H.I.D. Lighting

yeah its happened to many people when they ask me about hids. one of them want one with 120k kelvin i was like LOL I'm still bright and enjoy the pink light. they just choked and drop the convo. later they now want 6000k haha

smilielol.gifLOL!

''many people'' should do more research google.gif

before buying pink lights = willy_nilly.gifWilly Nilly

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did they mess up any wiring when u had them installed

The ones I installed were very simple, plug and play, I didn't even have to modify any of the original wiring. So I can go back to stock, if I wanted to, at any time.

HID's are by far one of the best things I have done to my XJ, My MJ will be getting a set soon along with an upgraded harness. I went with 5000k on my XJ and I think i'm gonna go with 4500k on the MJ because the 5000k are a little too blue for my taste. Also who said the DDM raptor ballasts keep going out? I have had mine in going on a year and a half and no issues with bulbs or ballasts. They are Bright, ask Wade! :D I would love to do a retro fit on one or both of the rigs but the majority of my extra money goes to the XJ.

And just because I finally have an MJ:

comanche.gif

The ones I installed were very simple, plug and play, I didn't even have to modify any of the original wiring. So I can go back to stock, if I wanted to, at any time.

:agree: you could go back to stock, if u wanted to!

H.I.D's need the full 12V's. on my MJ i had to add a piggy back wire harness to support the stock ground wire W/ 14G wire.

all the local jeep er have them, 4 xj's & 2 mj's. one of the XJ's had less then 12V's in his stock head light harness. this = a HID light show. like a strobe light.twitch.gif

we had to make him a aftermarket head light harness

simplerelaycircuit.JPG

so his parking lights & interior lights work on the stock head light switch & his H.I.D's have there own circuit W/ full 12V's.

:agree: you could go back to stock, if I wanted to!

H.I.D's need the full 12V's. on my MJ i had to add a piggy back wire harness to support the stock ground wire W/ 14G wire.

all the local jeep er have them, 4 xj's & 2 mj's. one of the XJ's had less then 12V's in his stock head light harness. this = a HID light show. like a strobe light.twitch.gif

we had to make him a aftermarket head light harness

simplerelaycircuit.JPG

so his parking lights & interior lights work on the stock head light switch & his H.I.D's have there own circuit W/ full 12V's.

you could just use the factory light circuit to trigger the relay and then the HIDs would work just like factory lights. unless he wanted them on another switch.

you could just use the factory light circuit to trigger the relay and then the HIDs would work just like factory lights. unless he wanted them on another switch.

we were loosing voltage in the factory light circuit. 20yr old wire's

& he did not mind the aftermarket switch. he dos not have a lot of them like me.

That's. Awesome. Strobe lights that sounds like fun

dance.gifbananadance.gifjive.gif

I have, but not installed, the H4 IPF lens and HID setup from skinnypedal.com. The lights are triggered from the stock wiring and powered directly from the battery. I went with the 4300K lights. The IPF housings provide a pretty good cut off, which is desired with HIDs.

when you had a shop install your H.I.D's how did they mount your ballast's?

the best way i have found is to glue them to the inner fender wall with silicone & with an 1/8 to 1/4 thick it also work as an isolator.

pic's of the 4 glued to my MJ

pic's of the 2 glued to my XJ

Ok ima little confused is there a special kit that I have to use or are they all the same how do they fit into the housing.

you need the H-4 H.I.D bulbs ballast's, they will fit in your autopal housings.

how much u think it cost to have someone put them in

I don't know what SubSonic payed? :hmm: but paying any thing to have some one to plug in a light bulb is paying to much!stuckup.gif

take out the halogen H4 bulb, put H.I.D H4 bulb in housing, glue ballast's to inner fender walls & plug in wires to head light harness.

Ok ima little confused is there a special kit that I have to use or are they all the same how do they fit into the housing.

you need the H-4 H.I.D bulbs ballast's, they will fit in your autopal housings.

how much u think it cost to have someone put them in

I don't know what SubSonic payed? :hmm: but paying any thing to have some one to plug in a light bulb is paying to much!stuckup.gif

take out the halogen H4 bulb, put H.I.D H4 bulb in housing, glue ballast's to inner fender walls & plug in wires to head light harness.

Thats awesome I know the next thing I'm getting probly tommorow.

right on have u looked at the hid offroad lights i hear they are good. they are the ones from autozone for like $129.00 or so but worth every penny from what i hear.

do you means "so called" HID from autozone? I'm sure it still a halogen but more like xenon. i wouldnt buy it anyway.

Well if they are the same ones O'Reillys sells, they are actual HIDs. However they are made by CA (custom accessories) which specializes in things like illuminated ashtrays, and light up windshield washer nozzles so yeah, probably wouldn't pay $130 for em.

That said I'll probably order some to sit at my store, and hope they go on clearance so I can buy them for a third of that. 8)

codymanche

i think ima do the hids now. i got the project lens already i got those on ebay for $15.00. ill get pics up when i do it

FlexdXJ

HID's are by far one of the best things I have done to my XJ, My MJ will be getting a set soon along with an upgraded harness.

I have, but not installed, the H4 IPF lens and HID setup from skinnypedal.com. The lights are triggered from the stock wiring and powered directly from the battery. I went with the 4300K lights. The IPF housings provide a pretty good cut off, which is desired with HIDs.
I have to stop going on the Internet for a while because my jeep list just keeps growing!

That kit is next after my on board air :wrench:

MjAllTheWay

Thats awesome I know the next thing I'm getting probly tommorow.

:popcorn: please post some pic's :drool:

can't wait to seedrool1.gif

Well if they are the same ones O'Reillys sells, they are actual HIDs. However they are made by CA (custom accessories) which specializes in things like illuminated ashtrays, and light up windshield washer nozzles so yeah, probably wouldn't pay $130 for em.

That said I'll probably order some to sit at my store, and hope they go on clearance so I can buy them for a third of that.

i recommend ordering some hella 500's for $34.99 to $57.12 for a quality housing W/ great optic's & easy to convert to H-3 H.I.D' bulbs.

And if you use the cheaper ddm tuning Bulb's & ballast's for $40.00, you are still way under the price of those ''custom accessories'' light's :thwak:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=hella+500&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11583620845748756926&sa=X&ei=q8eeTePQIbHOiAKApoXvAg&ved=0CCIQ8wIwAQ#

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

Once you go past 5000k you get less light output the higher you go, but, a lot more pretty color. The $39 thin ballast lights are crap. Had a couple set of them and they both do the same thing. When I turn them on they may or may not light up, or only one light at a time. The other light comes on when it feels like it. Granted once lit they put out the light. Just quirky.

The $39 thin ballast lights are crap. Had a couple set of them and they both do the same thing. When I turn them on they may or may not light up, or only one light at a time. The other light comes on when it feels like it.

on my MJ i had to add a piggy back wire harness to support the stock ground wire W/ 14G wire.

all the local jeep er have them, 4 xj's & 2 mj's. one of the XJ's had less then 12V's in his stock head light harness. this = a HID light show. like a strobe light.

what i meant by ''like a strobe light''. is ''When I turn them on they may or may not light up, or only one light at a time. The other light comes on when it feels like it''

sounds like you have a 22yr old head light harness with less then 12V?

try touching the wire directly to the battery to test

:hmm: i don't know if The $39 thin ballast lights are crap though. :dunno: