my '88 freebie

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

every little bit helps

went to the junkyard today with a buddy and found a cherokee with the 2.5 and a 4spd so i snagged the oil cap just in case it seals better than the one i ordered (which it seemed to be a little better) and took the shifter knob. both pocket sized so i only paid $2 (mine and my friends entry fee)

so i went from this...

...to this...

and it feels much better :thumbsup:

alright, here's another picture heavy milestone with my MJ :D

got my tires in and on the truck

they took up way too much space in my room so i had to get them mounted ASAP

but first had to debate on whether to go white letters out or black out

so i went and got some new lugnuts, emptied out all the trash from the bed and put the new goodies in the back. threw on the license plate from my DD and took 'er around the corner to the firestone shop.

here's a pic with one new tire (lugs only finger threaded obviously) and one old

...couple more shots in the shop...

got an alignment done too while i was there. here's leavin the shop, before the first ride

got home and turned the wheel to where the tire comes closest to the fender, just to check clearance.

no rubbing (at least with no flex in the suspension lol) ill probably have to trim a lil before any wheelin

i plan on adding another 2" of lift whenever i swap axles. just throw in some pucks up front, order some new packs for the rear instead of AAL and get some shackles. then brake lines and shocks. i figure do it all at the same time as long as I'm going through the trouble of changing out the axles that way i only have to fight the coils once

couple more pics...

• 1 month later...

Naterenfo1 - ask and you shall receive :yes: more lift will be added very soon :thumbsup:

so, I'm making progress with my brake overhaul, right? ive got my booster and mast. cyl. in now

looks pretty good. had to bend new lines to the front proportioning valve because the old ones were rusted and the back one broke and started leaking while i was trying to loosen it.

here's the old booster/mast. cyl.

anyways....I'm ready to put the new rotors and calipers in, and realized i forgot the bearings. so i run to the store and get my bearings, seals, grease, etc. get my bearings packed, and find out the guy gave me the wrong seals. at this point, the store is closed so i had to call it quits.

BTW! check out this rotor! :eek: :ack:

(i knew it was like this. just finally got to take it off and compare it to a new one lol)

GROOOVVYYYYYY

well, a day or two later, i get a response from a craigslist ad i replied to which brings this overhaul to a screeching halt. reason? i now have a good portion of the parts needed for my swap. Dana 44 rear with lsd, Dana 30 front, 5spd man. trans. (puke-goat), AMC 231 transfer case, and "everything i need from the (donor) truck to make the swap" including shifter, linkage, driveshaft, crossmember, etc.

special thanks to Lsmurphy for posting the craigslist ad on Comancheclub.com :cheers:

i just happened to stumble upon it on a post here. clicked the link, and was shocked to find it only about 30 miles from me :banana:

so far i only have the trans and t/c. the rest needs to be pulled for my next trip. I'm going to add a lil more lift to it while I'm swapping axles, since ill already be under there

today i took it out of my truck and cleaned it up a lil with some brake parts cleaner and a couple rags so i could store it in my garage (until its ready to go in)

it actually cleaned up fairly easy. i wasnt tryin to make it spotless, just figured itd be nice to see what I'm workin with. the t/c has a lot of red clay stuck to it though :shake:

more parts to come = more pics soon

you didnt miss it, i just forgot i havent updated for a while. the booster and mast. cyl. came together for about a hundred bucks (reman.) off of rockauto.com

their website is basically a catalog. you just select your vehicle and browse parts. the booster and mast. cyl. are re-manufactured parts for an '88 comanche pioneer 2.5l. i buy a lot of stuff there...theyve usually got some good deals, and their shipping times are amazing. usually by the 2nd business day i have whatever i order.

you didnt miss it, i just forgot i havent updated for a while. the booster and mast. cyl. came together for about a hundred bucks (reman.) off of rockauto.com

their website is basically a catalog. you just select your vehicle and browse parts. the booster and mast. cyl. are re-manufactured parts for an '88 comanche pioneer 2.5l. i buy a lot of stuff there...theyve usually got some good deals, and their shipping times are amazing. usually by the 2nd business day i have whatever i order.

:agree: They seem to have just about every factory part that I've needed in the past. Ordered my gas tank from them at it was here within the week.

looks like youl be busy with the drive train for a bit but once you get back to the floor repair do your self a favor and don't put back that felt sound dedening try some of this instead. it closed cell foam floor panels from sears. one pack will cover everything. with a heat gun and some duct tape you to can have a nice solid sounding diamond plate under your new carpet

but before you do that maybe you might want a floor drain

i recommend rockauto for just about anything. its usually the first place i look :thumbsup:

john - thats lookin pretty amazing! :bowdown:

i threw away my old carpet and am still leaning towards rhino-lining my floors, but ill keep that stuff in mind...especially for any future projects. nice spot welds too, might i add. i wish i had a decent welder. i still need to make some drain holes. looks like you custom fabbed those yourself?

ill finish my floors eventually. right now i just need to focus on gathering the rest of my parts for the swap. the axles are going in first but itll probably happen after my vacation. I'm going to colorado to visit my buddy in less than a month but ill have the axles home by then. i need to order my new leaf packs, coil spacers, and shocks first. then swap the axles. and thenn ill be able to rip out a lot of the old and really go to town :wrench:

the drain was pretty easy i just cut it out of a 55 gallon drum. my passenger side was in good shape so i did not take any pics but i took the smaller bung plug and cut it to the same shape as the factory floor plug and just popped it in. everything is covered up with undercaoting or i would show you what it looked like.

i had a vinyl floor liner in mine originaly and i replaced it with the same .i got it at rockauto for $150.00. iff you go that way make sure you let it sit for about a month or so. i put mine is as soon as i got it and it was in febuary here in ohio so i figured it could not get any smaller but after a year it shrank about an inch or so.

I'm expecting my new leafs tomorrow i got them from hellcreek. i have been waiting for about a month for them ill post some pics when they come in. i am going with a 3" lift.

oh thanks for the :bowdown: i felt the spot welds worked better than trying to run a long bead. i over laped the floor pan and drilled holes every 2" then screwed everything together to hold in tight until i welded it, i should write it up and post it but i don't type very fast here is a link to my photos

you do very nice work. looks "textbook"....exactly how repairs looked when i was in trade school. down to the sheet metal screws to hold things in place before tacking. thats the way to do it. the spot weld method would have been my approach if i had actually gotten floor pans. and believe me, if i knew that id be going this far in depth with this truck, i would have taken my time and done it right from the beginning. my long beads sucked mainly because of the welder i used. no gas and only a high/low switch for heat. I'm not proud of any of the welds, but I'm satisfied with how it turned out, given how i actually approached it. but this is my first project and won't be my last. i can always come back and tackle the floor again in the future. better yet, i will. someday. when all mechanical stuff is done with and i have a nice welder and other tools instead of doing what i can in my parents driveway with the extreme anxiety of finally getting this thing on the road.

I'm going with the 4.5" springs from hell creek and going to add coil spacers to my existing 3" coils. should sit pretty close to level but we'll see. a (very) slight reverse rake won't look bad either IMO. the pictures at the top of page 6 are after my 3" rough country kit with AAL but I'm sure you know that already. my leafs were pretty warn out though. i knew id eventually go bigger so AAL was temp. just thought id actually use it before going bigger lol.

thanks a lot ,comes from working 30 years in a machine job shop. once you pick the welder back up again try using flux core wire. is smokes alot and there is a bit of splatter but you don't need any gas and its not to bad welding upside down accept for the splatter :fs1:

its looking good so far thought. i was hoping to put a front drive unit in my DD cherokee so ill be intresed in how it all turns out.

it actually was flux wire. if i work on the floor again, ill have a new welder by then. with the heat switch on high, i was burning through too much and with it on low, i didnt have good penetration. and every patch was different so the whole thing was pretty much just experimenting. i had to fool around with the feed speed a lot to get good beads but its sturdy and quieter so its good for now

i honestly don't care about the interior right now. I'm so anxious to pick up my axles :jump:

well...my d44 has made its way out of the donor. d30 is almost there

the cool thing is, i don't have to do the work. the guy just sent me a pic to tell me the parts are almost ready for pick up. it was pretty nice to get a picture message of my new axle after a hard days work :cheers: so probably saturday ill be hauling them home

hell creek spring pack and the the stock one. the new springs are a 3" lift

when i redid the brake lines last year when the bed was off i also took the liberty to move the flex line mount from the frame down about 4" on the back side of the sensor bracket

looks great man :thumbsup:

can't wait to get mine, except I'm going with the 4.5" springs. i ordered my coils spacers earlier, but before i can order anything else, i have to go pay for my axles and haul em home

I'm gonna have some fun cleanin up the parts once i get them home :ack:

axles are home comanche.gif

also got my coil spacers in the mail. gonna be a lil while before i can put everything together. i still have to order leafs and shocks. got a trip to colorado comin up and moneys tight for now. but once march rolls around, ill be goin to work on this beast :wrench: :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

here's a picture heavy update for yall since i havent posted in a while. i got my dana 30 all cleaned up and under the truck with a total of 5" of lift :banana:

(just a couple of before shots underneath)

...it took me a while to get this far due to my two jobs and my body not wanting to get out of bed when it doesnt have to

i actually had to turn the 2wd axle parallel to the truck itself to break it free of the pitman arm

but i eventually got it as you can see

at this point, i had my coil spacers so i went ahead and threw them on. then moved the D30 from the side of the house to the driveway. that mother is heavy!!! :eek:

sprayed some degreaser on it and cracked open a few more beers :cheers:

then hosed it down and called it a night. next day i took a rag to it and gave it some elbow grease. it came out lookin pretty good for an axle that came out of a truck that was on fire :thumbsup:

i figured out that when youre fighting one of these by yourself for alignment, you start to get pretty creative with jacks, stands, cinder blocks, and anything else around lol

finally got all control arms hooked up and the coil springs in. got the tires on, whole thing down, and even managed to make the sway bar reach. put the shocks from the 3" kit in and theyre pretty much maxed out. brake lines are still a no-go though...the bolts are completely rounded off :rant:

...in daylight...

now ive got the D44 on jackstands ready for a good cleanin :brows:

i fly out to colorado in the morning for a week though, so itll be a while before any more updates. i still need to order the leaf packs before i can even put the 44 in. (the rear is still sittin at 3" AAL on saggy stock leafs with 5" up front) so hopefully once i get my tax moneys ill be able to order the 4.5" packs from hell creek, some longer shocks, and maybe ill still have enough for the adjustable track bar and steering stabilizer shock....but we'll see how much $$$ is spent on vacation image_209027.gifimage_209027.gifimage_209027.gif

• 1 month later...

well it seems i never have the time to post stuff on here anymore so every update is a pretty massive one lol. ive got my rear axle in and its sittin on all four tires again :banana:

ive got lots of pics and ill even throw in a few from Colorado

...anywayss...i pulled out the ol' 35

next to the 44

(this was before my leaf springs came in) took about 3 weeks, but i finally got em

next to the old ones (WITH add-a-leafs still in the old packs)

..i also installed my dads old fog lights because he bought new ones for his truck and put in my 4x4 shifter, even though its not connected to anything (this was before the springs came in)

..back to the serious stuff..

got this far and realized i needed to buy bigger U-bolts. i knew the 44 was thicker, but somehow it slipped my mind :shake:

and of course none of the local stores had any the right size so i ordered some from skyjacker

^finally back on the ground. forgot i needed to cut my U-bolts to tighten them :doh:

andddd...in daylight....

can't wait to drive it again. its driving me mad :wall:

but of course all of the nuts on the brake lines rounded out so ill have to replace them all on top of extending them. i guess thats my luck

other than that, its just longer shocks, new steering stabilizer, and adjustable track bar. then i can get some tags on it. after that ill be hunting for my 4.0 to do the other half of the swap