Fixed some things...now click, click, click

I removed my gauge cluster to fix the speedo on my 88 MJ, fixed the speedo, removed a CB antenna adapter and plugged the regular antenna into the regular AM/FM cassette. Added some small burned out bulbs (backlighting) for the HVAC panel, removed the cig. lighter to get at the radio, reinstalled the radio, clock, cig lighter (BTW, cig lighter works fine).

I started the MJ a couple of times to try out the radio, started fine, radio still no work, lights up, but no display or sound. Like I said, it started fine.

After reinstalling everything I went to start it to see how speedo repair went...and got all the lights dimming and click, click, click from the starter, then nothing. I swore bitterly.

I threw the battery on a charger, cleaned up all the terminal connections, the ground from block to firewall is NEW 4 ga wire, not a strap. On the charger at 10A for ~~4-5 hours, get in, all lights light up, buzzer, everything on. Click, click, click.

Checked connection at starter, tight, dipstick ground, clean and tight. Gave the starter a tap or two, put the charger on 50A. Click, click, click, then nothing, no lights, nada!!!

WTF'nF :huh???:

Sounds like a bad connection at the battery

The battery posts have been emery'd, they are shiny, the posts and the stud connectors, shiny, and tight. The cables are "almost" new.

The ground at the dipstick is likewise, and block to firewall. EVERYTHING is shiny and bolted down tight. That's what my quandry is. It all SEEMS like it's ready to roll but all I get is click, click, click.

So, can the click, click, click be a starter problem that just coincedentally raised it's ugly head or would it be:

1. Starter relay? The thing with all the wires/fusible links at the relay center.

2. Shorted gauge cluster?

3. Ignition switch, that also went coincedentally bad?

4. Leprechauns?

It is not a fuel problem as I can't even get past the click, click, click!!!

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi...you're my only hope!!

I'd try testing with a known good battery, or heavy guage jumper cables from another vehicle/battery and see if you get any starter movement. If voltage is good at the terminals and connections are good, try the starter.

Are you hearing just one click each time the key is turned to the start position? Or are you hearing multiple rapid clicks as your post implies? If it is just one click your starter solenoid has a problem. If it is multiple clicks then you are not getting sufficient current flow to the starter solenoid. The Starter Relay and Ignition switch are not your problems. You are getting power to the starter solenoid (that is the click noise) which means that the starter relay is turning on and sending power to the solenoid, and your ignition switch is making a complete circuit to the relay because if it wasn't the relay would not be functioning and sending power to your solenoid. The gauge cluster has nothing to do with the starting system on a truck this old.

Well, it's both.

I get rapid clicks, low current. BUT everything is hooked up right. I'm showing 13VDC at battery posts with charger attached @ 10A, 14.5VDC at charger connections with charger on 50A, 12.5 VDC just the battery, not hooked to anything.

Alternately, I get a single click...and then I have no lights, acc, or buzzer. Like it has to re-set itself before it will click again...either click, click click or CLICK; then nothing.

Headlights always dim till almost off every time, no matter the number of clicks. After the big CLICK I got no power to nuthin'. After the click, click, click all the interior lights AND the headlights are super dim, but lit.

the negative terminal is notorious for being over tightened and some how losing its ground/connectivity :thumbsup:

Really? First I've heard of that notorious fault. So how does the neg terminal somehow lose its ground/connectivity by being over tightened? Are there torque specs for this?

I had that issue on mine one time after I changed a battery. All I did was pull out the starter, bench test it, pull out the battery, test it at the Advance that I work at, and then put it all back together cuz everything tested good. I'm assuming it was a bad connection somewhere.

Have you tried jumping the solenoid on your starter?

the negative terminal is notorious for being over tightened and some how losing its ground/connectivity :thumbsup:

Really? First I've heard of that notorious fault. So how does the neg terminal somehow lose its ground/connectivity by being over tightened? Are there torque specs for this?

has happened to me with 3 diff neg terminals :thumbsup:

and i have seen this issue with other jeeps on the local bcjeepclub forum ;)

not to sure how it does it, but it does, thats why the "some how" comes into play

I haven't ever heard of a "too tight" connection, too clean, or too grounded.

So I went thru every connection, I removed the battery to starter cable at both ends. The center part of the cable was so corroded it just about fell apart in my hands. I knew the ground cable was brand new...I just didn't replace the positive cable...so the 22 year old cable was the culprit. Problem solved.

Thanks for all your input.

1. Starter relay? The thing with all the wires/fusible links at the relay center.

2. Shorted gauge cluster?

3. Ignition switch, that also went coincedentally bad?

4. Leprechauns?!

i was gonna say #4. Leprechauns for sure but it seems you've solved it

..its not that easy for me...i swear I'm gonna set a trap for those buggers :fs2: