tire size FIRST, then decide how much lift you actually need in order to run those tires. 6 inches sounds like a lot of lift to run 33s when you can run 31x10.50s with zero lift.

You can run a 32x11.5 on a 7" rim...been done a lot. It is outside of spec, but so are the thousands and thousands of 12.5's on 8" rims out there. A 32" tire actually only decreases your ground clearance by 1/2" as at any given time 1/2 of the height difference is above the axle centerline.

A lot depends on what you want to do with your MJ. Although you can run a 31x10.5 on an unlifted MJ, and I have done it on two different MJ's, IMHO you cannot use a 31x105. on an unlifted MJ. Others' experiences may very but for me I experienced considerable rub trying to do anything but street driving.

Although it limits your choices somewhat, there are 33x10.5's out there if changing your rims is a deal breaker. Nice thing about the narrower tire is the should be a little more forgiving on your axles. If you are going almost strictly off-road, some Swampers are available in a 34x10.5 size.

From playing with XJ's, I think that 15x8 with a 4" B.S. and 33x12.5's is a nice combo with 6" of lift.

which engine/trans do you have? which gear ratio in the axles?

More specifically, what is your rear axle?

Rob

Ya...cause we already know the front is junk....lol.

As to the picture....You will be all over your tub in rear and all over your links in front if you go 33+ with those rims.

Most people have to remember that 98% of rigs get lift and tires and never get regeared. Sadly also...the average person will not even notice the effects of not regearing beyond milage and speedo reading.

4spd manual? 5 spd manual? auto?

more importantly, you'll need to find out what ratio you have.

-jack up one rear tire and put the trans into neutral. then rotate the tire around exactly twice while counting the number of times the driveshaft rotates around.

-if the axle has a posi, then jack up both tires and rotate one of them just once.

if the driveshaft rotates a bit over 3 and a half times, then it's a 3.55. if it's a hair over 4, then it's a 4.10, etc.

if you've only got 3.55s, then you might want to scale back on the tire size a bit because that little 2.5 is really going to struggle. :(

• 3 weeks later...
i have 4.10 Gears and no the danna 44 came with the truck the man who bought the truck new wanted the d44

I went through your build thread to see if there were any pics of your rear diff, couldnt find any. Could you get us a pic of the rear diff so we can confirm what rear axle you have. Like was said, it is unheard of for the Dana 44 to be originally offered in 86.

I went through your build thread to see if there were any pics of your rear diff, couldnt find any. Could you get us a pic of the rear diff so we can confirm what rear axle you have. Like was said, it is unheard of for the Dana 44 to be originally offered in 86.

This is correct. An optional rear axle was offered for the '86, and a gas station down the road used to have an '86 4-banger for plowing his driveway that had it. But the heavy duty axle for the '86 model year was the AMC Model 20.