my '88 freebie

thanks!

and yeah, it is just the floor. all I'm worried about is getting it all sealed up really. and the fact that i can support all of my weight on one of any of the patches is a good sign. i no longer have my carpet...I'm still thinking herculiner. probably gray to cut down on heat and to match the interior. but whether i do that or get a new carpet, the floor and my bad welds will be covered up :cheers:

..i don't see how my engine bay is too clean though... :dunno:

theres still some areas with about a centimeter thick of grease, grime, and oil still on it that i didnt want to hose down

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks!

and yeah, it is just the floor. all I'm worried about is getting it all sealed up really. and the fact that i can support all of my weight on one of any of the patches is a good sign. i no longer have my carpet...I'm still thinking herculiner. probably gray to cut down on heat and to match the interior. but whether i do that or get a new carpet, the floor and my bad welds will be covered up :cheers:

..i don't see how my engine bay is too clean though... :dunno:

theres still some areas with about a centimeter thick of grease, grime, and oil still on it that i didnt want to hose down

Alright, alright... your valve cover is too clean :yes:

I know what you mean about the launch. Just last week I saw something on TV about this next launch is going to be the last shuttle launch and was like :fs1: You don't know what you have till its gone :(

Great work on your floors tho, I just patched mine and put roofing tar on the bottom to seal it u :fool:

Brandon

yeah, its a shame

though i won't miss the traffic. itll take you 3 hours to get 2 miles after a launch here in titusville. how well can you see it from where you are? I'm probably 4 miles from the river and the river is 8 miles across. i live right off of highway 50 so if you take 50 straight to the river and look directly across, youll see the VAB and the launch pads...

yeah, its a shame

though i won't miss the traffic. itll take you 3 hours to get 2 miles after a launch here in titusville. how well can you see it from where you are? I'm probably 4 miles from the river and the river is 8 miles across. i live right off of highway 50 so if you take 50 straight to the river and look directly across, youll see the VAB and the launch pads...

WOW that sounds nice, not the traffic but the view. Ive always wanted to see a launch that close but don't think its gonna happen. I can see it amazingly great for how far away it is. My favorite launch was one I saw a few years back on a clear night, man it seemed like I was right next to it. Maybe April 19 I can come up there and see the next one with ya :cheers:

Brandon

did a lil somethin today to the jeep i didnt think i would end up doing. i got rid of the "KTOC" sticker on the back window. (those were initials)

oh and an edit to any post where i mentioned i got this MJ from my girlfriends dad, make it ex-girldriends dad :(

...so any concern about the 4 banger, 4spd, 4x2 not making it through the snow doesnt matter anymore. i will not be moving to ohio..

(not that i was worried at all about getting stuck)

i learned my lesson from getting a rig to fix up and not registering it in my name. long story short, did a motor swap, lowered it, had it maybe 2 wires away from it runiing on its own. buddy called to have some cars scraped, tow truck took wrong car and crushed it. yup my car. it wasnt in my name so i couldnt sue them, eventually got a impounded car from them as a "trade" but it wasnt my car that i had many hrs put into. i now register all my rigs as soon as i get them

damn that really sucks :fs1:

i meant not registered as in no tags...and saying that about all the alcohol in the post lol image_209027.gifimage_209027.gifimage_209027.gif

but you prove a good point and even though i have the title, its not in my name yet...

• 3 weeks later...

Alright so i finally dropped my fuel lines and started cutting out some cancer on the driver side. not much to say about it...just some pics that speak for themselves

actually i didnt even cut anything out yet. just a lil bit of grinding then prying and breaking off the bigger pieces of rotted out metal. i must say, I'm anxious to finish the floor just so i can hook up the fuel lines again just to hear it run. its killin me to have it sittin there and i can't even crank 'er up

..as always, more to come

problem is I'm gonna need like four hundred bucks for new tags. i figure ill finish the floor, reconnect the fuel lines and do a good brake job, then get it registered and drive it to work and such as I'm getting other stuff done on it.

as far as the floor goes, i wasnt expecting the top part of the frame rail to be as rotted out as it was. its gone now as you can see from the pics. the frame rail itself is clean enough to eat off of and definitely has its structural integrity, but that top peice that goes over the floorpan is gone. only in the front, though. i honestly don't think this truck is going to spend much time on the road. maybe for a year or two if that. that top peice has to be a high-strength steel rather than mild but does anyone think it would be suicidal (safety-wise as far as the vehicles structural integrity) for me to just weld in some mild steel to make an actual 'floor' and maybe a double layer or something over the frame rail? i know it will look odd, but I'm going to do the floor in herculiner and someday convert to 4x4 (probably)

obviously it will not hold up to factory specs, but i don't think that one-foot section will make that much of a difference. itll be a sturdy floor and quite honestly, i think i would be f****d either way if I were to get T-boned in this thing

From all the builds Ive seen on here where people are fixing the floor, they are all the same. The top cover of the frame, IS the floorpan. Cut out your new section, draw some lines on it from underneath outlining the frame rails, then drill a bunch of holes for spot welds to weld the new floor metal to the top edge of the frame rails. It will be perfectly safe to drive for a long time to come. If you still are anxious about it, buy a frame rail stiffener kit from any number of retailers for XJ off road parts and reinforce the outsides of the frame as well. That way you save the truck, and its stronger to boot!

sounds simple enough :cheers:

i know the floorpan went flat across the top of the frame rail...that part was GONE when i started tearing apart. it was literally like a gum wrapper. i was mainly focused on the raised part that goes over the frame rail. it could just be that i was dealing with such weak metal all day due to the cancer so that peice only FELT like a higher strength steel.

idk what to do yet...at least as far as the frame rail goes. ill need a flat piece covering everything regardless so ill start with that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

got LOTS of pics for ya guys with this one. i got a lot of work done today. i would have finished the entire floor but i ran out of MIG wire and with about a dollar left in my accound, i figured id wait til tomorrow (payday) to get some more. so i hooked up all the fuel lines and got to take 'er for a spin after all the hard work comanche.gif

first off, let me show you where I'm getting my sheet metal from :brows: ...havent spent a dime on metal yet. here's my buddys sentra se-r that we flipped a few months ago. my friend isnt quite the driver he thought he was :shake: but it was quite a fun experience jamminz.gif

anyways, i would have taken some metal from the roof or floor, but its at a storage unit and i didnt have access to an air compressor, so i took a fender that was toast. i started cutting it up and actually got more sheet metal from it than i thought i would

...sure, it may be a lot of work to cut up the fender into useable pieces and flatten it all out and get rid of the body lines, but its free metal! :banana: and since i was in that car when we rolled it, ive got a story to go along with my new floor :yes:

buttttt anyways, here's before the first patch was made today

of course the side of the tranny hump has all these different angles and bends, so on the right side of the frame rail, i had to make about 5 different patches. but it actually turned out pretty good in the end

that big flat patch in the pics of me cutting up the fender was for this next one on the left side of the frame rail

..tacked in..

..and i almost finished welding in this top piece under the pedals but i ran out of MIG wire. its pretty close though.

thats it for today, hopefully ill make some more progress tomorrow or within the next week

It's not the driver so much as the car. I had an SE-R Spec-V... the damn thing makes you stupid. I went through 3 wheels, 2 control arms, 1 fender, and a power steering rack in about a year of ownership. Not to mention spinning the POS out at a buck-twenty. Then at 60,000 the motor ate the pre-cat and scored the cylinder walls and had to be replaced. That car was bad juju... err sumthin...

oh wow you definitely had some bad luck with yours...what year was it? his was an '03

...and well, he was still a bit over-confident. his had semi-fresh tires up front but old ones in the back on a bone stock spec-v and we were taking a sharp 90 degree turn at 65+ :fool: :thwak: :doh: :shake: :nuts: :wall: :no: (thats my guestimated speed from the passenger seat) i had just finished a text and only had a split second to calculate and think before i decided to grab the "oh $#!&" handle and ride it out because i knew we were gonna lose it....especially when i felt the back end come loose. but when i saw that huge ditch, i knew we would be upside down at one point lol

still a very fun experience and thanks to seatbelts, i managed to crawl out of the windshield with nothing but a bruise on my shoulder :thumbsup:

Yeah, mine was the same gen, (2002) It was fastest when it had the fresh motor, NISMO CAI, and the fully functioning 6-speed, (after a warranty tranny rebuild @ 20K) and with a fresh set of Yokohama's it built just enough confidence to bring you to the limit, then spit you out. And yes, for a FWD, those cars liked to whip the rear out... and they didn't always have the ability to pull you out, as expected, even with the power to the front wheels.

Glad you guys were OK.

well sorry for your luck with yours

and yes, were quite glad as well...same with our parents haha

though even today, its still funny how many times he apologized. i couldnt help but laugh. i know i had a good time doin it

well sorry for your luck with yours

and yes, were quite glad as well...same with our parents haha

though even today, its still funny how many times he apologized. i couldnt help but laugh. i know i had a good time doin it

Yeah, I was apologizing so much when I rolled my XJ on the highway with my buddy. We were fine. The only injury he got was a bump on the head from unbuckling his seatbelt without realizing he was upside down. Looking back it's pretty hilarious, I suppose.