33" on stock XJ?????

Joop

Perhaps a stupid question... but is there any chance that a set of 33/12,5 - 15 will fit on a stock/no-lift xj without any fender cutting? Rubbing at full flex or steer is not an issue.

Me and my brother and his GF has been looking forward to a snow-wheeling event this weekend for a long time, but since none of my MJ's are driveable we focused our energy on his suzuki sj413 (installed rear locker, 31"s, rollbar etc) Now he just called me to tell his clutch was toast and he could not get it fixed :( But our father might let us borrow his XJ, and i happend to have a set of 33" and a set of 30" on jeep rims (both good winter tires) that we could swap in just for the weekend. I ran my mj on thoose 33" without lift for a few years, rubbed like :fs1: but low COG and great floatation on the snow sort of made up for that. With the smaller rear fender of the XJ is there any chance they would fit or should we just use the 30" and stay in the trails and out of the fresh powder snow?

they will rub and if you don't have the plastic wheel liners it will probly cut the tires. 2" aal and my brand new 31's got some unintentional sipping lol 33's would be huge and probly work an auto tranny with stock gears pretty hard playing in the snow. put the 30's on and air down to 8-9 psi, that will give you a nice foot print. keep in mind that your air is low and don't be speed racer as you might pop a bead

your lucky if those 30s do not rub on an xj nowadays due to vehicle settleing (?)

They are from the same 1990 XJ my engine came from, best winter tires the PO ever had he said, didnt say anything about rubbing actually he called me a few weeks later and wantet to buy back the tires.. It sounds like it will be 30"'s then. Just had to ask the more experienced crowd. Wish us luck I don't want to scratch up my dads DD, It would be a :doh: moment...

take a shovel, food,water, emergency blanket, and dry set of clothes. I'm have a bad habbit of goin out by myself and got stuck 2 years ago. long story short i dug out the first time bare handed and kicking for 5 hrs, was soaking wet, got free decided to celebrate with another beer, within a 45 mins was stuck again, this time only tried diggin for 10 mins, then walked out 6 miles soaking wet til i got cell reception. had to use 2 hands to hold my phone up i was so exhausted and cold. since that day i now carry an emergency bag stuffed with food.clothers, come-along, military shovel, straps, fire log etc. a fun time can turn to miserable real quick (also i went a 5am by the time i got unstuck it was warming up to 33 degrees in 3 ft of snow, i don't go in warm weather now)

33s with with ~2.5" of lift.

Front fender has major trimming, and the inner fender was opened up front and back. Rear was typical cut/fold and still rubs wheeling, but I'm going to be opening up the rear after I move.

33's on RE 3.5" lift with no trimming in the rear and very minimal in the front;

think you should re-read the fist post and not try advertising. specifys no lift or trimming :doh:

i think he is simply showing what you need minimum to clear 33s :dunno: same as what Darren did....

think you should re-read the fist post and not try advertising. specifys no lift or trimming :doh:

OP asked about what it would take to fit a set of 33's with NO TRIMMING. Somone prior said that 33's with 3.5" of lift required major trimming. We were simply showing that it could be done with minimal trimming (no fender cutting) at 3.5" of lift to fit a set of 33's.

OP asked about what it would take to fit a set of 33's with NO TRIMMING. Somone prior said that 33's with 3.5" of lift required major trimming. We were simply showing that it could be done with minimal trimming (no fender cutting) at 3.5" of lift to fit a set of 33's.

OP didnt ask what it would take, he asked if it was possibe to fit 33s with no lift or trimming.

33's on RE 3.5" lift with no trimming in the rear and very minimal in the front;

i think he is simply showing what you need minimum to clear 33s :dunno: same as what Darren did....

:agree:

Bigger isnt always better!

We went with the 30"s and where able to drive almost anywhere, as long as someone had driven there before us. Traction was never a problem, but floatation was. There was this long steep hill that many of the harcore buggys couldn get up, we crawled up with 4people in the xj and heater on full just laughing and pointing at them spinning their tires, throwing snow all over themself and freezing their @sses of :clapping:

The Jeep is now back home to its rightfull owner without as much as a scratch on it. And we never really abused it, just used it like its supposed to.