D44 E-brake cable Question

Finishing up the D44 install and have an e-brake cable question. On the D35, there were a couple of metal tabs on the top axle tube that secured the e-brake cables before they hooked up to the wheels. The D44 has none. Do I just have an oddball or D44 axles did not have this feature?

This has not been an easy swap. Besides the bent axle, I had to get a new "thick gear" R&P because I thought the the Trac-Loc carrier I had was for ratios 3.92 and up. It wasn't. The Teraflex disk brake caliper brackets I was planning on swapping over wouldn't work either because the axle flange size was different and they wouldn't bolt up. This is costing a lot more than I expected. :fs1: What else is new?

Nothing ever goes as planned does it? Today while I was in the middle of taking my flywheel off my camaro I threwup..... On my only day off and there's no snow in the ground :fs1: got the stomach virus today WTF!

I'll check my d44 in the morning if you'd like?

My D44 backing plates had huge holes that the E-brake cable ends didn't even come close to locking in to.

I thought it was because I was using D35 cables,

but the D44's old cable ends (that the salvage yard torched off) also fit loosely.

I got a couple stainless washers that were bigger than the hole, but small enough to lock in the cable end.

I'd like to tell you how great it works, but the axle is still on my bench.

What gear ratio did you go with?

If you went with 4.10's, you know factory TJ Rubicon gears were thick 4.10's, to fit the 3 series carrier.

(= thick 4.10 take off Rubi gears are usually cheaper than new thick 4.10's)

I'm using the Teraflex disk brake backing plate/caliper bracket, and the entrance hole for the stock MJ e-brake cables is a perfect fit (mimics the Ford 8.8 8). But the axle tube tabs on the old D35 that secured the cables from rubbing on the shocks are not there on my D44. I can fab something up, but was just curious if the D44 had these tabs or not. The backing plates from the D44 were perfect, not using them, and I have them listed on Fleabay. :cheers:

And Jim, went with the 4.09 ratio (45/11 Yukon R&P).

91/92 MJ's were the first to use the ebrake cable tabs on the axles. You won't find it on earlier axles. You probably already have a solution in progress, but as an option the earlier MJ's 86/87 and early 88's had a small hoop that mounts inside the frame rail near the front of the rear leaf. (It mounts in a small slot and bolt hole on the frame). I have these for my truck in addition to the small cable straps you probably have just behind the bed mounted ebrake connector bracket.

If you look in your 87-90 parts pdf you will find it on pg 81. It's #21, part# 52003547. There's a couple older MJ's at pick n pull yards locally if you're interested I can grab you some. Not sure how soon, but with in the next week.

Thanks guys. What G says makes sense as Joe's truck is a 91 and my axel is an 89. Just one more good thing in favor of the HOs. I'll get under there and take a look, especially where G said the mounting holes are on for the cable keepers on the frame. If these will work G I'll send you an email backchannel.

Thanks guys. What G says makes sense as Joe's truck is a 91 and my axel is an 89. Just one more good thing in favor of the HOs. I'll get under there and take a look, especially where G said the mounting holes are on for the cable keepers on the frame. If these will work G I'll send you an email backchannel.

Don,

Confirmed there is tabs and hardware mounted on the axle tubes, I can shoot a pic later. I am keeping an eye out on your auction as well! :cheers:

Finishing up the D44 install and have an e-brake cable question. On the D35, there were a couple of metal tabs on the top axle tube that secured the e-brake cables before they hooked up to the wheels. The D44 has none. Do I just have an oddball or D44 axles did not have this feature?

I have not even one time seen nor heard of any metal tabs that secured the e-brake cables to the axle. in all 27 comanches I've had, plus 11 or 12 cherokees, not one, regardless of axle, has had a retainer holding the e-brake cable to the axle as you describe. there is a metal spring running from the cable up to the body, however. the only metal tab on the axle that I can imagine is the one holding the hard brake line down on the passenger side tube. Do you have a picture of what you're describing?

This has not been an easy swap. Besides the bent axle, I had to get a new "thick gear" R&P because I thought the the Trac-Loc carrier I had was for ratios 3.92 and up. It wasn't. The Teraflex disk brake caliper brackets I was planning on swapping over wouldn't work either because the axle flange size was different and they wouldn't bolt up. This is costing a lot more than I expected. :fs1: What else is new?

so far as caliper brackets go, I would modify the brackets as necessary. people do it with ZJ disc backing plates/caliper brackets all the time, with no ill effects.

-Pat

no tabs on the '44 I put under mine Don (it's a stock MJ D44). I used two industrial size (like 1/2" wide) zipties to keep my cables in check. Jeff

That's what I ended up doing Jeff. Tied them down on the axle in about the same spots as the tabs were on the 35. Noticed a couple of drops on the floor this morning under the diff. Looks like the pinion seal is leaking...........AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGG. :headpop:

no tabs on the '44 I put under mine Don (it's a stock MJ D44). I used two industrial size (like 1/2" wide) zipties to keep my cables in check. Jeff

That's what I ended up doing Jeff. Tied them down on the axle in about the same spots as the tabs were on the 35. Noticed a couple of drops on the floor this morning under the diff. Looks like the pinion seal is leaking...........AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGG. :headpop:

Don,

You are having the same luck as I did with my Dana 44, like I have said if I had to do it over again I would have gone with an 8.8 and whwwl spacers and call it a day. :ack: