Track Bar knocking.....

Ok I know that this has to be on here somewhere already so I did a search and didnt find what I was looking for. Luck for me I know a group of amazing people who can help me....

I installed a 3" roughcountry suspension lift on my mj and didn't replace the track bar. Now it is bad and I was wondering if anyone had any sugjestions on a new one.... Should I get an adjustable/extended one what brand is best ect ect? any links or comments would be great :cheers:

I guess I'm really asking do I need an adjustable one for such a small lift, or would OE be best?

:help:

can still use a stock replacement and after lift it just made the going bad one go bad faster. mine did the same. if anything you would end up just needing to drill a new hole 1/2 to the drivers side from original trac bar mount hol on axle, not needed by all means, but can be done if need be. Just get your self a stock one or for the same money you could get an adjustable one from Rusty's or something if wanted to add more lift later or something. i vote for stocker. :thumbsup:

I vote for an adjustable. First, because drilling a new hole on the axle bracket is redneck, and you're just guessing where to put it and hoping it will more or less center the axle. Second, when (not if) it goes bad, then you get to buy a while new track bar again.

With an adjustable, you don't drill any new holes, you get the axle exactly centered. and when the upper end wears out you only buy a standard tie rod end, for a fraction of the cost of a whole track bar.

I agree with Eagle and I wouldn't drill a new hole in the mount (not much room there). But if you have to cheap out, here's a link to show you how it's done right w/o ruining your track bar mount.

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoTrackbar.htm

I have the same lift (3") as yours and used a Teraflex adj. track bar because it doesn't require knocking one end loose to adjust.

http://www.teraflex.biz/front-adjustable-trackbar.html

I vote for an adjustable. First, because drilling a new hole on the axle bracket is redneck, and you're just guessing where to put it and hoping it will more or less center the axle. Second, when (not if) it goes bad, then you get to buy a while new track bar again.

With an adjustable, you don't drill any new holes, you get the axle exactly centered. and when the upper end wears out you only buy a standard tie rod end, for a fraction of the cost of a whole track bar.

Thats what I was thinking too Eagle. Which adjustable track bar would you recommend? I do plan on getting an xj and putting the 3" lift on it and doing like a 6" on the mj in the future but that won't be for a while so I need an adjustable track bar that will be good for a 3" lift for now? Do you have any links? Thanks for the help :cheers: ill drink a beer and think of you friend

P.s. I love the smilie it look just like my MJ comanche.gif

The IRO is beefy, and well worth the $$$. If you plan to go bigger, I would even drop the extra $50 on the HD trackbar they offer. For 3", you are fine with the TRE-style. Forget the spacers, go with something solid.

The IRO is beefy, and well worth the $$$. If you plan to go bigger, I would even drop the extra $50 on the HD trackbar they offer. For 3", you are fine with the TRE-style. Forget the spacers, go with something solid.

I agree. I would go with the HD double share trac bar. I bought a used rubicon express adj trac bar from someone and he had the HD bracket with the regular trac bar, so I ordered the double share trac bar to go with the bracket. I will just keep the single share one for a future build.

Thats what I was thinking too Eagle. Which adjustable track bar would you recommend?

I don't know which one I would recommend, but I know without question that I do NOT recommend Rusty's. My own was only one of them that I know of failing. One of my NAXJA-NAC friends had the weld nut on a Rusty's bar pop out of the tube, leaving him with effectively no track bar.

Hint: You can't steer an XJ or MJ without a functional track bar.

Thats what I was thinking too Eagle. Which adjustable track bar would you recommend?

I don't know which one I would recommend, but I know without question that I do NOPT recommend Rusty's. My own was only one of them that I know of failing. One of my NAXJA-NAC friends had the weld nut on a Rusty's bar pop out of the tube, leaving him with effectively no track bar.

Hint: You can't steer an XJ or MJ without a functional track bar.

Thanks For the tip I'm thinking the IRO one with the tie rod end........and I'm still planning on putting in the 1" spacers in the front would be a total of 4" of lift..... I'm going to mesure the space on the rear and the space on the front to see the difference.

Also my rear axle looks like it is off center by that I mean further forward is that normal with an add a leaf? or do I need to tweek something?

I agree with everyone else, adjustable is a must. I would also suggest a double shear setup if you plan on doing a lot of wheeling with it. I have Iron Rock's double shear adjustable on the XJ and i will have one on my MJ as well.

On jeep forum , there must be hundreds of happy IRO customers with their front track bars .

There also use to be a thread about the bad RRO experience . There were hundreds of unhappy customers

Rusty's had some issues with breaking track bars a few years back . I think it's since been fixed , but , as much as my experience with Rusty's was very good , I still wouldn't want that product .

Best , and beefiest track bar on the market is Clayton's . It's a double sleeved clevite bushing on the axle side which allows for little chance of play ever . The johnny joint side is freakin huge . It can be used with or without the bracket . The bracket is also pure beef . It's dropped quite a bit , lower than most (I have RE and Claytons) . Needless to say , it's also one of the most expensive .

IRO's double shear with bracket hands down gets the best bang for your buck vote