Rhino liner or new carpet?

I'm planning on tearing up my carpets soon to check to see how the floor pans are.

I've been thinking about rhino lining the floor instead of putting new carpet to make it easier to clean and stuff.

But the only problem I was thinking about would be that it would get really hot and I don't like burning my legs lol.

Just wanna get some peoples opinions.

I was going to do something like that but decided not to. The floor has isn't flat, so I thought that I wouldn't look to good. But it would make it alot easier to clean and you would be able to detect leaks before they rot out the floors.

I imagine it would be a bit loud(er) in the cab, without the sound deadening of the carpet. I pulled part of the interior out of my GF's Corolla to fit a bunch on MJ parts in the back seat, and it was pretty freaking loud on the highway.

And I am sorry to say, but an '07 Corolla will make a bit less road noise than a 20 year old truck.

I'd put carpet back in.

Rob L.

I ran around with out carpet during the summer for like 2 months. The noise was not all that bad but the heat was. I burned my leg every other day on that center part. Clean your carpet up nice, get some noise dampaning stuff from home deport and put it all back in. You will be much happier

Brandon

X2 on the heat factor... i rode from RI to PA in an xj with no carpets, and it seemed like every 10-15 minutes i had to hold my feet up off the floor for a little bit.... if it's a trail rig where there's a good chance the interior is gonna get mud and water in it, i'd leave the carpet out for ease of cleaning, but other than that i would leave it in.

i herculined the floor of my old samurai. i know herculiner is different then rhino but it stunk for weeks and was terribley loud. some floor mats should keep cleaning up fairly quick and keep the wearing areas under them fairly clean.

hmmm...never thought about the heat issue...

i was going to do herculiner. i already threw away my carpet and insulation. it was wet and full of ants and bits of rust from the rotted floor. oh well....if you decide to go with rhino or herculiner, you won't be alone...

just kinda kickin myself about the heat issue.....i live in FL :doh:

oh well...ill be movin to ohio soon enough

so...youve got heat, noise, and like boots said, the floor is far from being a flat surface. there are several grooves and creases, and one thing i thought about after getting rid of my carpet, my center console is going to have a pretty big gap between the bottom of the plastic and the tranny hump without the carpet and insulation there. i figured i would come up with something to fill the gap

When I restored my MJ I customized the floor so it's a flat surface. I used the duplicolor kevlar bed liner to finish it off. I stress this next statement MY MJ WAS BUILT WITH MUD AND TRAILS AS THE PRIORITY With that being said I installed a hole in the furthest forward and outbound corner of the pan to drain out water and mud when cleaning. ( I run as much as I can with my tube doors).

The heat is ridiculous during the summer time on the trails. The previous posts of your feet burning have been confirmed, LOL. I accept it because it is a given that I will get mud etc in the truck and it is so easy to hit the inside with a soapy brush and let it drain out.

If I were to use my MJ as a daily driver, doors on (cause we all know even with the windows down they have little to no draft inside), and the original floor with the reinforcement rail, there would be no questioning the installation of a sound dampening material and carpet.

The floor mat idea is a great thing. I have oversized heavy duty rubber mats in my 3500 Dodge and the original carpet is still spotless after 100,000 miles (and yes it has seen it's generous share of mud and work)

Hope this helps

I ran around with out carpet during the summer for like 2 months. The noise was not all that bad but the heat was. I burned my leg every other day on that center part. Clean your carpet up nice, get some noise dampaning stuff from home deport and put it all back in. You will be much happier

Brandon

Don't take this the wrong way but - you need to attend a night class on basic grammar and spelling. There are usually classes for non-native english speakers to help them learn engine properly. In this day and age, with the amount of competition in the world, you need to learn how to write and spell properly. Again, just trying to help. Some of your posts I almost don't even understand. I hope you take my advice and begin this week (don't use spell check until you can start spelling and structuring sentences properly on your own). :waving:

I tore out the carpet (actualy it was black vinyl floor) about ten years ago and bedlined the entire floor and it came out great . I used it as my DD for about 6 years after that and wile it does get a fair bit warmer than normal it was never hot enuf to burn myself and it never really mattered unless it was in the high 70s or 80s out side and you were in stop and go traffic , besides I got used to it . It does get alot louder than normal so between that , the extremely loud exhaust , the howl of the swampers (which is now a loud huming/whine from the bias baja claws) the buzing noise ringing through the tin can i call the cab from the electric fuel pump thats now mounted under the drivers floor pan and no headliner , you basically have to yell at the person next to you if you have the window down and I wouldn't have it any other way ! jamminz.gif ! . All my friends think I nuts for having driven it like that for so long but to me that's pure bliss .

I say fix the rust , bedline it and rock it for a bit wile you make up your mind , atleast long enuf to let it cure and fully offgas cause it will get you high as a kite for like a month after it's done :chillin: .

I will be pulling my carpet and rhino lining. I'm ok with a little extra heat. I have a buddy who's a mechanic and he said we could take it down to the shop and power spray the bottom. Then we'll get a layer of undercoating on whatever we can. I'm hoping that will help with the heat. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

I'll be swapping bench seat for buckets and I'll be doing the undercoating under the seats as well.

I'll be donating the carpet to anyone who wants it, especially if someone wants to pay for shipping.

Brandon

Don't take this the wrong way but - you need to attend a night class on basic grammar and spelling. There are usually classes for non-native english speakers to help them learn engine properly. In this day and age, with the amount of competition in the world, you need to learn how to write and spell properly. Again, just trying to help. Some of your posts I almost don't even understand. I hope you take my advice and begin this week (don't use spell check until you can start spelling and structuring sentences properly on your own). :waving:

You misspelled english..... :shake: :shake: Why do you feel the need to be a d0uche... His grammer and spelling are not that bad... Why don't you read your post to yourself... :thwak:

Brandon

You misspelled english..... :shake: :shake: Why do you feel the need to be a d0uche... His grammer and spelling are not that bad... Why don't you read your post to yourself... :thwak:

You realize that misspelling was intentional...making my causal connection...you might want to heed my advice too :wavey:

Sorry for trying to point a developing mind in the right direction...? Your definition of "not that bad" means room for much improvement. Lets not get off topic now.

Carpet is a good option. I have the rockauto.com carpet kit. Originally I had the factory rubber mat and I can tell you the carpet is much cozier.

I wasn't saying sorry to 91comanche. I was speaking to everybody else. You know for a fact (91comanche) that you didn't mispell that on purpose. You just caught looking like a fool. I don't see why you would feel the need to say something like that to a nice younger member that is liked by many. I have had no trouble reading any of his posts and I'm willing to bet that most people here feel the same way.

I used a rubber truck bed mat under my carpet. It has the bumps on the bottom so dry air should make its way underneath and it really helped quiet my cab. I bought a new mat for a F350 long bed for $50. Had enough left to make floor liners with raised edges for my MJ and XJ (front and rear). Still have some pieces left. Its good thick stuff with cords in it. Nice and durable.