231/242 transfer case

Since I am in a typing mood..........

I am unclear about something with transfer case mode of operation. We now have at the house: 88MJ w/231, 88MJ w/231, 92XJ w/242, 95XJ w/231 and 02WJ w/Selec-Trac.

On the 231 you have 2WD and 4WD. Pretty simple. Don't use the 4WD on dry hard surface for long periods.

On the 242 you have 2WD, Part Time 4WD and Full Time 4WD. Is the Full Time 4WD mode the same as on a 231 and the Part Time 4WD for differing conditions (dry pavement, wet/snow/ice covered, dry again)?

Or do I have the modes backwards? I ask because the 02WJ (I'm relatively sure that it is using a 242 TC) at the house says to use Part Time 4WD for snow/ice/mud and to use the Full Time 4WD for differing road conditions that include dry surface.

I'm just a little confused with nomenclature that seems backwards to me.

Full time 4wd means that it can be used in all conditions, including dry pavement without risk of damaging any driveline components, part time 4wd means it should only be used in loose conditions like dirt or snow and ice. Part time locks the T/C front and rear and has no give for variations in wheel speed front to rear and could cause binding or damage to parts on dry pavement, the full time mode includes a differential unit in the transfer case to allow for wheel speed variations front and rear and won't cause any damage to parts. Hope that helps

4 low on either t-case locks the front and rear driveshafts together and should only be used on loose/slippery stuff.

yes, the 231 is technically stronger, but not by much and both t-cases are perfectly good to use in most little Jeeps. :thumbsup:

4 low on either t-case locks the front and rear driveshafts together and should only be used on loose/slippery stuff.

yes, the 231 is technically stronger, but not by much and both t-cases are perfectly good to use in most little Jeeps. :thumbsup:

well myself is 4x4 guy like atv, subaru, offroad so i would like to use 4x4 on my jeep on road while its rain/snow/ice, etc.

should i get np242 for those reasons?

remember ill take my mj offroad so np242 should be good enough to use offroad?

edit: if yes then ill plan to get np242 for ax 15 when I'm planning to swap transmission. :yes:

The 231 is barely stronger then the 242.

The difference is you can build the 231 to be much stronger and you can get a much better crawl ratio out of it.

For most people either case is gonna work fine,if you were building a dedicated offroad rig I would go with the 231.

Full time 4wd means that it can be used in all conditions, including dry pavement without risk of damaging any driveline components, part time 4wd means it should only be used in loose conditions like dirt or snow and ice. Part time locks the T/C front and rear and has no give for variations in wheel speed front to rear and could cause binding or damage to parts on dry pavement, the full time mode includes a differential unit in the transfer case to allow for wheel speed variations front and rear and won't cause any damage to parts. Hope that helps

Thanks!!! That explains what I was confused about.

12, don't worry about the hijack. You got an answer to a question I was going to ask at a later date. When we get this 88 straightened out, I would like to put a 242 into it to go with the AX-15 it already has.

The difference is you can build the 231 to be much stronger and you can get a much better crawl ratio out of it.

You can build a 242 to be stronger than any 231 ever dreamed of being. What transfer case do you think is used in the military HUMVEE? (Hint -- it has the numbers 2, 4 and 2 in it.)

You can build a 242 to be stronger than any 231 ever dreamed of being. What transfer case do you think is used in the military HUMVEE? (Hint -- it has the numbers 2, 4 and 2 in it.)

Then why is it that you can order just about anything you can dream up for the 231 but there is almost nothing available for the 242? If you can make it so much stronger where do you get the parts and why does nobody build them?

Then why is it that you can order just about anything you can dream up for the 231 but there is almost nothing available for the 242? If you can make it so much stronger where do you get the parts and why does nobody build them?

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/NP242.html

http://flashoffroad.com/features/Tcase/ ... /tcase.htm

http://www.ilovejeeps.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141

Max torque rating

1486lbs 242 std

2028lbs 242hd

2340lbs 242amg/hummer

1885lbs 231std

1940lbs 231hd

5555lbs 241

Most aftermarket 231s seem to be using 241 guts in a 231 case,I couldn't find a rating but I'm sure its much higher then the hummer 242 since every part used in the conversion is bigger then the hummer 242.

Also you can go 4.1:1 with the 231,I didn't see anything other then 2.72:1 for the 242