Project "Honcho" - The '87 MJ

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, crap. I can't find that radio. I'll keep looking. It may have gotten thrown out. I'll let you know if I find it.

If it got thrown out, it's no biggie. :cheers: I was planning a trip up to the P&P within the next few weeks anyway. I can probably find a decent one out there with a bit of searching around.

I was planning on fixing my horn problems today when I got off from work, but a freak weather storm pounded the center of the state all day it seems. Caught up on my sleep instead. Should have everything taken apart by lunchtime tomorrow and then it's off to the hardware store to find bolts.... :ack:

Hopefully by tomorrow night, I'll have some sort of functioning horn. :dunno:

So I totally didn't get anything done to the horn setup other than buying the materials I needed (relay, wiring, etc). Hooray for laziness! :yes: ............. :fool:

Actually, last week at work really wore me out; which usually doesn't happen. Probably had to do with my lousy sleep schedule, and the fact I had 16+ hrs worth of work to do in 7, each day. So I slept most of my weekend away.

I got the toolbox mounted back on at least. That's gotta count for something. :chillin: Some eye candy that's eventually going to find it's way on. Looks close enough to OEM to justify it being there.

Decided I'm going to spend the change for some KC's up front to match the ones from the J10. Just have to find a decently priced pair online.... :typing:

Still very much up in the air on the decision of a roll-bar. It would give the truck a good look, but I bought the MJ for versatility, so it would probably spend more time off more than being on it. I'd rather have the tools to fix my Jeep should it ever breakdown rather than see what someone's doing at the end of the block. :dunno:

I am very much considering a factory looking brush guard for up front though. Anybody know of where to get one at? :redX:

Still very much up in the air on the decision of a roll-bar. It would give the truck a good look, but I bought the MJ for versatility, so it would probably spend more time off more than being on it. I'd rather have the tools to fix my Jeep should it ever breakdown rather than see what someone's doing at the end of the block. :dunno:

Exactly why I chose not to do a roll bar on mine and then add a tool box. Rather have the versatility. I just mounted the lights to the roof for the "look" I wanted. Toolbox to carry my stuff.

Exactly why I chose not to do a roll bar on mine and then add a tool box. Rather have the versatility. I just mounted the lights to the roof for the "look" I wanted. Toolbox to carry my stuff.

I was reading up on that on your thread. How are they holding up by the way? I'm assuming you used some "Make-A-Gasket" or some such when you installed them?

I was reading up on that on your thread. How are they holding up by the way? I'm assuming you used some "Make-A-Gasket" or some such when you installed them?

Holding up just fine.

Black silicone caulking. Caulked the inside of the hole, outside of the hole then put the bolts /washers on and dabbed more on. No Leaky. Need to seal up the windshield the same way, but it's broken. So, I keep waiting on some money to replace the whole thing.

Someday, I'll replace the headliner too. Just need some money.

Had a pretty decent, albeit small, haul at the yard yesterday.

Driver / Passenger 97+ XJ Door Moldings - ($6.00 for both)

Driver / Passenger Chrome Door Handles - ($19.00 for both)

Spare Black Window Crank - ($2.00)

Random Emblems - Free (not "Pocket Parts")

Pontiac Firebird Dash Band (pretty neat, also free, and not "Pocket Parts")

I'll post up a few pics of some cars I found later. Coolest thing I found was a 70s Plymouth Valiant with an indestructible Slant-Six. :yes: Didn't find any AMC related swag / radios though. :fs1:

The exact honcho in the pic on page 5 is forsale for 1200 us on my local 4x4 board :P

Carnuck's stepside Honcho? Already seen it out IFSJA a while back. It's a shame he's selling it. If I had the means to get it and the money set aside, I might consider it for a slow side project restoration. :dunno:

Having a fun birthday / anniversary. Ordered myself 2 "presents" for the occasion. One is a copy of Castlevania 3 for the NES, the other is a new LG Optimus Elite phone to replace my Optimus V.

Instead of working on the Jeep this weekend, I'm going to relax and work on playing the heck out of my 360 I usually don't ever touch. First on the agenda?

new-vegas-ncr-ranger-500x265.jpg

Bought some goodies, although I probably shouldn't have bothered with the headlights, since I'm going to be returning one of them... probably both honestly; since I HIGHLY doubt I'm going to find another "Made in USA" headlamp.

It's also good to note that I'm really starting to get tired of getting these "Made in China" BS parts that are even worse than the $#!& I'm trying to @#$%ing replace here!

• 2 weeks later...

A very messy day yesterday. Gave the old beast a partial tune up. Oil, plugs, air filter, oil filter, and fuel filter. Still have the differential to flush, along with the valve cover gasket to swap.

So, I bet you're saying I was in dire need of an oil change. You'd be correct. Came out partially frothy, but had the consistency and smell of oil; so you can imagine the nice words I was using watching the stuff come out into the drain pan. No antifreeze or water detected inside the pan, at least. :dunno: Runs better now that the new filter and oil are in, at least. Also, those little twigs in the oil dropped in after I pulled it out from under the truck. I love doing my work on the grass... :yes: :fool:

The "White" Purolator Classic filter was about black from all the oil stains and smudges on it. Nice fresh white one on there now. :brows:

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 4. Will use these pictures to compare the Champions to the Autolites in there now next year when I change plugs again.

Air Filter. Thought I solved the Blowby problem, but it seems it came back within the last month or so. Probably due to that $#!&ty cork gasket messing up again. I'm aiming to fix this for good this time. :fs1:

Nothing left for today 'cept to get ready for work tonight I suppose. :dunno:

Had the truck sitting for the last two days while I've been working. Finally got the jump on it and changed out the valve cover gasket. Runs smooth as silk now.

Only thing left is to change the differential fluid and call it a day. :MJ 1:

Still waiting for my order from Morris4x4 to come in. Got 4 headlights adjustment screws for about 8$ cheaper than TeamCherokee.

Finally had my first overheating problem the other day. Apparently a loose hose resulted in a slow coolant loss over the course of a few months. Drove it home for lunch, and left it on for 5 minutes (just under 210) while I grabbed something inside the house. Came back outside and it was already at 245 and still climbing. Flushed the rad and block and put new coolant inside; tightened everything else as well. No mo' leaks, and still running like a champ! :brows:

A few, little updates. Installed the new valve cover gasket. Cleaned up the valve cover while inside too.

Another picture. The plug dangling next to the VC had started to melt; because it apparently was laying against it for some time. Still works though, thankfully. :thwak:

Tools of the trade to get the door handles off / new ones cleaned up. :brows:

Surprised the metal even lasted this long; considering the sorry shape the truck was in when I bought it. I wasn't really surprised here.

:yes:

One step closer to getting the final look down. :cheers:

More updates!

Tore apart the front end to do some much needed fixes. Namely, new headlights and headlight adjustment screws, fixing the wiring for the parking lamps, and new parking lamp housings. Oh, and do something about the horns. :ack:

Summing up my experience with the Adjustment screws. They practically broke in half on me; somehow managed to get the new ones in. The top ones were a real PITA to install. :fs2: This was after I threw the other 2 away.

Took Cruiser's advice and cleaned a lot of the electrical connections on the front end. My two new best friends. :yes:

Shiny new parts! :thumbsup:

Closer inspections...

Dual OEM horns installed; but not wired due to getting distracted. :dunno: :shake: All I have to do is run a few wires and they'll be good to go.

Fixed the problems with the parking signals finally. Everything working as it should; and much brighter too. :chillin:

Went out to the Ocala Pumpkin Run & Car Show yesterday with the GF and her other friend. We all had a blast :cheers:

Only 3 of us AMC guys out there ('83 AMC Spirit / '78 CJ) guy with the CJ didn't bring it though; he was just searching for some 304 parts.

Just a few highlights of the day. Took more pictures, but there was probably around 130 cars there on the last day of the event.

The trusty AMC 4.2 doing what it does best; leak oil. :shake:

Going to work on getting a few things done today. Weather is absolutely fantastic down here (solid 60!) :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Wired in some nifty fog-lights finally. Ran everything through the system on the truck. Only thing changed was using a different ground for the switch (grounded at the dash point underneath the cluster) and running the lights through a relay next to the Renix-Diagnostics ports.

Also, I didn't realize at the time that I could have just tapped into the "switched" power and run that to the relay; would have had the same effect as completely re-wiring everything. Live and learn, I guess. :shake: