Project "Honcho" - The '87 MJ

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ever get your radio straightened out?

Yeah, I got it straightened out after deciding not to use the XJ head unit I picked up. Works pretty well, but I'm looking into picking up a few speaker brackets to use the rear speakers as well. :wrench:

Red,

Just a little video advice.

Seein's how you're gonna be doing it alot now...

Pan slower. Slower less jerky movements make the video's much easier to watch.

:thwak:

Not really sure how I can make a cell-phone (with a pretty iffy at most video camera) "Less Jerky". It is what it is man. As for the panning out, there's nothing I can do about that either; unless I slow down my overall speed immensely; increasing the overall video time.

Not trying to be a debby downer here, or get on your case (so please don't take it as such) but I don't exactly have the best stuff to work with here. It's just what it is man.

I'll try fiddling with some things and see if the next one is any better. If not, I may just leave the videos for important stuff. I'm not too sure right now what exactly I want to do. Will probably wait til the weekend if not later to get everything sorted out.

Nope didn't take it as you were on my case. Not on yours either.

What I was saying was panning from left to right and up and down a bit slower.

That's what I meant.

Good Luck. How's dorothy coming?

Ah, I see what you mean now. I should know better than to forum surf right after a 9 hour shift at work :ack: Especially when I haven't had a decent sleep in days. Can't say I've made too much progress. I'm aiming to have some physical progress by the time I go back to work next week. If only I had a welder, all this waiting and planning wouldn't be necessary. :yes:

A step-side with wide track flares?

Lucky dog. :fs1: :cheers:

Actually, I may be selling this one to buy a better condition one. (I'll keep the roll bar and brush guard for the new truck which is missing them)

Miles of un-cramped engine room. Anybody know what engine this is? I didn't think Chevy used to make I6s.. :hmm:

My friend's 71 (or 68?) Chevy pickup truck has a straight 6.

Early 60's and older had 235 and 261 (GMC), then 230 and 292 came out, followed by the 250 in late '67. Chevy Nova also had a 194 '62 to '67 (I've had one or more of just about every Chev 6 made since '50)

Last year of production for the inline 6 (250 and 292) was '86 AFAIK.

A step-side with wide track flares?

Lucky dog. :fs1: :cheers:

Actually, I may be selling this one to buy a better condition one. (I'll keep the roll bar and brush guard for the new truck which is missing them)

Is the bed rusted onto the frame? You don't see too many of those stype beds anymore. IMO, I would keep it; maybe someone with good fab skills can fix 'er up. I hear about FSJ guys looking for those beds every so often.

If you can't sell it, I wouldnt mind buying some small, misc parts off it. If you part it out instead that is. :brows:

Decided to do something about those fender flares today. Was a perfect mix of wind, sun, and cloud coverage to do so; although it was still as hot as Mars. :ack: Was reading MJ300's DIY thread on using Krylon plastic paint to restore your old, faded, and generally grubby looking flares. It made his truck look even better than it originally did, so I decided to give it a go with mine. :yes: Got some black satin, which gives the flares a slight glossy look, like they originally did back in the day. Good stuff, and cheap too. :thumbsup:

Roughed the flare up a bit with some 60 grit. Decided I'll try lightly dry scuffing the old paint instead of wet sanding it down like MJ300 did with his. Didn't leave any nicks in the flare, which was what I was worried about. Here's after the first light coat.

After the 3rd heavy coat. The 2nd coat was a medium one. We got a pretty good rainstorm for a few hours down here; and the water just beaded right off of it. I'll have to check on it in the morning to see how it handled the weather. A comparison shot of this repainted one verses the one directly in back.

Decided to do the same thing with the vents. Same method of scuffing, with a light, medium, and heavy coat of paint. Looks lots better than it did before. :thumbsup:

Lastly, something I've been very iffy on the last 2 weeks since my P&P trip. Picked up 2 tan OEM Jeep floormats out of a 91 Cherokee for a whopping $2.00. The problem is; these things smelled like $#!&. I think that may even be putting it mildly. After giving them a 2 day power wash with the strongest chemicals my old man had up at the dealership; and letting them hang on a clothesline for 2 weeks in the hot FL heat, rain, and wind, they finally lost their roadkill smell. Decided to paint them with the leftover paint I used on my door panels. This is one after one medium coat of paint. Still needs another coat, and then the second one will get the same. It's nice having OEM stuff for my truck. Makes it look better for car shows too. :yes:

Speaking of car shows, I'll be attending the one in Eustis again this Saturday (should be there by 3:30) if anyone in the Central FL area wants to stop by. Should have a better showing this time with the truck looking 10x better than it did last time. :chillin:

Shot the passenger side flare yesterday with the KF paint. Seems to have come out much better than the driver's side (in terms of glossiness and overall smoothness). I'll probably have to add another thick coat to the driver's side. :ack:

Got my alternator from 90PioSport99 yesterday. Took it up to Advance to test it and everything checks out :thumbsup: Might install it today, depending on if I can get motivated from sleeping most of the day away. It's always the days I work that are nice and pleasant in the afternoons. :mad: Seems like the days I have off are the ones that have to rain for 9 hours of the day.... :rant:

Also managed to break the faceplate off my radio, from trying to fix a ground wire that came disconnected. So I'm seriously considering going old school again and rewiring another Cherokee tape deck. This radio's been a PITA ever since I installed it. Seems I threw out the old wiring harness for the tape deck I have now, so this one will probably be my parts deck... :dunno: If only I could get my hands on an old AMC TD. That'd be pretty cool. :brows:

Car show seems up in the air right now, as I have to work Saturday night. Might go, might not. :dunno:

Lastly, a sexy Grand Wagoneer I came across the other day while getting some stuff at the store. Because everyone needs some more Grand Wag. in their lives. :yes:

Bearing down for a "Hurricane" that's supposed to be side-sweeping FL and heading right up into AL by Tuesday. Was hoping to get some things done on my days off this week; coincidentally when this thing is supposed to side-sweep us. :mad:

A little peeved, but no big deal. Still trying to figure out what I want to do about the radio situation. Also still have to install the alternator I picked up earlier this week from 90PioSport99.

So many things to do, and not enough time to do them in. :ack: I bet I'm forgetting something, but can't remember what it is... :dunno:

Words I was looking for in this video: Stabilizer Shock (not Bar) and Harmonic Balancer. Strangely, not a drop of oil on the oil pan... think.gif

SrLSKBgeWcE

Shortly after posting this vid, the sky literally started coming down and a few garbage cans started rolling around in the street. :eek: I had to wait around to get a ride to the auto-parts store to pick up some 10/12 gauge connectors to connect the starter to the central electronic hub. I always seem to run out of what I need at the worst possible times... :roll:

Here's how it sat once I finished cleaning up everything and rolled it away from the garage. Smug Jeep. :yes:

Re-painted the old plastic and the new aluminum valve covers I picked up. Got fancy with the plastic, and not-so-fancy with the aluminum.

Nice alternator. Lets hope it can pass the originals record of 25 years. :ack:

After everything was nice and finished, took it for a spin around town listening to these guys. :chillin: Can definitely tell the difference of the newer one from the old one. Seems to have a bit more get-up-and-go power now than it used to. Could just be my imagination though. comanche.gif

s6BTTJo1KmM

Decided I'm going to start the process of getting the inside of the bed painted to match the rest of the truck when I get off from work tomorrow. The only downside is having to sand down the bed... Oh well; at least the truck will have a 100% matching paintjob when I'm done. :yes: :wrench:

Started my glorious weekend today. Spent the entire day sleeping it away though. :ack: Did manage to get the other OEM floor mat painted black though. Just need to throw one more coat on it in the morning.

Headed out to Lowe's and picked up another quart of "Afternoon Tea" to start on the bed tomorrow morning. I should have it done by the day's end, if no interruptions occur. crossfingers.gif

- - - On a side note - - -

Picked up the busted (needs 2 strings and the bridge / Floyd Rose re-calibrated) '91 MG40 for a Bryan Adams jam session while I surfed here and on IFSJA. I'm probably taking it back into the repair shop along with the Squire Bullet next paycheck. The MG40 won't be too much to get worked on, but the Bullet is going to need some serious attention. Might even throw a decent set of pickups on it depending on what I want to use it for. We'll see :brows:

nCBASt507WA

Got a late start on prepping the bed. I blame a good lunch. :yes:

Washed everything first, then the FL heat took care of the drying. Looks different without the toolbox inside.

An hour later with one coat of AT. No more AMC Midnight Blue; at least, none that's really visible. :wrench: biggthumpup.gif

Will finally have a completely painted truck by tomorrow's end. Except for the jambs, but nobody ever looks at those :yes: :banana: I'm also going to finish the painting the final fender flare. :brows:

Look at that sheen. biggthumpup.gif Feels good; still needs a final 3rd coat though. I didn't get to that fender flare either. Sort of "slipped my mind"... whistle.gif :thwak:

Going to round up some cool poser shots tomorrow before I head back to work. :wrench: :cheers: