Project "Honcho" - The '87 MJ

Nothing new; still leaking oil from the seal behind the harmonic balancer and leaking antifreeze.. Keeping an eye out for a wrecker XJ to tinker with; but so far I haven't found anything worth going after. Seems all the junk XJ's I could grab don't run at all; so I need a trailer and truck, which I don't have.

Wouldn't be a problem with a full-size J-Truck; but I have to settle for what I have.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and one of the reasons I haven't been tinkering on the Jeep for a while. Too busy playing this on my days off from work.

More specifically, the bottom game.

Nothing beats the classics. :thumbsup:

where about in tavares are you located

Over on the Eustis side of town. Pretty much on the very fringe of Tavares. Only about 2 minutes from the old Lowe's building on 441. Yourself? Always nice to see other people around here with an MJ.

out off 44 in cassia [royal trails],yeah i just got my mj wich is in deltona right now,gotta swap the motor in it,when i first got on here i seen your jeep and it looked familiar,then i seen where you were from..small world

out off 44 in cassia [royal trails],yeah i just got my mj wich is in deltona right now,gotta swap the motor in it,when i first got on here i seen your jeep and it looked familiar,then i seen where you were from..small world

Cool! Haven't been over in Cassia in a while. Small world after all. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Hum dee ho.

Oh look; something new.

Went and helped the old man clean up a car after I got off from work yesterday. 35 degree weather makes washing even better! :ack:

Walked around inside the bodyshop bays; found this sitting against a wall. Seems out of place at a GM dealership, no?

Anyone know if this is the OEM company that tinted the glass? Seems pretty darn old. Haven't seen anything like it on any other Jeep; AMC or Chryco. :dunno:

Disregard previous question; was having a blonde moment. :nuts: The sticker's still pretty darn old though.

Decided to show the tail-lights some love for once. Darn things haven't been polished since the truck left the Jacksonville dealership back in '87.

After 10 minutes of buffing with polish...

Shiney :thumbsup: but still look cruddy from the set-in scratches over the years :fs1: Made me realize how badly I should get a small buffer.

• 2 weeks later...

So whether it was karma, or just plain bad luck; the fuel pump finally gave up the ghost early last week. Managed to get it up to the dealership w/ my old man to drop the tank to get it out. Picked this up for $94 after taxes to replace the original AMC one.

Another 15 to get these as well. Might as well change everything out (and by "everything", I mean the FF) if I'm putting a new pump in, right?

Shiney. :yes:

Moving it into the shop...

Didn't completely take the tank out, just drop it enough to get the sending unit assy. out. Tank was clean and spotless inside; thank goodness. :banana: The Assy. was in pretty good shape as well; didn't see anything wrong with the sending unit. Unfortunately, the darn thing is on the fritz again, so I'm thinking it's toast. :thwak:

Had a fun time getting the unit to sit down in the tank. That little shelf it sits on has a bevel in the middle; we couldn't get it to sit flush on it at first, but somehow we eventually got it to sit right.

Ran the truck afterwards; starts right up and drives like it used to. :MJ 1:

Fast forward a few days to today; decided to wash the Jeep for the first time in a while. Look at those beads! :brows:

Cleaned up the spare too. That Meguire's Crystal Wash is pretty good stuff; a lot better than what I was using before.

After a little elbow grease and a few washes, most of the "chocolate" looking stains came off from the backside. :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

Got a new windshield put in today to replace the original one. A much better view from behind the wheel now.

Not so happy in the fact the installer left a multitude of broken glass shards in my bench seat and all over my floor (didn't see them until I got home) Felt pretty good to sit down on a 2 inch piece of glass I couldn't see. :thwak: :mad:

Got a new windshield put in today to replace the original one. A much better view from behind the wheel now.

Not so happy in the fact the installer left a multitude of broken glass shards in my bench seat and all over my floor (didn't see them until I got home) Felt pretty good to sit down on a 2 inch piece of glass I couldn't see. :thwak: :mad:

Dad had his windshield replaced the week before last, we had some 97+ rubber stripping to replace the metal stuff, Did you keep or replace the metal weather strips?

Dad had his windshield replaced the week before last, we had some 97+ rubber stripping to replace the metal stuff, Did you keep or replace the metal weather strips?

Kept the metal strips. I like the look of them more than the 97+ rubber mouldings. :chillin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, not a whole lot has happened since the last "update", aside from the transmission still acting up. Discovered it's a bad pilot bushing(?) or bearing. One of the two, I can't remember which right now. Truck still runs like a top though; can't keep a good Jeep down, right?

On a sadder note, my mom passed on the 19th of last month. So I've been dealing with a lot regarding her passing since then. Unfortunately, the truck has been put on a semi-permanent hiatus as far as upgrading anything, or doing any sort of costly repairs; IE: the reason my tranny is still rattling. Not only that, but I'm fixing to move out, and have a lot on my plate as far as working goes.

This project isn't dead yet, however. I should be heading off to the Daytona / (possibly) Orlando LKQ within the next few weeks. Setting my sights on a possible 5-Speed or at the very least, a chrome front bumper.  :crossfingers: Also looking at going to some car shows again; it's been far too long since I've been. As always, stay tuned. Hopefully the weather stays comfortable down here in FL for a while longer, before the real summertime heat sets in. 

• 1 month later...

Ho hum. Truck has been driven and enjoyed. Seems an oil change is in the works; about halfway to 180k miles. :cheers:

Unfortunately I've had no time to do much to it. Busy with work and moving out. Officially getting my own place next Thurs. so I'm stoked about that. It'll be nice to have internet again after over a month without; using my phone as a competent web browser is getting to be a pain.

• 4 weeks later...

Not too much to update. Aside from moving 3 different people into one apartment earlier this month, the truck has had a pretty easy-going May. Everything still working fine, and hardly any leaks to speak of.

Partial tune up in the works for next weekend. Been trying to get out to the beach more, but work / mother nature seem to have it out for me. 

Need to get crackin' on finding a front chrome bumper.  :hmm: And possibly replacing my fading side view mirrors for chrome ones. Still up in the air on that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Same Joop, different home. One of a few pictures I haven't gotten around to posting; ho hum. Still have yet to do that tune up.

Is that a new dent? Or did you already have that before?

Been there since I bought the truck.  :dunno: PO probably got it when he was using the truck to tow a small trailer for about a year.

Will eventually get it fixed, when I have the $ to get it professionally painted.  :crossfingers:

• 3 months later...

Installed a new starter! And.... that's about it, really.

Progress has been pretty slow, due to working, and now currently waiting to finalize some matters stemming from my mom's passing. Also, had to leave the old job last month because things were getting crazy around there.  :ack:

Been a rough couple of last months, hope to remedy this soon. :(