3 inch lift or 4.5 inch lift

:dunno: I want to lift my 1989 mj pioneer 4.0L 2wd but I needing some help deciding 3inch or 4.5inch and I also want to know if 4.5 inch with 32's would be to much for my 2wd and take to much power form the engine :???:

3" and 31s are a good compromise for stock gearing.

being 2wd or 4wd doesn't matter in this discussion. gearing is key. :thumbsup:

either way, don't go cheap on the lift. :wrench:

gearing costs hundreds to change. a better choice is to find a junkyard axle with better gears already installed. 4.10 gears is a pretty common choice. look for 2.5L MJ/XJ/YJs (a warning though, that 2.5/4speeds came with 3.55 gears so you need to check) or some Explorers came with 4.10s in their 8.8 rear axles.

what is the intended use for the truck?

I had no power issues with a 4.0/AW4/3.55 combo like yours with 32's.

Everyone has opinions, and here is mine: Rough Country rides like crap and has horrible customer service. Even their fans admit it takes several tries for them to get the order right but defend it by saying it is OK because in the end they often send free stuff... :roll: I was shorted multiple times on my lift kit order and they never made it right.

I had no power issues with a 4.0/AW4/3.55 combo like yours with 32's.

Everyone has opinions, and here is mine: Rough Country rides like crap and has horrible customer service. Even their fans admit it takes several tries for them to get the order right but defend it by saying it is OK because in the end they often send free stuff... :roll: I was shorted multiple times on my lift kit order and they never made it right.

Well which lift kit do you recommend I'm open for recommendations.

Depends how much you want to spend. 4.5" lift kit can range from around $500 to around $2000.

Bang for the buck the RC kit is probably your best bet,just remember when you buy a $500 kit you get a $500 kit so don't get mad when it doesn't ride like a high end kit.

How come the RC 4.5" kit doesn't come with the required track bar?

Its not really required the axle just won't sit centered.

The probably didn't include it to keep the cost down,RRO does the same thing with their kits. they give you the absolute minimum then its up to you to add anything else you want.

With the RC kit they direct you to re-drill the mounting hole on the axle side .75" to the driver's side to re-center the axle.

Although Hellcreek uses RC components for what they don't make themselves, I was very impressed with their customer service. I have heard good and bad about Rusty's but the two XJ's I wheel with regularly have had very good luck with them. That is all of the personal experience I have with them. Motion Off-road provides a lot of good tech info to us MJ people and has a lot of MJ parts, but I have no experience with them. The MJ in my sig is the '88 with the 4.5 RC kit and 32x11.5's on factory Gambler rims.

A 3" lift and 31x10'5 are a good look on MJ's IMHO. As the 32" tire only nets .5" of additional ground clearance ofer the 31-inchers, I would probably go that route for a 4x2. Powertrax no-slip the rear and have at it.

I am currently converting a '91 SWB 2wd Pioneer into 4x4. For the front I found a set of used 4.5" R.E. springs, used adjustable lower control arms, and a used adjustable track bar. It was relatively easy and cheap to source as it is all XJ stuff. For the rear I am swapping out the turdy-five for a 29 spl 8.25 and doing a SOA. I will then either adjust the front up with spacers or the rear down with XJ shackles to even the truck. Luckily I have friends who weld and I will end up with much less than $500 in the lift when I am through and that is with the cost of the matching front/rear axle set. :thumbsup: I still need to scrounge up the cash for a 4x4 AW4 & t-case.....

Since it's 2wd I'd just stick to the 3" lift and 32s because of how much cheaper it'll be unless you plan on turning it into 4wd

Yes i'm planning too convert it to 4wd but I need some help figuring out what is the best way to tackle that project.

With the RC kit they direct you to re-drill the mounting hole on the axle side .75" to the driver's side to re-center the axle.

Although Hellcreek uses RC components for what they don't make themselves, I was very impressed with their customer service. I have heard good and bad about Rusty's but the two XJ's I wheel with regularly have had very good luck with them. That is all of the personal experience I have with them. Motion Off-road provides a lot of good tech info to us MJ people and has a lot of MJ parts, but I have no experience with them. The MJ in my sig is the '88 with the 4.5 RC kit and 32x11.5's on factory Gambler rims.

A 3" lift and 31x10'5 are a good look on MJ's IMHO. As the 32" tire only nets .5" of additional ground clearance ofer the 31-inchers, I would probably go that route for a 4x2. Powertrax no-slip the rear and have at it.

I am currently converting a '91 SWB 2wd Pioneer into 4x4. For the front I found a set of used 4.5" R.E. springs, used adjustable lower control arms, and a used adjustable track bar. It was relatively easy and cheap to source as it is all XJ stuff. For the rear I am swapping out the turdy-five for a 29 spl 8.25 and doing a SOA. I will then either adjust the front up with spacers or the rear down with XJ shackles to even the truck. Luckily I have friends who weld and I will end up with much less than $500 in the lift when I am through and that is with the cost of the matching front/rear axle set. :thumbsup: I still need to scrounge up the cash for a 4x4 AW4 & t-case.....

Yeah I would love too convert it into a 4x4 because I been dreaming to make it a rock crawler, but I need help with what parts I need, what year parts to use , and where to get them. My Mj is a 1989 pioneer 4.0L 2wd automatic :dunno:

I'd rather have a complete 3" lift than half a 4.5" lift.

31s fit much better in the wheelwells and have less affect on ride quality.

I hated my 3.07s and just 30" tall tires. you couldn't pay me to be undergeared again.

how much road travel will the truck will see? freeway?

I'd rather have a complete 3" lift than half a 4.5" lift.

31s fit much better in the wheelwells and have less affect on ride quality.

I hated my 3.07s and just 30" tall tires. you couldn't pay me to be undergeared again.

how much road travel will the truck will see? freeway?

What 3" lift do you recommend, a lot road travel

What suspension do you have no your red mj :popcorn:

I would say 4.5 hell creek lift and go with a 4:10 gearing if you wana go up to 33's. If you have a dana 35 rear like I'm sure you do unless your lucky, go with a ford 8.8 rear out of a 96-01 ford explorer. and it might be cheeper and smarter to go with a locker in the rear instead of converting to 4x4. Its alot of work, a lockers not.

Brandon

keep in mind that vehicle height and tire height will adversely affect handling. if your truck is a daily driver, please give some consideration to how you will be spending 99% of your time in that seat. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't get any lift that didn't include lower control arms and extended swaybar links. but you can also piece together a decent kit. just make sure it's complete.

What suspension do you have on your red mj :popcorn:

completely custom with ford axles

:idea: Yeah most definitely I'm on the road in the truck a lot I'm probably going to piece a kit together. Probably going to get a 4.5 inch kit, sway bar disconnects, and adjustable lower control arms, and 31x10.5 tires. After I recuporate for the money lost I will probably get a dana 44 rear for it. COMMENTS OR ADVISE NEEDED!!! :popcorn:

:idea: Yeah most definitely I'm on the road in the truck a lot I'm probably going to piece a kit together. Probably going to get a 4.5 inch kit, sway bar disconnects, and adjustable lower control arms, and 31x10.5 tires. After I recuporate for the money lost I will probably get a dana 44 rear for it. COMMENTS OR ADVISE NEEDED!!! :popcorn:

Spend the extra $130 and pony up for an adjustable trackbar.

Don't forget you need need shocks.

Agree on the adjustable LCAs.

Spend the extra $130 and pony up for an adjustable trackbar.

Don't forget you need need shocks.

Agree on the adjustable LCAs.

LCAs ?? what is that :dunce:

LCA-lower control arm

UCA-Upper control arm