the power trans switch

since the 87-90 era has the renix system and later 91+ has OBD system, the TCU may adapt to the engine/trans load

the renix system was more a basic electronic no brain system, so you choose power or normal shifting

this is how I understand that switch

• 2 weeks later...
since the 87-90 era has the renix system and later 91+ has OBD system, the TCU may adapt to the engine/trans load

the renix system was more a basic electronic no brain system, so you choose power or normal shifting

this is how I understand that switch

Defineately not the case. Contrary to popular myth the deletion of the power/comfort switch had absoluetely nothing to do with Renix vs OBD1. The switch carried over into the '91 model year and possibly the '92 year. (My '91 had one my '93 didn't).

End year for this is '92. My '91 Eliminator had it, my '92 Eliminator does not.

The story that I have gotten from old Jeep Techs and tinkerers is that the "Comfort" setting allowed for softer shift points, which make the clutch packs slip a bit more, which made the friction discs not last as long. As well as bad fuel mileage since the clutch packs were slipping more than usual...

So in '92 they decided to stick to the firm shifted, better mileage Power option, and hard wired it in.

Rob L.

power setting = normal

comfort setting = why on earth does this even exist in the world? :dunno: It's right up there with the CAD and the Dana 35. not Jeep's finest moments.

Never bothered putting it in when I originally put the AW4 in years ago but I threw it in when I did the re-wiring this spring. Really, really glad I did. It stayed in "power" until the first time I tried driving on snow covered roads in 2wd :eek: Helps out quite abit to be able to lug it down a bit more on the hills. I'm actually finding the combination of the lower bottom end torque of the HO motor and being able to rev it lower a bit better in the snow.

I never used the power-comfort switch until the other day while driving into town. When I switched to comfort a soft pillow popped from the head rest behind my neck, two hands came out of no where and began giving me a massage and a hot toddy appeared in the cup holder.

Only in a Jeep. :rotfl2:

i don't think mine works i fliped it on in the snoe there was now dif in the power i had

It doesn't affect the engine, so it can't produce more (or less) power. ALL it does is change the shift points, and make the tranny engage the gears more softly (which, as noted, equates to more slippage and more wear on the bands).