Should I Restore 1987 Comanche?

Hello Comanche Club.

Great Blog.

Back Story: I bought a 1987 2.5L Base Comanche 4x4 (see Pic) with 91,000 miles for $1600. I live in the Bay Area of California and usually take public transportation to work 5 days a week. On weekends I ski when I can and mtn bike and want to start kite boarding. I do not have a car. Want a 4x4 truck to take me to Sierra's or Idaho camping trips. Bought it and it will cost me $900 to get smogged (Cat converter, ECG and O2 sensor need replaced). I am 41 and do not have time to wrench on a truck but will pay someone $$ ($8000?) over a few months to restore and make reliable (Interior is shot).

Question: Should I?

P.S. Like the truck a lot.

P.P.S. can't figure out how to upload a picture.

P.P.P.S Looked under my carpet and there was a leak (mild) from the Master Cylinder, limited rust and sat in a garage for past 10 years.

The 2.5 will run as long as the 4.0 will.... very reliable. I have 346,000 on mine.... (200,000 on second engine) and it runs great. A new converter and 02 sensor will make a big difference. Youll have oil leaks too, the valve cover, the rear main seal being the worst culprits, especially if it has sat for a while. And since its sat that long, youll need the brakes looked at too, they don't usually fare well with extended storage. The calipers and wheel cylinder will need looked at to make sure theyre working properly. Interiors can be had from most any Cherokee, as far as dash, and door panels go, but some of the peices are Comanche specific, so that will all depend on what you need. The 2.5 is no power house, so as long you don't expect too much youll be fine. Good luck on your resto and finding decent help with it!

I was in the exact same situation as you. I decided to restore it. I didnt do any of the work beyond "tinkering". I have three other vehicles besides this comanche and lots of other toys I don't really need. This old comanche is by far my favorite vehicle. I can't explain why. I don't understand it myself.

By the way, 1987 what a great year! That makes it Amercan Motors. You can scoff at Chrysler.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21903

In order to post pics on the forum, you will need to set up an account with photo storage site such as photobucket. It doesnt cost anything. Upload your photos to that. Then when you add a post on the comanche forum, you link to the photo on photobucket.

Welcome, first of all. There is a post on how to upload photos from Photobucket or other photo host sites. We thrive on pictures, so please find that post to appease our hunger.

With a big budget you may consider swapping in a 4.0 but, whatever you decide, I''m sure will be exciting.

I'm going to swim against the tide here and say you should sell the truck and purchase one that's already in the condition you desire. If your willing to spend $8,000, then you can buy a comanche in fantastic condition and save yourself the headaches of attempting to find reliable folks to hire for restoration work. Most folks who restore a vehicle then sell it lose money if they place any value on their labor. Car restoration for most car models (some classics excluded) is not a busness plan, rather an enjoyed hobby. Good luck.

I'm going to swim against the tide here and say you should sell the truck and purchase one that's already in the condition you desire. If your willing to spend $8,000, then you can buy a comanche in fantastic condition and save yourself the headaches of attempting to find reliable folks to hire for restoration work. Most folks who restore a vehicle then sell it lose money if they place any value on their labor. Car restoration for most car models (some classics excluded) is not a busness plan, rather an enjoyed hobby. Good luck.

That's a good point. BUT, if you really love the truck and want to keep it for a few years, eventually something will go wrong, and it would be useful to already have someone familiar with the truck and know a few good mechanics in your area. Finding a mechanic and paying someone to work on your truck would then be part of the learning process. For $8k, you have a lot of options. If the truck you have now is overall in good condition (rust wise, engine is nice) and it has the major features you want like the transmission, bed length, etc, I vote for restoring it; you shouldn't be spending much more than $2-3k to get it back in nice condition. If you really want a 4.0, or a later HO model, or a metric tonne packager or something, then like Walkenvol suggested, get the truck of your dreams somewhere in the country and you'll have money to fly out and drive it back if you want (or have it shipped).

Thank you for all the insights. I will make a point to get some pictures up here.

This restore is about getting some reliable/classic/unique wheels with no plans of reselling. So I will go with bringing the truck back to good condition. Thanks for the contrarian (sp) view, thats what I was looking for: feedback.

I live in the North Bay (near Fairfax) which means if it's fun its illegal (like Mtn Biking on a good trail or 4x4). For those who don't live here, I live in Marin County which is pretty but a bit overprotective of its woods etc. No off road allowed, stay on designated bike trails etc. Failure to do so is a $300 ticket.

So, I will proceed and continue to read more and more on this blog. It's an asset beyond description!!

Oh...yea...the Serial Number on the '87 is: 008787.

1987: The same year it all started going down hill for me: Graduated High School and lost my Virginity. Ever since I've been trying to get back to the former and wasting too much time pursuing the latter. ;-)

That's a good point. BUT, if you really love the truck and want to keep it for a few years, eventually something will go wrong, and it would be useful to already have someone familiar with the truck and know a few good mechanics in your area. Finding a mechanic and paying someone to work on your truck would then be part of the learning process. For $8k, you have a lot of options. If the truck you have now is overall in good condition (rust wise, engine is nice) and it has the major features you want like the transmission, bed length, etc, I vote for restoring it; you shouldn't be spending much more than $2-3k to get it back in nice condition. If you really want a 4.0, or a later HO model, or a metric tonne packager or something, then like Walkenvol suggested, get the truck of your dreams somewhere in the country and you'll have money to fly out and drive it back if you want (or have it shipped).

Also, the condition your describing is a great fixer up for the price. If you pay more for a "fantastic" truck, you'll just be looking at the same problems down the road. If you plan on keeping this truck for a while, which you will, you might as well pay less for it and get these repairs done early.

But no ones sayin you can't buy another one too :brows:

If you pay a lot for a fantastic truck, what are you going to think about it.

Beautiful truck and its mine, I paid xxx dollars for it, ho hum.....

Or, I built it, put a lot of time and effort into her, she's uniquely mine, I probably won't ever sell her.

Not saying you have to build it all your self, but if you make it happen.

Definitely a labor of love and one of the reasons we are here