H.I.D. Lighting

Well, I got this stupid idea, or brilliant. I had an extra pair of subwoofers lying around. (I now have 2 12s in a box I built that fits behind the bench seat :D )

Anyway, back on topic, I traded those for some sealed beam to h4 conversion housings and found a local shop selling HID kits for $39 bucks... cheaper than buying 2 decent h4 bulbs.

So needless to say, I now have HID lighting.

Here is a comparison picture. (That is actually a new Silverstar on the right...)

I have since aimed and pointed them down a bit for now, so they don't blind others until my new projector housings come in... :banana:

But I can say, the lighting is AMAZING.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Hid lighting on my cbr street bike there are great, I love when I get flashed, then I flash back showing them my high beams haha. Are you running a single beam or a dual beam? And Fyi those lights don't like cold weather very much thats the only problem Ive ever had with them.

@mike, looks awesome!

@jmderyke, Because it's an H4 coversion, it's not an "ideal" setup because the low/high is in one bulb. However the setup I have runs HID for low, and has a regular halogen filament for the high beams. So it does have low and high, but only an hid low.

not all, mine are low only & my H1's are my Brights

on the duel beam the hi is not H.I.D

the only problems i have had is stock wiring, i had to add a piggy back wire harness to support the ground W/ 14G wire

butt i live in LA CA so the coldest it gets is not under 30*F

looks sweet, whats kelvin is it? look like little more than 6000K to me. looks good

i don't mind to get one but its jeep and weekend warrior so high watt bright white should be good enough for my jeep

:cheers:

i still like your :clapping:

edit: BTW i don't know about that brand you got. if it fail then go get DDM tuning one for great quailty, cheap too. last longer than POS Ebay hids. :thumbsup:

hope those hids won't fail you tho.

Why go with HID?

* More light output, up to 3 times when compared to standard halogen bulbs!

* Wider road coverage, HID beam covers up to 70% more of the road in front of you!

* Long bulb life, HID bulbs last 5-10 years under normal usage!

* More efficient, more light while using 24% less power.

* Luxury look, you know you're guilty of this one, nothing beats that nice HID look on the road.

halogenhid_graph.jpg

Ha, yeah, I'm not expecting it to last forever, but it was only $39, direct H4 plug in, and from a local shop, so we will see.

It's 8000K... hopefully I won't get hassled :no:

haha just direct? what about ballast? yike 8000K is pretty high to me. too blueish which look like ricer wanna be :cry: but its look good on your jeep tho.

right on have u looked at the hid offroad lights i hear they are good. they are the ones from autozone for like $129.00 or so but worth every penny from what i hear.

do you means "so called" HID from autozone? I'm sure it still a halogen but more like xenon. i wouldnt buy it anyway.

The lighting is great. Better than stock by far, and I've never been a fan of gratuitous fog-lights, unless it's on a brush guard or roll bar, so, for without adding lights in new locations, it's awesome.

And yes, it is blue. I was torn between 6 and 8,000K and I let the guy talk me into it. Personally, I like it on the gunmetal color of the truck, but at times it is definitely at that limit of blue-ness...

What is HID Lumen?

Lumen is a unit of measuring the light output, brightness, of a source. Traditional low-beam halogen headlight produces 1000 – 1200 lumens, while HID outfitted headlight outputs around 3200 lumens.

4100k - 4300k is the ideal HID color temperature to produce the maximum amount of light, lumens, hence the reason while all OEM manufacturers equip their vehicles with these types of bulbs.

halogenvshid_drive.jpg

remember close to 5600K (i think) is best kelvin to have best visible at night. correct me if I'm wrong?

It's actually somewhere at about 4300K... So yes, by going to 8000K, I've lost some lumens. So if you want full potential go somewhere between 4 and 6.

Ok well I have autopal housings what HID kit should I get?

ddm tuning for sure!

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-H ... 35W-or-55W

edit: make sure don't order the raptor, they keep burnout faster than normal. which reason why its dirty cheap. I got mine one exactly link i gave to you, its great so far to me and good price.

after 2 years, still bright than some bmw and acura but lexus is still bright than me :oops:

What is the HID Color Temperature?

Color Temperature is a measurement in Degrees Kelvin that indicates the hue of a light source, in this case the HID bulb. People not familiar with lighting may believe that the higher the Kelvin the brighter the light will be, this is false. OEM car manufacturers equip their cars with 4100k to 4300k HID bulbs which produce the most daylight-like light output. Lower temperature like 3000k will produce deep gold-yellow color, suitable for fog lights. Higher color temperatures will output light with a hint of blue/purple like the 5000k - 6000k bulbs, higher rated bulbs will be bluer and eventually purple in color as you go up the scale.

Color temperature is what usually catches your eye when you spot an HID equipped car on the road. The Kelvin bulbs will appear "brighter"

to oncoming traffic, but in reality they output less visible light onto the road.

and what does everyone else run for housings?

i run IPF headlight housings (H4's) W/ H.I.D conversion's on both my MJ & my 90 XJ & they are great !

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=603

those look good how are they offroading?

great i bet which almost never need foglights to spread it out forward to front :yes:

YES they are awesome!

butt in the dezert you need more

with my H1's hella rallye 4000's with HID conversion 6000K white i can see 1/4 mile

I have also converted a set of H3's hella 500's with HID conversion 6000K white also very good offroad & much cheeper housing then the rallye 4000's

What is the HID Color Temperature?

Color Temperature is a measurement in Degrees Kelvin that indicates the hue of a light source, in this case the HID bulb. People not familiar with lighting may believe that the higher the Kelvin the brighter the light will be, this is false. OEM car manufacturers equip their cars with 4100k to 4300k HID bulbs which produce the most daylight-like light output. Lower temperature like 3000k will produce deep gold-yellow color, suitable for fog lights. Higher color temperatures will output light with a hint of blue/purple like the 5000k - 6000k bulbs, higher rated bulbs will be bluer and eventually purple in color as you go up the scale.

Color temperature is what usually catches your eye when you spot an HID equipped car on the road. The Kelvin bulbs will appear "brighter"

to oncoming traffic, but in reality they output less visible light onto the road.

yeah its happened to many people when they ask me about hids. one of them want one with 120k kelvin i was like LOL I'm still bright and enjoy the pink light. they just choked and drop the convo. later they now want 6000k haha