A video to make you flatlanders cringe......and cry, or both

Sir Sam

I couldn't finish it...too boring. but my point is...what's so special about this? yeah, it's down hill (or down mountain...whichever you prefer).

either way....you're not in a 2010 ford van with a 4.6 v8 and an adaptive transmission. that's an easy drive in a jeep...try getting that ford van to slow down down hill, or do better than 45mph up hill. not gonna happen (yes, speaking from experience here).

I couldn't finish it...too boring. but my point is...what's so special about this? yeah, it's down hill (or down mountain...whichever you prefer).

either way....you're not in a 2010 ford van with a 4.6 v8 and an adaptive transmission. that's an easy drive in a jeep...try getting that ford van to slow down down hill, or do better than 45mph up hill. not gonna happen (yes, speaking from experience here).

It's not the incline, its the 800 foot drop off on the opposite lane that sends white knuckled texans over the double yellow line into mine.

The first time I went over that road was as a passenger, was to young to drive, in a 1938 Studebaker. It wasn't paved then, just graveled. Had to stop every couple miles going up and let the engine cool down. Stopped every couple miles going down and let the brakes cool. It had the new 'free wheeling' feature and it quit working so we couldn't ride compression going down hill. My aunt Bea told my uncle Bill that if he ever did that to her again she would [censored] to him. Next time I went over it, many years later, was in a shiny new 1970 J10. Couldn't even recognize it as the same road. They sure ruined a good trail when they paved it.

It's not the incline, its the 800 foot drop off on the opposite lane that sends white knuckled texans over the double yellow line into mine.

Hey now! I've drove that road many times with no swaybars and aired down! :rotf: (Even in Texas people can't stay on their side of the line!)

Hey now! I've drove that road many times with no swaybars and aired down! :rotf: (Even in Texas people can't stay on their side of the line!)

I was referring to the Texan in the 2WD suburban that wants to play chicken with me.

I didn't cringe watching it, actually I could only make it a minute into it before I was too bored to keep watching. Try driving on roads like that in a sports car and then it becomes fun. I took my SRT through roads like that in the Smoky Mountains, had a blast.

I didn't cringe watching it, actually I could only make it a minute into it before I was too bored to keep watching. Try driving on roads like that in a sports car and then it becomes fun. I took my SRT through roads like that in the Smoky Mountains, had a blast.

Taken my 300zx Twin Turbo up and down that road several times. Just never had a camera in the vehicle with me. I need one of those go-pro camera's and mount it up on the right front bumper sticking out a foot and then run the road.

Taking a Miata down that road would be a blast!

There's lots of mountain roads that are twisty with dropoffs in Oregon, but that one is far more interesting/scenic. Nice vid.

Thanks, but actually its more fun to go UP. You are on the edge of the road more often, you can keep the vehicle under power instead of having to use brakes to slow down all the time, generally you can go faster up than down.

Not as long, but taking Government Pass at Mount Hood in Oregon has some of the same switchbacks and deep dropoffs. First time wife and I took our "always lived in flat nebraska" Son-in-Law and his son over it, absolute silence in the car! When we lived in Oregon, drove it quite often traveling from Coos Bay to Burns and after Burns, to Redmond, Oregon.

Not as long, but taking Government Pass at Mount Hood in Oregon has some of the same switchbacks and deep dropoffs. First time wife and I took our "always lived in flat nebraska" Son-in-Law and his son over it, absolute silence in the car! When we lived in Oregon, drove it quite often traveling from Coos Bay to Burns and after Burns, to Redmond, Oregon.

Ya I have family from Texas and one uncle in particular who freaks out about elevation, even the most minor hill and he has trouble coping with it.

Ewww, Burns! I haven't been there in five years and don't miss it a bit. A fun drive in that part of Oregon is on Hwy 26 west of John Day through the gorge near the fossil beds. Did that one in our Escape a few weeks ago. Surprisingly scenic for what it is.

Government Camp is a lot of fun too, but not in the snow. Going through the Warm Springs reservation on 26 has some white knuckle stretches for flatlanders when breaching the rimrock.

When ever I go through Warm Springs I have white knuckles just from dodging drunks coming off the reservation. Love that drive from Redmond to Johnday. Hit sit elk all at one shot on that road just before it really starts to climb to Ochoco. Didn't hurt any of them enuf to cripple them. Rearranged the front of the Ford box van some-what. The drive from Burns to Pendleton on 395 is fun in the Winter.

Ewww, Burns! I haven't been there in five years and don't miss it a bit. A fun drive in that part of Oregon is on Hwy 26 west of John Day through the gorge near the fossil beds. Did that one in our Escape a few weeks ago. Surprisingly scenic for what it is.

Government Camp is a lot of fun too, but not in the snow. Going through the Warm Springs reservation on 26 has some white knuckle stretches for flatlanders when breaching the rimrock.

My wife spent her high school years at Burns, the mid 1960's. Used to catch 26 coming in from Eugene/Springfield. Always loved coming through the lava rock beds in the spring! Also liked stopping at Lost Lake.

Iv had a lot of fun on mountains. I used to pick up capmers and transport them back to iowa I have passed so many chevys lol going up and down hills with a ford f350 4x4 with the 7.3 turbo deisel 5 spd in a 97 and auto in a quad cab long box 01 f350 with same motor. I wuld realy like to hit that road when there's minimal traffic I love to drift windy roads lol.