Letter to Jeep

Automan2164

Well, looks like Allpar.com will run the letter you guys helped me with in its entirety or in parts. My "guy on the inside" is really pulling for us. I moved the thread with the rough draft and stuff to the shadows for now. Here's what we ended with:

site_logo.gif

To all Jeep enthusiasts left inside Jeep,

My name is Rob L., and I am a moderator for the Jeep Comanche Club (http://www.ComancheClub.com). We are a club some 4000+ members strong, all dedicated and devoted to the love and passion that goes with the last Jeep pickup produced to date. We have members in all corners of the states, including Hawaii and Alaska. We have international members from Australia, Germany, England, Canada, New Zealand, Switzerland, Venezuela, and all far reaches of the earth. We have members who have just one Comanche at a time, and we have members who have 15+. We have original owners, we have people who weren’t even born during Comanche production finding their way to these little trucks. We even have a member chasing the original Land Speed Record set by Jeep in the Comanche in ‘87... But this is beside the point.

I, like many members of the Comanche Club, am a Jeep fanatic. In my modest lifetime I have owned many Jeeps, and have been an avid Jeep fan. I have owned: ‘86, ‘87(2), ‘88, ‘89(2), ‘90, ‘91(2), and ‘92(2) Jeep Comanches, a ‘91 Jeep Cherokee, an ‘83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler, and finally, my ‘98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have had Eliminators, Pioneers, Limiteds, Laredos, Base models, and everything in between. I currently own an ‘87 Jeep Comanche Metric Ton, a ‘92 Jeep Comanche Eliminator, and the ‘98 Grand Cherokee Limited. I represent the habits of many members of the club, and like them, I have numerous amounts of flags, books, posters, manuals, promotional items, and all cool things Jeep.

I am looking for someone left in Jeep who is as passionate as we are, with great pride in Jeep to help us find out more about the history and the details long forgotten, or even a point in the right direction.

I have contacted Jeep through various channels, all in the search of info, but always end up empty handed. I have spoken to people never to be contacted again. Even with the very generous help from someone at Chrysler asking around from the inside, I am still without anyone who is willing to lend a hand at a level we would hope for from a fellow Jeeper, and need, in order to keep the history and passion for the Comanche alive.

We at the Comanche Club, have been in search for any info we can get in regards to the Comanche. There are lots of facts and figured floating around the internet, but none of them are confirmed. Hard facts are lacking for such basic questions as; When did the first one roll off the line? What was the VIN? When did the last one roll off the line? What was its VIN? How many Eliminators were made? How many Comanches in total were made? Was there ever a shortbed ‘86 Comanche?

We have so many production and options questions that we would love to know the answer to. Other lost info about the Thunderchief concept still lurking in your archives, the origin of the “Street Comanche“, or the land speed record attempts would be great.

Unlike many fan-emails you might receive about products long gone, we are not asking you to make a new Comanche, nor are we asking for you to come out with a new Jeep truck. All things we are seeking are things you already have. Help keep the pride and ownership in Jeep around.

We are appreciative of anything you can do to assist us in our quest for history.

Sincerely,

Rob L.

Hopefully, with the attention from allpar.com, we will not only reach Chrysler Execs, but anyone who might have worked for Chrysler/Jeep and could have info to help us.

I'll post the link up in here as soon as it hits.

Rob L. :cheers:

I was just thinking. Technically speaking, the second sentence, "...all dedicated and devoted to the love and passion that goes with the last Jeep pickup produced to date..." isn't accurate if we consider the J8. It's a pickup, it's a Jeep, and it was produced on some scale even if it was for military use and was exported. Perhaps the first sentence should read the last consumer Jeep pickup produced?

If the letter has already been sent, then, oh well :D

• 1 month later...
Was there ever a shortbed ‘86 Comanche?

This is a totally stupid question. We all know that there were no shortbed 1986 Comanches.

On the contrary my friend. I'm a bit insulted. You shouldn't doubt me like that. It is rumored that there were some late availability shorties, even if it was only a handful of test models that snuck out.

I personally, would like to know if that story holds water.

Rob L.

I found a Comanche in a JY about 12 years ago. It had a 2.8 and was a short bed. I looked at the door and could barely make out a 8/86. I do not know it if was a factory truck or if someone had a 86 they totaled and swaped everything into a 87 truck, including the doors. The bed was a different color than the rest of the truck.

Or they could have shortened the frame to fit a SWB bed.

On that note, I was also not that into MJs at the time and just passed on by it.

Was there ever a shortbed ‘86 Comanche?

This is a totally stupid question. We all know that there were no shortbed 1986 Comanches.

Never say never before Chrysler screwed Jeep up... AMC would sell anything they thought they could.

I found a Comanche in a JY about 12 years ago. It had a 2.8 and was a short bed. I looked at the door and could barely make out a 8/86. I do not know it if was a factory truck or if someone had a 86 they totaled and swaped everything into a 87 truck, including the doors. The bed was a different color than the rest of the truck.

On that note, I was also not that into MJs at the time and just passed on by it.

My 87 was built in August 86. It currently resides less than 20 miles from where it was sold new.

My 87 was built in August 86. It currently resides less than 20 miles from where it was sold new.

Does yours have a V6? This one did.

Does yours have a V6? This one did.

No, it has the craptastic 2.5. Still, it was manufactured in 8/86 as the one described above and is an 87MY truck #001663 (if it matters any). It has the 86-style COMANCHE lettering on the fenders, too.

Perhaps late 86MY short beds were sold as 87s?