Trying to figure out what to do??

The title says it all my motor blew up yesterday, the #6 piston ended up in my driveway, or at least part of it did with parts from the block and connecting rod. Still trying to figure what I am going to do with the Jeep, motor is done. I am trying to figure out how much to spend if anything on fixing it.

Not to hard to do. What will you get if you sell what parts you can and scrap the rest? What will a replacement engine cost? Will you do the labor or pay to have it done? What will it be worth if you fix it? If you decide to fix, then look for a wrecked donor. The motor will still be in it so you can hear run. Sell what you don't need. Around here I can buy a complete wrecked Jeep for what the JY want for just a motor.

Depends on the shape of the rest of the jeep, unless it is a complete rust bucket I'd put in a new/rebuilt/used engine. They don't cost a whole lot for our jeeps and swapping motors isnt all that difficult.

Good opportunity to build a stroker?

Fix it. Find a replacement motor and install it. Shouldn't cost you more than a couple hundred bucks total. You ought to be able to rent a hoist if needed. Also, pick up an engine leveler to make the swap faster. Should only require basic hand tools to do it.

RE: all the above

They aren't building MJs anymore, keep the dream alive, fix it.

i agree. unless it's going to be incredibly out of your budget, i'd fix it. replacing a motor yourself isn't that horrible a job and you can usually find one cheap. if you are going to ditch it, try and find a jeeper to buy it rather than just someone wanting a truck to beat up. keep mj's going.

It;s difficult to find a used pickup that even runs for under $5,000. How much do you have in your MJ,a nd how much will a junkyard 4.0L cost? Then factor in that insurance is possibly cheaper on a 20-year old truck, and taxes are certainly less than on a new truck.

I'd fix it. Good excuse to go for the whole drive train from a donor and convert to 4WD.