I think im throwing the BS flag on this 1....

ComancheKid45

Give this a view and tell me what you think......is it worth a shot? is it gonna detinate my engine... I can't imangine something as simple of "add this to your fuel" can make that huge of a difference, Something i just came across during boardem.

Have at it :cheers:

Its a load of crap..

IF his tune-up and synthetic oil caused an increase of 3mpg, or 18%, he had some neglected maintenance going on.

Makes you think of some unanswered questions....

A. Where is he REALLY getting his fuel? If he is so focused on the price, he is not going to be as concerned about the quality of the fuel or its components.

B. Location, Location, Location.. Where is he driving at?? Is he in a location that uses winter blends, or anti-smog blends?

C. Human nature... Whether he likes to admit it or not, if he really is trying to adopt hyper-miler behavior then changing his driving style will go ALOT longer than dumping a solvent in your tank.

D. Acetone is a strong solvent. It will dissolve crud in your fuel system.. Including you injectors.. Since he admits it(without admitting it) that he has neglected maintenance on his car and most likely buys whatever the cheapest fuel is, how dirty was his fuel system and injectors??

E. What time of year is it?? temperature and humidity changes effect the operation of a car alot more than people like to think.

The thought has been around a long time, and I had looked into it myself about 5 years ago. The amounts are small (0.5 to 2 ounces per 10 gallons, or roughly 0.1% solution). At those quantities it should not affect much, including O2 sensor or energy density. What it does do is lower the surface tension of the gasoline causing it to atomize better. If you have old cruddy injectors with a poor spray pattern it can make a pretty big difference (or the original single hole Siemens injectors in our trucks). With good injectors (like a new set of Bosch 4 hole ones) the difference from the acetone gets smaller because the injectors themselves atomize the fuel better. That is why most people (including myself) have seen up to a 15% increase in mileage just from changing out the injectors.

If you keep your vehicle in good condition mechanically, use a good grade of fuel and use a good quality fuel filter, the difference would be too small to make it worth the hassle, or the cost of the acetone. You can get better results just by changing your driving style (called "hypermiling" if taken to extremes).

These claims come in cycles and have for years.

The consensus seems to be that if your vehicle is neglected, you will see an initial jump from acetone due to its cleaning properties. Fuel injectors, etc... function better after initial use. BUT.. the actual mileage claims are generally inflated and do not seem to exist for new or well maintained vehicles. You never see these claims for a brand new vehicle. The cheerleaders tout its wonders, but then slowly stop their miraculous claims. On most vehicle related boards you can find such claims by posters, but they never seem to follow-up with long term results and then drop the subject in the cases I have seen.

There is also an argument about the effect of increased solvent levels on fuel system parts with long-term use.

I add 2 oz's of molasses to my fuel system at each fill-up and I am now getting 48.5 mpg in a 360-powered dually Dodge truck. There, it is written on the internets so it must be true. :D

I know some old school drag racers use acetone to keep the engine temp. down for bracket racing, but they use very little and then have to change a lot of the fuel components afterwards.

Just seems like an old racers trick used for the wrong reason.

I wonder what his engine temp. was after use?

i've heard of alot of things but never this. it makes sense that it would clean things up and add temporary increases in mileage.

so do you guys think this would be a good idea to add to the gas 1 time to get things cleaned up, say on a vehicle you just purchased and really don't know how it was taken care of? would it work better that seafoam? just curious if i should try it once or not. i've always used seafoam and think it's the greatest stuff on earth.

These claims come in cycles and have for years.

I add 2 oz's of molasses to my fuel system at each fill-up and I am now getting 48.5 mpg in a 360-powered dually Dodge truck. There, it is written on the internets so it must be true. :D

:rotf:

i've heard of alot of things but never this. it makes sense that it would clean things up and add temporary increases in mileage.

so do you guys think this would be a good idea to add to the gas 1 time to get things cleaned up, say on a vehicle you just purchased and really don't know how it was taken care of? would it work better that seafoam? just curious if i should try it once or not. i've always used seafoam and think it's the greatest stuff on earth.

For you no.. it won't make a difference. In your thread on premium fuel, you say you are using ethanol blended fuel. So your injectors will already be as clean as they will get. The ethanol does the same thing cleansing wise.

For you no.. it won't make a difference. In your thread on premium fuel, you say you are using ethanol blended fuel. So your injectors will already be as clean as they will get. The ethanol does the same thing cleansing wise.

i kinda thought it may do the same thing, wasn't really sure. i think seafoam would do a better job as well.