anyone else go through jeeps/cars like water?

JeepcoMJ

I seem to get sick of cars very easily...trying to figure out why.

currently, I'm DDing a '92 crown victoria 4.6l with 47k miles, no rust, and a couple dents. it's a solid car and runs absolutely GREAT.

but...I'm not happy with it. it's too low to the ground (I have DD'd an mj with 31" tires at the smallest since I was 17...I'm about 24 now.

and it seems that I always revert to wanting an xj again...then I buy some POS that has a decent body but requires far too much effort to get back to driveable status, unless I manage to drive it for 10 years so that the work I put into it pays off.

I sold my '97 converted to '98 5 speed xj that I put alot of work into...and am still working on here and there for the owner. Sold it because I needed the $$$ and had a friend's car at the time.

between that, and never being happy with the vehicle and always having to tear it apart (sometimes for several months) just to put it back together with "upgrades"...well, it seems no matter what I do, I'm just not going to be happy, and I'll keep digging a hole.

anywho....anyone else ever get like that?

-Pat

Yep. You know me. The only thing keeping me from turfing the ZJ is how nice it looks, and the fact that I keep working out the quirks. I would kill for its '98 XJ Limited equivalent in the same color. Other than that, I go through just about as many MJ's as you, we've even gone in on a couple together and turfed them...

I just think it comes from boredom, or something like that. Or a love of vehicles.

Never satisfied.

Rob L. :dunno:

In the little over 2 years I've had my license I've owned six vehicles, all Jeeps. At one point I had 3 in my driveway. I almost bought something non jeep a few months back, but ended up buying another XJ. So yea, I go through cars like water too

the key is to find a good dd, and DON'T TOUCH IT. :no: Touch the other ones that I know you have. :D

my dd is a minivan. winter performance is excellent (though it's not like I live in Colorado), it has been pretty darn reliable, there's plenty of room for hauling projects around, and I've got no inclination to heavily mod the thing. :D

well, maybe an inch of lift and some 29" tires... :rotf:

Yes, Ive been there. I'm 37 now, but 15-20 years ago, it was a different car every year or two.... all mostly junk and projects in between, trying to make something nice to drive, but then loose interest in and sell... loosing my but in the process. That was when I lived up north, and all my beaters were rust buckets, and so were my nice cars. Ive never made back what I put into a car ever. Ive never really expected to though either so Ive never been too disappointed. Then 11 years ago or so I met a girl, and bought my first NICE car so I could deal better with our long distance relationship (at the time) The Grand Wagoneer I had was just too bad on gas and leaked too much oil to be making 600 mile round trip runs once a month. I know its sad to say but that first real Nice car I bought was a 4 year old Hyundai Accent, with 36,000 miles on it for $5000. I still have it with over 150,000 on the clock now. Sold my last project VW a year and a half ago, and now am playing with our beloved Jeeps. My MJ... if I ever sell, I might make some money on... but only because its rust free, and I paid $250 for it. Even with all Ive done to it at this point, I have less than $1000 into it. But I havent done an engine rebuild or put any kind of lift on it yet, so I still might get to loose my but! For some of us, this way of life with a diferent car every year or so will never change. As long as we have a place to work on them and the spare cash to do it with, there will always be another project.

yeah, i'm the same way.. getting better though, i used to switch cars at least once a year, buti've had the mj going on 4 years now, and my daily driver '95 chevy truck ive had about 3.... every once in a while i get the itch to replace the chevy (it's pushing 330k miles now and the cab is almost rusted out enough to fail state inspection), but a quick trip through the auto trader to see what newer chevys are selling for usually kills the urge... i did the tranny on it 2 years ago and the motor was done by the PO and is still strong, so i guess ill just keep running it until the body falls off, which i figure will be sometime this spring with the amount of salt they've spread on the roads so far this year :rotf:

I lose interest in vehicles about every three months, but I do something a little differently than the rest of you - I rarely ever sell my other vehicles. The first vehicle I had for any significant amount of time was a 1991 3000GT VR-4 twin turbo. Lots of mods, but I got sick of the 13MPG around town with the poor tune I put on it. Then I switched to Jeeps. Started with my '88MJ SporTruck, but the injectors leaked so bad, the crankcase was full of gas. Bearings are all likely trashed, compression is low, although it still ran and got 12MPG. Parked it in my shop in 2005 and it has sat there ever since. Then I switched to the XJ and still have my '01 as a DD, but I came full circle again and got back into the MJ, bought a couple more and then switched back to the XJ, bought four of those and now I'm getitng into the ZJs - bought a 5.9L Limited and looking at picking up a '97 5.2L Orvis. Oh, and I started restoring the interior of my 1991 3000GT VR-4 last week, so we're back to that again. Also just got the opportunity to pick up a '65 CJ-5 that needs to be finished. Keep in mind that this has all taken place in a matter of 5-6 years.

I'm just glad my wandering mind is with vehicles and not girls...that gets you into a lot more trouble.

the key is to find a good dd, and DON'T TOUCH IT. :no: Touch the other ones that I know you have. :D

The man speaks the truth. The two most reliable vehicles that I've ever had were the ones I never touched other than basic maintenance. The ones that I modified were the ones always giving me troubles. It was an issue at the time because the vehicles I was modifying were my ONLY vehicles, but not so much anymore. If one of them goes down, I got two more waiting in the wings to take over daily driver duties.

I thought I could buy a 5.9L Limited ZJ, fix all the minor problems with it and just LEAVE IT ALONE. You can't. No one can. Just ask Superwade2 - he just bought one and is hooked. About a month after purchasing mine, I now have a supercharger for it sitting in my living room as well as a mound of other parts sitting in my shop.

I LIKE having modified DD's.

...if I could have my G60 vw cabriolet back, I'd DD it in a heart beat.

and this is blasphemy...but the best vehicle I've ever driven in the snow was my VW cabriolet. better than a jeep hands down. that was with blizzak's on it in the winter, though.

and, I think that's where I need to get to so that I'm happy...3 vehicles, modified as I choose, with never more than one in the shop, unless something breaks.

my insurance just got cheaper, too....I have full coverage now on 3 vehicles plus renter's insurance, and I'm paying what I was this time last year for liability on just one vehicle.

I am just about 25 and have only burned through one car, a stock 1997 Miata. I bought it in September '08 to take DD duties away from my TJ. The next January ('09) I bought my MJ to DD and sold the Miata very quickly. I realized that the car was not big enough to be a DD, granted it was very comfortable to drive even though I am 6'3".

My TJ was the first vehicle I paid cash for, in 2003, and I am still daily driving it. The MJ is...umm, down to the shell but will be my DD once complete.

I get it from my Grandparents. They drive their cars until the wheels fall off. In all of my life I have only known my grandfather to have two vehicles, a 70s El Camino and now a late 90's Explorer.

I LIKE having modified DD's.

Me too, otherwise I wouldn't modify them :D

and, I think that's where I need to get to so that I'm happy...3 vehicles, modified as I choose, with never more than one in the shop, unless something breaks.

my insurance just got cheaper, too....I have full coverage now on 3 vehicles plus renter's insurance, and I'm paying what I was this time last year for liability on just one vehicle.

:agree: This is what I'm in the process of doing. Three modified vehicles - always have at least two of them up and running, but normally always have one in the shop being worked on/tinkered with. The worst case scenario happened to me in mid-December. XJ went down with a weird metal clanking noise in the rear - towed it home to my shop. ZJ had no reverse making it not very practical to take to certain places - parked it in the shop and put in a new trans. Still had the MJ to drive to work and run errands. Currently have all three up and running right now, but the ZJ is about to go under the knife to receive over 3 grand in mods :D

Insurance rates are high, but manageable. Once I high-tail it out of NJ they'll come crashing down that it'll be pocket change.

I DD the Manche and I figure thats how it should be.

Try and fix up the crown vic like this:

I know crown vics have a following.

but...I'm not a cop, I'm not black, I'm not mexican, and I'm not an idiot.

so that rules me out of modding it.

I literally have zero interest in it. started to do a P71 swap to it...but just don't care enough to bother.

but...I'm not a cop, I'm not black, I'm not mexican, and I'm not an idiot.

Dayem, that's quote-worthy. Such a contradictory declaration. I think I'll add it to my signature.

Naw, better not..............

people who fit their race's stereotype prefer vehicles such as the crown vic.

is that better?

people who fit their race's stereotype prefer vehicles such as the crown vic. is that better?

Better. But suggest you add to your perceived stereotypes Aussies, Middle Easterners, senior citizens, and taxi drivers.

regardless...it's not really my cup of tea.