Project MJ for 2011 Ultimate Adventure - Update for '12 Trip

UA actually finished up this past weekend. It was a massive last-minute effort getting the MJ out the door for the start two Saturdays ago. We put in 50 hours the last 3 days of the build. Since we were running so tight the updates/pictures had to be put off to the side. They got back in town late yesterday afternoon. The MJ did great. Only a few front axle issues and minor wiring gremlins caused them some troubles early on. After that it was smooth sailing. The MJ tackled anything Pewe lead them to. The guys never had to winch and handled nearly everything on the first try. Carter is working on a complete recap of the build and trip for the Blog. He got lots of pics and video too. I am just as excited to see it as you guys are so I will keep you posted.

Post up any questions you have. Sorry for not updating sooner. I took a much needed week off after the build.

Also, check out the Peterson's 4wheel and offroad Facebook page...that is where they put all of their trip updates this year. Several pictures there...a couple of the MJ.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you that want to see the MJ in person, your first chance will be this weekend. It will be in our booth at the PA All-breeds Jeep Show in York, PA this weekend. This is a great show to see anything and everything Jeep. Carter is scheduled to be there just a week removed from getting back from the UA. If you ask nice he might have some stories for you.

good stuff. I'm sure those guys loved those fumes lol. how about some wheeling videos...? or do we have to buy the UA dvd? surely you guys shot some of your own footage

is the MJ making any other appearances anytime soon?

Love the truck I know it is going to be a head turner everywhere it goes all MJs do once the Jeep guys see it. I see in the last video I saw you did something different with the front grill. I am thinking that would look cool on a much milder build. How did you do it?

good stuff. I'm sure those guys loved those fumes lol. how about some wheeling videos...? or do we have to buy the UA dvd? surely you guys shot some of your own footage

is the MJ making any other appearances anytime soon?

You will have to buy the DVD for specific trail video/info. We will have some video of select parts (trail/road/etc) up until the DVD is released. Basically part of the agreement with the magazine is to obvioulys not play spoiler for the upcoming mag articles and video. Afterall, they are doing all of this to sell magazines and we advertise in those magazines so we want them to sell as may as possible.

This MJ will most likely be at all of the remaining shows we have scheduled this year. We will keep everyone posted on the Zone website and Blog about upcoming shows. I will also do my best to notify you here. This project is far from over. We will be playing with this thing and tweaking stuff for quite a while. We plan to get at least 2-3 years out of this one before our next big Jeep build. We do still have the '92 Comanche setting in the shop that we plan to do a more down-to-earth build on with actual production products we have or will have soon. I will do a seperate build thread for that if people show interest.

From the show schedule I have handy, looks like the next couple shows the MJ will be at are the Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival in Butler, PA on Aug 12-14 and the big one...the Indy 4Wheel Jamboree in Indianapolis Sept 16-18. After that it is off to the SEMA show in Las Vegas the week of Nov 1st.

Love the truck I know it is going to be a head turner everywhere it goes all MJs do once the Jeep guys see it. I see in the last video I saw you did something different with the front grill. I am thinking that would look cool on a much milder build. How did you do it?

Basically we were looking to do something a little unique that might not be super prominant among all the other changes but would be noticeable on a second look. We cut out all of the small grill fins leaving just the large, Jeep signiture bars making it look similar to a new body style Cherokee grill. We then cut and formed a wire mesh sheet and fastened it between the grill and the front grill shell. Our original plan was to color match the grill and headlight surrounds but we ran out of time. That will probably be something we still fit in later on. We will also most likely put in clear corner lights to clean up the look a little more.

do you guys plan on making that winch bumper a production one?

No plans for that at this point. Once the show season settles down here in the next month or two we are going to go back through this thing a look at possible products. We are a second Comanche that we plan to build up with products we intend to produce/offer.

:rock on: Very Nice !!! :bowdown:

what is the plans for the steering ? PSC pump & box ? steering pump brace ? track bar brace ?

Most likely we will be putting hydro assist on it in the future. We knew going in that the 40's and stock steering box were not going to play well with each other. We just flat out ran out of time to address that when trying to meet our UA deadline. There are actually several things that fell into that catagory that we will go back and address soon.

saw this truck at the PAJeep show this weekend and its jamminz.gif

i couldnt believe they had already done UA...i was expecting it to look like a crushed soda can afterward but it literally had one quarter sized dent

guys from zone took time to shoot the $#!& for a while too :cheers:

anyway that front winch bumper set up is the ticket

saw this truck at the PAJeep show this weekend and its jamminz.gif

i couldnt believe they had already done UA...i was expecting it to look like a crushed soda can afterward but it literally had one quarter sized dent

guys from zone took time to shoot the $#!& for a while too :cheers:

anyway that front winch bumper set up is the ticket

Glad you liked it. There are a couple more dents you must have missed but you are correct, the guys took good care of it for us.

Had a great time checking it out and chatting with you guys as well :cheers:

Thanks for stopping by.

For all of you that weren't able to make it to the PA Jeeps show, here are a bunch of pics:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 775&type=1 Several of Project MJ in there as well as several other cool rigs we came across.

For the second year in a row we talked one of our customers into doing a live install of our TJ 3" lift right at the booth. As usual the install went smoothly and as you will see by the pictures, he was out wheeling it later in the day.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of updates on the Blog. The magazine has requested we hold off sharing any trip details until the mag articles are in print. As soon as we get the :thumbsup: we will finish up the 3-part project review we started on the Blog. Until then, here is a update from the 4WOR site feature our rig.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/2011/ultim ... 9U8Y-tOTv9 Just click on the "Day 6" video.

The Zone crew is heading back out on the event trail again this weekend Aug 12th-14th. Dave and Carter are headed out with the Zone 2011 Chevy HD and show trailer with Project MJ stashed inside en route to the Bantam Jeep Festival in Butler, PA. We will be set up next to our local dealer, Meridian Offroad Center, in the vendor area. Stop by and check out the MJ and say hi to the guys. Also, stop in and meet Rob and the crew from Meridian Offroad. Rob is a great guy and he also owns and operates his own offroad park, the Outback Adventure Park...one of the best kept secrets in western PA.

http://www.bantamjeepfestival.com/

• 1 month later...

Still working great. It is in Indianapolis right now at the 30th Annual 4-Wheel Jamboree Nationals http://zoneoffroad.com/blog/?p=1959&utm ... ad+Blog%29 . Other than a ball joint problem on the first trail of the UA the front axle is holding up just fine.

The first of the magazine articles for the UA are in the current issue of Peterson's 4wheel and offroad for those of you that get that mag. I think Carter still plans on doing a final writeup of the overall project, just have to wait on all the mag coverage to be released. We have also been insanely busy with the final part of the summer show season and prepping for SEMA is next.

Just keep checking back on our Blog for new stuff about the MJ and everything else Zone Offroad. If anything specific about the MJ comes up I will post up here.

Oh, and about selling it, I will keep you in mind in about 2 yrs when we get rid of this for the next project. :D